Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2014, 3:42 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arlflyer
The closest the hhonors T&Cs come to suggesting that suite upgrades are a benefit of the program is where they say that "Upgrades may also be rooms with desirable views, corner rooms, rooms on high floors, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, as identified by each property." So it is a kitchen-sink policy (like almost all the hhonors T&Cs) and each property has full discretion. I agree that if hhonors wanted to be more competitive they would need to strengthen this benefit.
I know. One of the low points was last weekend though. Booked a Queen Room at the Doubletree London Tower and got exactly that, with no view what-so-ever. Also, the placed me on a fairly low floor, far away from the elevator, which is the opposite of what my profile specifies. *facepalm*
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by agehall
I know. One of the low points was last weekend though. Booked a Queen Room at the Doubletree London Tower and got exactly that, with no view what-so-ever. Also, the placed me on a fairly low floor, far away from the elevator, which is the opposite of what my profile specifies. *facepalm*
Guys, I'm just going to have to come clean on one thing. All of these downgrades of benefits by Hilton - tiered internet access with 90's-era speeds for elites, extension of the cancellation window to stick it to stranded travelers, reduced lounge offerings, upgrades being switched away from complimentary and towards NOR-1, the awful online check-in thing that all but guarantees you will not get upgrades...they're all completely my fault. Why, you say? Because this is the year I finally chose to earn diamond, and that is the kind of luck I have.

Even as someone who stays a lot at Hamptons and more rural properties, Hyatt is really tempting me to somehow scrape up those 25 stays next year. 5 fewer stays a year for confirmed suite upgrades, guaranteed late check-outs, room service breakfast benefits...yeah, what was I thinking?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 10:55 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Maybe its a UK service thing?
I stay mainly in what I would call "provincial" properties. London and abroad have tended to be better upgrades (and historically my best upgrades ever were in Arizona).

Last edited by Skimanant; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Hilton Americas - Houston

Dec '14 - No suite upgrade....
Old Dec 18, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by AJLondon
HGV Orlando

Upgraded from studio to a 1 bedroom suite, but only after I asked if a better room was available as the studio they had pre-allocated was totally against my stated preferences (high floor, away from elevator).
I wonder if saved preferences ever prevent us from getting an upgrade. If the only suite or exec room available were near an elevator, would we be left in a standard king on non-exec floor further from elevator?

Originally Posted by PHL
I don't think it matters if they have a reason for not upgrading a Diamond to a suite as long as they've given some type of upgrade that's available. So, adding the 'or suites' words to the upgrade benefits doesn't really matter because hotels used to upgrade members to suites when they wanted to. This policy doesn't force them to do it any more than the old one did.

The new Diamond benefits don't guarantee a suite upgrade, even if there are some available. The benefit still provides for a litany of upgrade options that the hotel has ultimate discretion. If you get upgraded from a deluxe standard room to a corner king that's classified as superior, then the hotel has met its HHonors obligation - even if there is an unoccupied basic suite.
Yeah, and for this reason the upgrade game still seems rather murky and arbitrary. Even using the word "Entitled" seems a little unclear to me as what they give you for an upgrade depends on what they claim is available (often nothing) and/or what they feel like giving you which might be a lot more than you are technically "entitled" to, or no upgrade at all.

At least most airlines have a fairly clearly stated upgrade priority (when they operate like they should, which is sometimes) and you can easily see your upgrade priority number and the inventory available.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
I agree bbriscoe, it is too opaque. It would be nice to see on arrival diamonds are upgraded to best available room/ suite, rather than may/ could. Apparently diamonds are about 2.5% of total members.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo Hiliton: Booked a Jr Suite and was upgraded to a 2 room suite.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 7:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TomMM
Tokyo Hiliton: Booked a Jr Suite and was upgraded to a 2 room suite.
Why do you consider this a "Diamond suite upgrade failure"?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Wow - I can't believe people are documenting individual stays. I stayed 61 nights at Hilton this year and did not get one suite upgrade (they tried to convince me to buy an upsell many times). The next 150 nights went to other hotel chains.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Why do you consider this a "Diamond suite upgrade failure"?
Guessing that at that moment in time the "suite failure" and "suite success" threads were right next to each other in the list and the poster clicked the wrong one by accident.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Currently at Hilton SF (Union Square), no upgrade (Hhonors floor, tiny room, not much dresser space).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.