Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Munich City {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by jabez
I read on another thread that there's no longer any wine after 8pm. Can anyone confirm.
Confirmed.No wine when we came back from dinner last Friday, but they do offer those two famous Munich brews, Heineken and Becks beer until 11:00 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat, Hyatt Dia, HHonors Dia, PC Plat
Originally Posted by general45
Confirmed.No wine when we came back from dinner last Friday, but they do offer those two famous Munich brews, Heineken and Becks beer until 11:00 PM.
What about spirits like Bacardi after 8pm? Still there?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by connex2me
What about spirits like Bacardi after 8pm? Still there?
No. The only things kept out were ice, some cake, snacks and the beer and soft drink selections in the fridge. Coffee and tea were also available.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:42 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm here on an award stay as a diamond. When I checked in early, my room wasn't ready; but the desk clerk directed me to the lounge on 5, called housekeeping to get a room ready ASAP, and called the lounge worker to tell him I was coming up. My room was ready in less than 10 minutes.

To add to what has been said before, the king room on the executive floor is large and comfortable, with an easy chair and ottoman. There are washcloths (something I rarely see in European hotels) and a full complement of Crabtree & Evelyn Le Source toiletries, including a bath tablet. The sizes are larger than what we get in the States. The robe and slippers are a nice touch.

There was a free bottle of water in the room, which has been replenished daily. The second day, the water came with an apple, three dark chocolates, and a note from the manager. I've had the "do not disturb" sign out in the evenings, so I don't know what the turn-down service consists of.

Breakfast in the lounge is great for me--scrambled eggs, in addition to a wide variety of cold foods, including yogurt, cheese, cereal, fruit, breads, and pastries. I had dinner in the restaurant the first day. The perch was excellent, and the service could not have been better. Prices are a little high, but I wanted a hot meal and was too tired to go looking for another restaurant.

The rooms have wireless and LAN Internet. The cost is 22 euros for business (higher speed and unlimited data transfer plus some other extras I have no use for) or 17 euros for economy per 24 hours. The connection is strong, and the economy is fast enough for me.

All the staff I've interacted with have been friendly and helpful, except for the concierge.

If you arrive from the airport via the S-Bahn, follow the signs labeled "Ausgang Gasteig, Muffathalle" to get the hotel. I followed the "Rosenheimer Platz" signs and ended up having to go outside to get to it. However, if you want to avoid stairs with your luggage, this is a better way; it's less than half a block outside.

There's a Subway, two grocery stores, and other stores and restaurants in the train station.

Last edited by linsj; Nov 10, 2009 at 7:59 am Reason: correction
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:08 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Thanks for the update, will be there tomorrow for 3 nights. ^
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:46 am

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by linsj
I'm here on an award stay as a diamond. When I checked in early, my room wasn't ready; but the desk clerk directed me to the lounge on 5, called housekeeping to get a room ready ASAP, and called the lounge worker to tell him I was coming up. My room was ready in less than 10 minutes.

To add to what has been said before, the king room on the executive floor is large and comfortable, with an easy chair and ottoman. There are washcloths (something I rarely see in European hotels) and a full complement of Crabtree & Evelyn Le Source toiletries, including a bath tablet. The sizes are larger than what we get in the States. The robe and slippers are a nice touch.

There was a free bottle of water in the room, which has been replenished daily. The second day, the water came with an apple, three dark chocolates, and a note from the manager. I've had the "do not disturb" sign out in the evenings, so I don't know what the turn-down service consists of.

Breakfast in the lounge is great for me--scrambled eggs, in addition to a wide variety of cold foods, including yogurt, cheese, cereal, fruit, breads, and pastries. I had dinner in the restaurant the first day. The perch was excellent, and the service could not have been better. Prices are a little high, but I wanted a hot meal and was too tired to go looking for another restaurant.

The rooms have wireless and LAN Internet. The cost is 22 euros for business (higher speed and unlimited data transfer plus some other extras I have no use for) or 17 euros for economy per 24 hours. The connection is strong, and the economy is fast enough for me.

All the staff I've interacted with have been friendly and helpful, except for the concierge.

If you arrive from the airport via the S-Bahn, follow the signs labeled "Ausgang Gasteig, Muffathalle" to get the hotel. I followed the "Rosenheimer Platz" signs and ended up having to go outside to get to it. However, if you want to avoid stairs with your luggage, this is a better way; it's less than half a block outside.

