Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Agree with your reasoning but also agree with 3Cforme's logic. It *may* be helpful for other FTers to know where UG's were not received but I wonder about the value of this information given it is spread over 600 posts and of course, may vary with any given property on any given date.

For that matter, the same applies to the UG success thread. Anecdotal data points may offer some guidance but how many will search these entire threads to find their same property, even though their circumstances might be different?

Just wondering if there might be a better way to inform FTers.
Something I think that would help would be not to post on this thread becuase you didn't get an upgrade because the hotel was full. Now if someone knows there are suites and upgrades available definitely post and supply that info, or if you are diamond and don't get upgraded and find out a gold gets upgraded the same day at the same property, post that info as well.

As a Delta Platinum, I am not going to complain if I don't get upgraded because first class is full and every seat is taken by someone that paid to sit up front or by diamonds or other Platinums on a higher fare class that should have been upgraded before me. However if first class goes out with empty seats up front or I find out sheena was involved and a lower medalion not on a Y fare or a NRSA got a favor and is sitting up there and I find out about it, I am going to complain.

If Hilton can't upgrade me because there are no suites or upgraded rooms, I understand. But if I am travelling with a gold and they get upgraded or if there site is showing upgraded rooms can be booked and I don't get upgraded, I am going to complain.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL: DM; MR: GE, HH: Diamond, SPG: Gold
Originally Posted by Sean Mc
2013 to date. Diamond member normally booking at lowest online rate

Wembley - upgrade to suite
Bracknell - "
Croydon - upgrade to exec
Cobham - no upgrade at all
Cobham - upgrade to exec
Watford - no upgrade at all
Croydon - upgrade to suite
How is 'upgrade to exec' an upgrade? Are the rooms better than the other floors? Or do you just get to be on the same floor as the lounge that you already get access to as a Diamond anyway?
Old Mar 12, 2013, 3:22 am

Programs: M&M FTL, HHonors Diamond, Langham Elite, SPG Corporate Preferred
No suite upgrade at the Basel Hilton on a 1-night C&P stay.

Was upgraded to the Executive Floor (rooms are the same as all the others), online I could have booked Suites...

Was too tired to argue.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If Hilton can't upgrade me because there are no suites or upgraded rooms, I understand. But if I am travelling with a gold and they get upgraded or if there site is showing upgraded rooms can be booked and I don't get upgraded, I am going to complain.
Nobody is complaining here! This thread is providing feedback - whether you choose to see it as valuable or not is up to you.

I for example have read here that the Conrad BKK does not upgrade diamonds to suites but routinely upgrades one level higher. I can adjust my expectations at this property or even choose to avoid it if that is my preference.

Keep up the good work posters!
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by esac
How is 'upgrade to exec' an upgrade? Are the rooms better than the other floors? Or do you just get to be on the same floor as the lounge that you already get access to as a Diamond anyway?
Upgrade from a basic double to an executive double. Of the hotels listed only Wembley has a lounge.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Diamond, booked Standard king

Hanoi Opera: upgrade to exec room (not suite) - 2 stays within one week
Conrad Bangkok: upgrade to exec room (not suite)

In other words, as expected.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hilton Budapest Westend - booked king standard received king executive. In my previous 5/6 stays I had received a Jr Suite so I guess they were quite full.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 3:22 pm

This Diamond is one for 35 when it comes to room upgrades this year. A Hampton
Suites provided an unexpected upgrade.

The first trinket this year arrived last night. I'm in-town during a national NCAA
event. IIRC, the last few rooms at this Hampton were fetching ~$240/nite. For
my contract $80-something rate, I was expecting bupkus. Heck, I was wondering
if they'd walk-me 40-50 miles away to pocket another $600 over the four nights.

I was astonished to find a fruit basket w/personalized/handwritten card in my
room, acknowledging being a Diamond and thanking me for my business.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Mar 22, 2013 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 23, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
NO failure so far this year:

Conrad Hong Kong - upgrade to suite
Conrad Singapore - upgrade to exec
Hilton Beijing - upgrade to exec
Doubletree Milford/Boston (2 stays) - upgrade to exec
Hilton Helsinki Strand - upgrade to exec
Hilton Santa Clara - upgrade to exec

Not too bad!

