Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Michael19887
Same stay length (1 night) and reserved same room on same rate as me. He checked in 15 minutes before me and the front desk clerk told me when I brought it up that "he asked and got the last one."
I would DEFINITELY complain to the GM and the diamond desk. This is totally unacceptable.

Upgrades should be based on status, not who ask.

I am really surprised they did this. They always treated me great as a diamond. They gave me suite upgrades before it was a benefit for diamonds, and every stay there if a suite wasn't available I was put on the 10th floor. I have never had a problem getting a 2 to 4 p.m. checkout. I haven't stayed there since January, but last time I stayed they didn't give gold's lounge access unless they were on 10, so I am really surprised they are giving a gold a suite upgrade and won't give a diamond an exec floor room.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Hilton Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco: got a suite after I asked. For the last time (for me, anyway): they cease being a Hilton mid-October (which is apparently the cause of all the construction they've been undergoing).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by sethb
Hilton Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco: got a suite after I asked. For the last time (for me, anyway): they cease being a Hilton mid-October (which is apparently the cause of all the construction they've been undergoing).
Is it staying in the Hilton family ? I'm pretty sure it was a Ramada Inn when I lived in the city in 2002.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I would DEFINITELY complain to the GM and the diamond desk. This is totally unacceptable.

Upgrades should be based on status, not who ask.

I am really surprised they did this. They always treated me great as a diamond. They gave me suite upgrades before it was a benefit for diamonds, and every stay there if a suite wasn't available I was put on the 10th floor. I have never had a problem getting a 2 to 4 p.m. checkout. I haven't stayed there since January, but last time I stayed they didn't give gold's lounge access unless they were on 10, so I am really surprised they are giving a gold a suite upgrade and won't give a diamond an exec floor room.
I think I forgot to mention in the above post that suites were available to book online when I was told nothing was available and my coworker got the last one.

I spoke to the Front Desk Manager at checkout about it and got her card. She looked up my account and said it shouldn't have happened, apologized, and said she would address it with the front desk clerk who checked me in and deposited 3,000 points to my account. She was nice about it, but I did think it was interesting that she never said a diamond should always receive a suite upgrade over a gold, but that diamonds should always be upgraded when available. I will call the DDesk as well when I get home.

Although, my coworkers suite gave him more hastle than it was worth. The bedroom portion wasn't ready until 8:30PM(!!!) and there were issues with the keys re-setting everytime he went in the room. He had to get the keys re-coded three times. All of this, in combination with one of the worst breakfasts I've seen at a lounge caused me to cancel my reservations there this year and move to Capital Hilton (but that's for another thread).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao - no upgrade to suite due to cost control.

In favor of this property for the past 2 years as I always receive upgrade to at least Jr. Suite. But my experience is quite different in my most recent stay (a couple of weeks ago).

Booked standard king room, and was told to be upgraded to deluxe king room, one level up. When I questioned why not to a Jr. suite, I was told that this is due to cost control - only one level up allowed, or pay for the difference for suites.

They even took away the complimentary wile, fruit and cookie plates, which I never missed in my previous stays. Same reason given - the guy at exec lounge told me the wine has been replaced by soda water, and I should have a fruit plate in my room. But the reality is I got nothing this time.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by poser
Is it staying in the Hilton family ? I'm pretty sure it was a Ramada Inn when I lived in the city in 2002.
They said it was joining "Preferred Hotels". That leaves Hilton with no property in the Fisherman's Wharf area (unless they grab a new one).
Old Sep 25, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Originally Posted by sethb
They said it was joining "Preferred Hotels". That leaves Hilton with no property in the Fisherman's Wharf area (unless they grab a new one).
Thats pretty odd.. it seems like it was out of place as a Hilton.. even the Yelp reviews said it feels like it should have been a lesser brand and now they are going "luxury".
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by c.l.i.a
In favor of this property for the past 2 years as I always receive upgrade to at least Jr. Suite. But my experience is quite different in my most recent stay (a couple of weeks ago).

Booked standard king room, and was told to be upgraded to deluxe king room, one level up. When I questioned why not to a Jr. suite, I was told that this is due to cost control - only one level up allowed, or pay for the difference for suites.

They even took away the complimentary wile, fruit and cookie plates, which I never missed in my previous stays. Same reason given - the guy at exec lounge told me the wine has been replaced by soda water, and I should have a fruit plate in my room. But the reality is I got nothing this time.
Wow that sucks, looks like another property down the drain....
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Michael19887
I think I forgot to mention in the above post that suites were available to book online when I was told nothing was available and my coworker got the last one.

