Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Munich City {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:21 am

Thank you for that quick response. My husband and I are staying at the Munich City in August and the report of water temperature problems is my only concern.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:27 am

We just got back from our reward stay at the Munich City and I could not have been more pleased. We did not have a water temperature fluctuation issue in our 5th floor room. The Executive Lounge was great -- we particularly enjoyed the outside seating since it was so much cooler in Munich than in Houston! All the staff members were pleasant and competent. The room was comfortable and the location can't be beat! The S-Bahn from/to the airport was very easy, even with luggage. Otherwise, we walked pretty much everywhere. We were really pleased with our decision to stay at the City instead of the Park, and I thank all the flyertalk-ers who helped us make that decision.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by rolltide2
We just got back from our reward stay at the Munich City and I could not have been more pleased. We did not have a water temperature fluctuation issue in our 5th floor room. The Executive Lounge was great -- we particularly enjoyed the outside seating since it was so much cooler in Munich than in Houston! All the staff members were pleasant and competent. The room was comfortable and the location can't be beat! The S-Bahn from/to the airport was very easy, even with luggage. Otherwise, we walked pretty much everywhere. We were really pleased with our decision to stay at the City instead of the Park, and I thank all the flyertalk-ers who helped us make that decision.
I had stayed at this hotel for around 6 weeks last year (between October-December) and around a month from January-February of this year in multiple rooms, and had some issues with the water temperature (the poster who had suggested to start with the cold water, and only add as much hot water to make it comfortable was spot on).

When I returned last month, July, my stay was on the 5th floor, and was pleasantly surprised not to have the same issues. Not sure if they have fixed all of the floors, but hopefully it is the case. The first several days of my stay at this hotel resulted in some scary showers...
Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Glad you had a great time, it is a nice hotel in a good location. look forward to staying there again on my next visit.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
I pretty much echo this review word-for-word. Our 3-day stay was great. I've stayed in three different Starwood properties in Munich before, and this one is the easiest and most convenient to get to when taking S-Bahn from the airport - no transfers and easy access to the hotel. EL was very nice and had better food/drink selection that Hilton Sorrento where we stayed just before this one. Rooms were great, staff was great, location is great - I think I have found my permanent hotel base in Munich for the future.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Migros Cumulus Platinum Hero
Thumbs down No more Hilton Munich

Originally Posted by compwhiz
I pretty much echo this review word-for-word. Our 3-day stay was great. I've stayed in three different Starwood properties in Munich before, and this one is the easiest and most convenient to get to when taking S-Bahn from the airport - no transfers and easy access to the hotel. EL was very nice and had better food/drink selection that Hilton Sorrento where we stayed just before this one. Rooms were great, staff was great, location is great - I think I have found my permanent hotel base in Munich for the future.

I have no idea how bad the Hilton Sorento must have been if someone likes the Munich City Hilton. This hotel is such a dump that I will avoid it in the future.

Rooms are small and basic, lounge food is horribly bad etc. (yesterday: spice tomatoes, some tomatoe soup and some crackers and peanuts). Pfui, this was so awful that I did not stay at the lounge. Staff were unfriendly and incompetent. And Diamond members are treated the same way as Gold members are. No extra benefits.

Today both at the Arabella Sheraton (got a suite upgrade without asking) and at the Hilton Munich Park (also not excellent but ways better than the City Hilton)

For me: Never, never again the City Hilton unless I have no other choice!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum & Hilton Diamond
I see I am not the only one with shower problems in this property Have stayed here many times because the location is great. Walking distance from the city center and trains just below the hotel. But otherwise it is not very good hotel. If I don't have diamond card I think I 'll stay somewhere else. Have also wrote a longer review on my blog and TripAdvisor.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: FB Lifetime Plat
Stayed 2 nights at this property last week.

Location/Access:
We took the S bahn (8) from the airport to Rosenheimer Platz, and took the elevator by the car park.
When we entered the hotel on the ground floor, it had a strong, fishy smell... Obviously someone had ordered some fish in the hotel restaurant.
Fortunately, the smell stayed only on the restaurant/bar side, and not to the reception side.
Otherwise, it is very conveniently located to go to the city center (2 stops to Marienplatz, 4 stops to Main train station).

Check-in:
We booked a deluxe smoking room. The hotel seemed quite full (due to Bavarian holidays).
When we (HH Gold) checked in, we were given choices between 1) deluxe smoking as booked w/exec lounge access 2) upgrade to executive but non-smoking,
so we took 2) and got a room on 4th floor.

Room/Housekeeping
We had pre-ordered an extra pillow, a neck pillow and extra towels on arrival,
but none of them was in the room, probably because we were upgaraded at check-in.
Not a big deal. When we called Housekeeping and asked for extra pillows, they were delivered quickly.