Upcoming:
Hilton Beijing
Hilton Sydney (may be)
Waldorf Astoria Orlando

Let's see what happens

Last edited by sapguy; Mar 23, 2013 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 23, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hhonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, AVIS Presidents' Club

As this thread starts from 2012 it is a benefit for Diamonds to get upgraded to suite if possible. I am in this belief as well ever since January 2012. I managed to get quite a few upgrades since but last time I didn't get it and complained based on this rule as they were full of empty suites that day online. The hotel told me there is no such rule. I wanted to look it up for them from T&C but I couldn't find it anywhere. Ask Diamond desk about it and they quoted me the line about "upgrade to a preferred room".

So this suite thing is now revoked for Diamonds in 2013? And what is this preferred room? Whose preference is this? Mine or the hotel's preference? I prefer a Presidential suite but they will prefer a standard guestroom.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Wadge
As this thread starts from 2012 it is a benefit for Diamonds to get upgraded to suite if possible. I am in this belief as well ever since January 2012. I managed to get quite a few upgrades since but last time I didn't get it and complained based on this rule as they were full of empty suites that day online. The hotel told me there is no such rule. I wanted to look it up for them from T&C but I couldn't find it anywhere. Ask Diamond desk about it and they quoted me the line about "upgrade to a preferred room".

So this suite thing is now revoked for Diamonds in 2013? And what is this preferred room? Whose preference is this? Mine or the hotel's preference? I prefer a Presidential suite but they will prefer a standard guestroom.
It is in T&C:
"At Waldorf Astoria® Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ properties, Diamond HHonors guests will receive upgrades to preferred rooms, based on availability at the time of check-in (excludes Napua Tower at Grand Wailea and Imperial Floor at Rome Cavalieri). Upgrades for Diamond HHonors guests may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, as identified by each property. Upgrades exclude executive suites, villas and specialty accommodations"
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html

6. What constitutes a "room upgrade?"
Complimentary room upgrades for Gold and Diamond HHonors members may include the next-best available room from the room type booked. Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, or rooms on Executive Floors, as identified by each property. Room upgrades, for Diamond members only, may also include suites.
http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/myway-benefits/faq.html

So it is the wording, may, but doesn't have to. SPG rules says: "Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites." With SPG if suite is available and you don't get it, you can complain, at HHonors due to "may" wording you can't really complain.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Conrad Centennial - Singapore

Booked King standard, given just that. No complaints though, first time here, EL and staff are incredible. Two nights on CitiBank Visa Reserve sign-up bonus and two nights on Hilton "Be Our Guest" apology certificates - non revenue stay, so suite upgrade not expected. Very relaxing lounge with excellent caffe lattes. They're trying something new: weekends in the lounge offer a buffet style spread, but new on weekdays (M-F) is now an "afternoon tea service." Staff said they're trying to mix things up a bit; nice touch, but will become old very fast if you're a regular guest here.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Mar 31, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Rock at Palmer house Chicago weekend of march 15. I got an exec level room upgrade but what really p**sed me off was I know a gold that received a better exec upgrade. A property should not be giving a better upgrade to a gold than a dianond

Currently at Hilton Bentley in Miami. Also a rock but they are full and the manager attempted to upgrade me midstay yesterday but they ended up selling those suites so can't complain. At least they are giving diamonds the full buffet now and only charging the upgrade charge to golds
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:03 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Booked King standard, given just that. No complaints though, first time here, EL and staff are incredible. Two nights on CitiBank Visa Reserve sign-up bonus and two nights on Hilton "Be Our Guest" apology certificates - non revenue stay, so suite upgrade not expected. Very relaxing lounge with excellent cafe lattes. They're trying something new: weekend in the lounge offer a buffet style spread, but new on weekends is now "afternoon tea service." Staff said they're trying to mix things up a bit; nice touch, but will become old very fast if you're a regular guest here.
Conrad SIN is great, however being HH Diamond I was never given a suite upgrade despite numerous stays and leaving significant amount of money at this property.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Not sure if this is the right place for it but....
Do any of you email the hotel in advance to request an upgrade (or anything else)? Who do you contact? The concierge or just a general shout out to whatever email address you can find? What do you say?
We haven't had an upgraded room in so long I don't remember the last time. We do book on a corporate rate but still...I'd think we'd get thrown a bone now and then. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to increase the chances to get the occasional boost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.