Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Munich City {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:50 am
Community Director Emerita

Sounds like a convenient location

Thanks for the report. This sounds like an ideal location for we Hilton-ites on a short trip to Munich. I'm glad to hear you've arrived safely; enjoy this beautiful city.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:05 pm
Original Member

Thanks, RTW, for the report and directions/suggestions.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Well I pulled a all nighter in MUC. My friend/client did not pick me up until 9:00 PM. We went to a place called Nectar (excuse spelling), Linbaugh (excuse spelling again) and then a club called Eight Seasons (can spell that). In between I got a tour of MUC and we stopped at a grunge (spelling?) party. I won´t comment on anything else. MUC is a pretty fun city. I learned about my friends favorite drink- vodka / bull. Red Bull that is.

OK. Hotel information. It seems work is still going on. In the morning I was taking the S Bahn back to MUC. The train stopped at the next station. Oster I believe on the way back to MUC airport. Everyone it was announced in German bound for the airport had to get off and wait for a MUC airport inbound train. This means the tracks were still being worked on and trains could not pass eachother. So for at least now you should keep this in mind for a early morning weekend or possibly weekday departure. This delay added 20 minutes to the trip.

FYI for some reason the windows on the room do not close. I messed around with them for 5 minutes before using a pillow between the window and safety rail to secure it closed. Noise is a problem for some reason. The Lounge was nice always staffed with pleasant helpful ladies with a full compliment of drinks.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:07 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Well I pulled a all nighter in MUC. My friend/client did not pick me up until 9:00 PM. We went to a place called Nektar, Lenbach and then a club called Eight Seasons. In between I got a tour of MUC and we stopped at a grunge (spelling?) party. I won´t comment on anything else. MUC is a pretty fun city. I learned about my friends favorite drink- vodka / bull. Red Bull that is.

OK. Hotel information. It seems work is still going on. In the morning I was taking the S Bahn back to MUC. The train stopped at the next station. Oster I believe on the way back to MUC airport. Everyone it was announced in German bound for the airport had to get off and wait for a MUC airport inbound train. This means the tracks were still being worked on and trains could not pass eachother. So for at least now you should keep this in mind for a early morning weekend or possibly weekday departure. This delay added 20 minutes to the trip.

FYI for some reason the windows on the room do not close. I messed around with them for 5 minutes before using a pillow between the window and safety rail to secure it closed. Noise is a problem for some reason. The Lounge was nice always staffed with pleasant helpful ladies with a full compliment of drinks.
Edited to correct spelling of establishments. Regards
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:27 am

In Munich, there is a restaurant with free internet access if you eat there. Decent, casual food. Its in the Marienplatz, which is basically a single pedestrian street that runs from the town hall to the train station. It is on the side across from the town hall/Glockenspiel, not on the Glockenspiel side. Its in a little place with shops. You can use the interent there for a reaonalbe fee - 8 Euros an hour perhaps, or free if you order food first. But you get double charged if you use the internet then decide to order food. Look in hotels/restaurants for the Mike's Bike Tours brochure which lists this place and has good coupons, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Great Stay at Munich City Hilton

I reserved 3 rooms for 4 nights each using HHonors reward certificates. Check-in was flawless, and everyone in our party, all Gold members, were given executive club access.We did not ask, it was just given. Lounge staff was very friendly. The lounge itself was very comfortable, plenty of food and refreshments, a plasma TV, leather sofas and chairs in TV area. There is also access to outside seating which looks down toward the Frauenkirche and New townhall(Neue Rathaus). Concierge in lobby very knowledgeable and friendly and will sell you train and tour tickets at face value. Tour buses stop at the hotel for pickup saving you a trip on the S-Bahn. Asked for and received 2PM late checkout. We were told that all members in our party could have a free buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant or we could use the lounge for a continental breakfast. The lounge offered a typical bavarian breakfast of cheeses,meats,breads and if you wanted, beer! Other offerings were also available. The hotel also has the S train stopping in the basement of the hotel which is so convenient to reach anywhere in the city(Construction is finally complete,so no weekend detours). I have stayed at other hotels in the city before, but have found this hotel to be the nicest and most convenient hotel in Munich(IMHO). On this stay, Hilton and Hilton Honors came through with all the perks they promote.