The room itself was OK...nothing fancy.
For an executive room, I found the bathroom pretty tiny, with no seperate shower.
It was not very easy to adjust the shower temperature, but I cannot tell if it was the "famous" problem which many FTers posted here.
After a few attempts, it was manageable.
But the worst part was the water pressure...too weak to have a tonic shower (in the morning).
Also, they put a sticker warning that the bathtub gets filled in only 2 minutes. But when I wanted to take a bath, I had to wait for at least 5-7 minutes.

The next morning, we went out at 9:00, and put the "please clean the room" sign.
However, when we returned at 13:00, our room was not made yet.
We complained to the Housekeeping and they sent someone in 10minutes. Then we went to the exec lounge to kill time for 30 minutes while the room was being made.
OK, it was not a disaster and these things happen at other hotels too,
but it was frustrating to find out that we could not rest in the room right away after the long walk & heavy lunch.

Breakfast in the executive lounge:
Continental breakfast w/some hot items (1st day: scrambled eggs w/bacon + pancakes/2nd day: scrambled eggs w/bacon + pork beans).
We did not try any hot items (they did not look so appetizing except for the pancakes...maybe just a matter of habit),
but the cold items (fresh juices, cereals, yoghurt, ham, cheese, salmon, pork pâté, bread, pastries, etc) were just fine, i.e., nothing to write home about but reasonably good.
It was a little chilly outside, but my husband (smoker) was delighted with the outside seating (several tables/chairs/ashtrays) to have his coffee/cigarette.

Overall, this is a fairly standard 4-star hotel without character.
With the rate we had (129 euros/night) and the free breakfast in the lounge, it was a good deal.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA,LH,AC
deleted

Last edited by kusteneun; Jun 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm Reason: found answer
Old Oct 30, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Recent weekend 1 night stay. E-check in and received upgrade to a King Excecutive Plus room on the 5th floor (the plus appears to be a room on the quieter garden side rather than the main road).

EL open 7am-11pm with very helpful staff always present. The evening snacks and drinks are from 6-8.30pm (8pm on weekends) - the night I was there, it was packed. The 1 computer requires a passcode for 15 minutes access at a time.

The fitness room is currently undergoing renovations, so there are a few machines in a 4th floor room and also the option of free access to a local gym.

Overall, very well presented and efficient hotel and has access directly to S-Bahn
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:11 pm

I stayed there last week for 2 nights.

The check-in staff were incredibly helpful, but did a double take when they realized that a Diamond could actually speak (rusty) German - apparently not that common .

My room was changed to a great junior suite on the 3rd floor and I was given free internet codes. The lounge, as mentioned, was very busy, but I got a table every time. It is still Bavaria, so sharing is OK too! The food and drink were good and varied, but why no great German bread?!? Unfortunately the gym reno is done so no passes to a 'real' gym, but definitely possible to do a workout. GREAT running along the river and through the English gardens though.

I would definitely stay there again.

Dr. PITUK
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:27 pm

I will be staying there with the family in March. What kind of breakfast do they serve - lounge only continental breakfast or full hot breakfast?

Also, I noticed that car parking is 22Euro per night. Any cheaper options? I realize most people don't drive and take public transportation but since I am renting a car in Zurich and driving I don't have much of a choice.

Looks like a suite upgrade is possible. Will it sleep 2 adults and 2 kids comfortably.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by svasandani
I will be staying there with the family in March. What kind of breakfast do they serve - lounge only continental breakfast or full hot breakfast?
Stayed there Nov 2011 and were happy for me to have full brekkie in the restaurant rather than the lounge - highly recommended, excellent spread of food! (see full post in Hilton Breakfasts thread)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold,Hyatt Diamond
Dr. PITUK, it seems you are describing Hilton Munich Park rather than Hilton Munich City??

Anyway, our family had a great stay at Hilton Munich Park, very brief, easy and enjoyable access to old Munich. LOVED being adjacent to the English gardens...Chinese Tower, Seehaus biergarten (our favorite, fun crepes for the kids), boat rentals, bike rentals for the kids. Loved the executive lounge, could choose bfast there or in the restaurant. We had a rental car as well and was able to find a parking spot on the street each night.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by kmwjes
Dr. PITUK, it seems you are describing Hilton Munich Park rather than Hilton Munich City??

Anyway, our family had a great stay at Hilton Munich Park, very brief, easy and enjoyable access to old Munich. LOVED being adjacent to the English gardens...Chinese Tower, Seehaus biergarten (our favorite, fun crepes for the kids), boat rentals, bike rentals for the kids. Loved the executive lounge, could choose bfast there or in the restaurant. We had a rental car as well and was able to find a parking spot on the street each night.
The Munich City is about 200 Meters away from the river and from there to the "Englische Garten" is pretty easy....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.