I spoke to the Front Desk Manager at checkout about it and got her card. She looked up my account and said it shouldn't have happened, apologized, and said she would address it with the front desk clerk who checked me in and deposited 3,000 points to my account. She was nice about it, but I did think it was interesting that she never said a diamond should always receive a suite upgrade over a gold, but that diamonds should always be upgraded when available. I will call the DDesk as well when I get home.

Although, my coworkers suite gave him more hastle than it was worth. The bedroom portion wasn't ready until 8:30PM(!!!) and there were issues with the keys re-setting everytime he went in the room. He had to get the keys re-coded three times. All of this, in combination with one of the worst breakfasts I've seen at a lounge caused me to cancel my reservations there this year and move to Capital Hilton (but that's for another thread).
I REALLY hope you just had a bad front desk clerk and this isn't another property going downhill. This used to be one of the better US Hilton properties as far as treating diamonds right.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, DL PM, Hertz President's Circle
I REALLY hope you just had a bad front desk clerk and this isn't another property going downhill. This used to be one of the better US Hilton properties as far as treating diamonds right.
I hope it was an isolated incident. A manager followed up with me via phone after the call that I made to the DDesk, and she said she wasn't sure why that happened, I should have been preassigned it in the morning since there was availability, and that they will use this as a training opportunity. I already cancelled and moved 2 reservations to Capital Hilton, but based on my interaction with her I will give them another chance and report back at some point.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Hilton Alger - booked standard king and received standard king.

Common areas were OK but the rooms need to be renovated.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rock at the Hilton Atlanta last week. Didn't even get an exec level room, at least the breakfast was good and a full breakfast buffet in addition to lounge access.

What really pissed me off was that I moved to the W Atlanta Midtown for the weekend on a pretty cheap event rate and was given a great upgrade with no SPG status by just being a Delta diamond. Hilton Atlanta would only give me a 2 pm checkout and SPG gave me a 4 p.m. with no hassle.

Stuff like this is making SPG look more attractive. If they treat someone with no status who is only a Delta crossover this good, they have to treat their SPG Platinums great
Old Oct 30, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Hilton Dresden. Exec room. Nor-1 did not clear despite rooms being available to book. It is a beautiful city and well worth visiting. Would not upgrade to a suite because there were a "lot of families". As a result some were not sold (Sunday night stay).
Was offered breakfast in the restaurant as a diamond benefit, but this was already included in my rate.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Miami Beach Bentley

Stayed there last weekend using two citi reward certificates and wasn't upgraded out of the standard studio room. I never get upgraded here even though others (including golds) report upgrades but I think they are always sold out when I stay there and to be fair to them the room rate was around $1,200 a night so got a great deal for the certificates.

Even though there was no upgrade, was treated GREAT as always. Full breakfast buffet, bottle of wine and this time a cheese and fruit plate (delivered at different times, both with a handwritten thank you note), two mojitos and no problems getting more bottled water.

I'd rather have those benefits than a suite upgrade anyday
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Stayed there last weekend using two citi reward certificates and wasn't upgraded out of the standard studio room. I never get upgraded here even though others (including golds) report upgrades but I think they are always sold out when I stay there and to be fair to them the room rate was around $1,200 a night so got a great deal for the certificates.

Even though there was no upgrade, was treated GREAT as always. Full breakfast buffet, bottle of wine and this time a cheese and fruit plate (delivered at different times, both with a handwritten thank you note), two mojitos and no problems getting more bottled water.

I'd rather have those benefits than a suite upgrade anyday
We were there on a Citi FNC 10/19 and were upgraded from a City View to a Partial Ocean View on the top floor. The funny part of the stay was that when we got to the room it was cleaned but there were rose petals, a bottle of sparkling wine (in ice which had melted) and a cheese tray with a note addressed to someone else! Either they were a no show or not hungry/thirsty. When we came back after going out there was a bottle of wine and a note addressed to me.

Next night we were at the Casa Marina in Key West for a seven night rewards stay and were given the same Ocean View King we had booked. My wife called from the room and asked if there was any possibility of a balcony room like those below us. They said they would call back and did and said they couldn't do it for a 7 night stay. Prior to our trip there were balcony rooms available and it sounded like they were doing upgrades at the front desk. After seeing some of the balcony views overlooking the street I was happy with the ocean view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.