Last edited by general45; Jul 13, 2004 at 8:37 pm Reason: redundant title
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:23 am

It is indeed a nice hotel.

If you go back to Munich and have some time you might try the Munich Park next time. It is a bit more secluded, and many of us think it's just a touch nicer.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Counsellor
It is indeed a nice hotel.

If you go back to Munich and have some time you might try the Munich Park next time. It is a bit more secluded, and many of us think it's just a touch nicer.
I'm planning a a couple days in Munich with my wife and two teen daughters. Which Hilton is best located?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like the City, maybe just a little bit better than the Park? I've stayed at both.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 8:15 pm
Original Member

I think you need to look at the City Hilton. With the train in the basement, you are 5 minutes from Marianplatz, 40 minutes from the airport(S8 line),and about 10 minutes from the main railstation(Hauptbahnhof). With 4 persons you are also eligible for a partner pass, good for all forms of transportation(Ubahn,Sbahn and streetcars) in and outside the city. The rate is 8 Euro's for inner zones and 16 Euro's for outside areas of the city. The pass is good for 2 to 5 persons in your group and good for all day transportation until 6:00 A.M. the following day. Don't forget to punch your ticket before getting on the trains. The German Museum of Science and Technology(Deutches Museum) is a 10 minute walk away on the Isar river, allthough my wife and daughter did'nt find it interesting, my son and son-in-law did. If you are going to try to use points for your stay, you will also save yourself 10,000 points per day by staying at the City location.
Old Jul 17, 2004, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by MIKEM
I'm planning a a couple days in Munich with my wife and two teen daughters. Which Hilton is best located?
It depends on what you're looking for.

If you're in on business and are concerned about fast connection to public transport (or being in the hustle and bustle of the busy city), then the Munich City is for you.

If your visit is more leisurely, I'd recommend the Munich Park. It's located on the edge of the English Gardens (a park larger than Central Park in New York), with nice quiet surroundings and is still about a five minute leisurely walk to public transportation.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I'm glad to read this! Just booked this hotel for a trip the week after next and there's some doctors' convention taking up most of the hotel rooms the beginning of the week of September 6. I could get into it only for the 9-11. Have been to Munich only once and loved it, but with the scarcity of hotels I booked what I could get. (I'm in the Belle Bleu earlier in the week. They have high-speed Internet access. How bad can they be?) Glad to know this was a good choice.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:44 am

Glad to read this. Last time I was there, Executive Lounge was under construction.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
I've stayed at both the Park and the City and prefer the Park, but not by much. To put it in perspective, when I go to Oktoberfest (again!) in a few weeks, my father and I are staying at the Munich Park one because we like be slightly isolated. There's a bus that runs pretty consistently past the Park location that plugs you into transport.

Anyone else going to be drinking?

Timothy
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by general45
I think you need to look at the City Hilton. With the train in the basement, you are 5 minutes from Marianplatz, 40 minutes from the airport(S8 line),and about 10 minutes from the main railstation(Hauptbahnhof). With 4 persons you are also eligible for a partner pass, good for all forms of transportation(Ubahn,Sbahn and streetcars) in and outside the city. The rate is 8 Euro's for inner zones and 16 Euro's for outside areas of the city. The pass is good for 2 to 5 persons in your group and good for all day transportation until 6:00 A.M. the following day. Don't forget to punch your ticket before getting on the trains. The German Museum of Science and Technology(Deutches Museum) is a 10 minute walk away on the Isar river, allthough my wife and daughter did'nt find it interesting, my son and son-in-law did. If you are going to try to use points for your stay, you will also save yourself 10,000 points per day by staying at the City location.
I have stayed at this property a couple times and really enjoyed it. Great room and the SBahn stop was almost too convenient, espescially when going out for the evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.