There's a Subway, Aldi grocery store, and other stores and restaurants in the train station.
My stay this weekend as a Gold was slightly inferior to yours. I booked Exec Room (in the hope that as in the past it would yield a Junior Suite upgrade - it didn't). My room was great, but the servicing of it was a bit naff, no refreshes of shower gel and shampoo at all during my three day stay (I had to snag some from the turndown people), no water beyond the first day and no refresh of coffee/tea materials. For the first time in a long time, I didn't leave a tip for housekeeping. I did express mild displeasure at check out and my concerns were noted.

The lounge was as pleasant as ever, certainly no complaints there.

Turndown service consisted of a young lady asking if I needed fresh towels or anything. No offer to actually turn down the bed. I found the wireless signal slow, although not awful - but that was probably being in an end room.

If you walk up to either junction of Rosenheimer Strasse, you'll find some restaurants or just get the S-Bahn into the centre.

I'll probably stick with the City Hilton for my next stay, but I may start looking at the Park as well.
Old Nov 14, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Just had a 3 night stay as a Gold, booked Executive room & that was what I got at check in.

Room didn't make much difference to me as must have only spent about 15 hours in it over the 3 nights.

Lounge nice, adequate for breakfast in the morning & booze/snacks in the evening. Staff very efficient.

Definately be back next time I'm in Munich.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Had 2 separate stays at this property recently. One in early Dec for 3 nights at the beginning of a vacation, the other for 2 in mid-Dec at the end. I had stayed here once before (in Feb 2009 for 1 night on a mileage run), and have Diamond status.

* Paid E135/night for the first stay (3 nights), and E79/night for the second (found a steal of a rate)

* On the first stay, arrived at MUC around 10am after the long trans-Atlantic flight. Got to the property around 11am, the front desk looked busy, so went straight to the lounge. No rooms ready. There were about 5 others waiting for rooms, and after about an hour, we all went out to Marienplatz. Returned around 3pm, room ready. Was a typical exec room on the 4th floor.

* On the second stay, arrived at MUC around 5:30pm after a quick flight from BCN, got to the hotel around 6:30pm. Went to the lounge to check-in, but the gal was on break, so I left bags and went to the front desk. Was told I was upgraded to an Exec Suite; I didn't know what to expect. Was very very surprised when I opened the door to a nice kitchen (full fridge), living room, dining table, separate bedroom and bath (the bed/bath seemed like a typical room, with the rest in a separate room. We didn't have an ice bucket, but were promptly brought one (with ice in it). There was some glass on the floor (we learned the hard way), so I questioned how well the room was cleaned, but I wasn't going to give up a suite.

* Both times I had serious water temp issues while showering. Seemed to be either scalding hot or ice cold. I guess it keeps showers short, but they really need to address this. On the first visit, I changed rooms, and it was the same. On the second visit, I just accepted.

* The lounge is good, but can get a bit crowded. The staff generally keeps up with putting out fresh foods. But overall, I wasn't WOW'd by this lounge, there are others much better. I don't really drink, so the booze doesn't interest me.

* The location is fantastic. It is an easy ride on a single S-bahn train from MUC, in 30-40 min. The property is directly above the station. Easy to get to the typical tourist sites, and can even walk on a nice day. It is about a 5-10 min walk to the Deutches Museum, and there is a small restaurant row on the way.

* The fitness center is a bit small, and on the first visit most of the equipment was broken. Similar to a typical Hamption Inn fitness center in the U.S. They have some agreement with a pool down the street, but I opted to go to the Olympic complex and swim in the 50m pool instead (E3.80, quite a bargain).

* Ate in the lobby bar on the 2nd visit, and service was quick, food reasonably priced.

* I'm quite torn on how I feel about this property. I'd certainly use it for a 1 or 2 night stay while on a solo mileage run again (PHX-MUC runs are very cheap and plentiful), especially at a cheap rate. I haven't stayed at the Park property, but if I were back for a longer stay, I may explore staying there. I really enjoy being in Munich, regardless of the weather...the people are just so friendly, the city is clean, and it is just so well-suited for a tourist. I do speak some German, and using my limited German got smiles, both in the property and out of it.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aztimm
Both times I had serious water temp issues while showering. Seemed to be either scalding hot or ice cold. I guess it keeps showers short, but they really need to address this. On the first visit, I changed rooms, and it was the same. On the second visit, I just accepted.
I had several stays at this property in late October and encountered this very same water temperature situation in each of five rooms I tried. For anyone who has not stayed there, these are not minor temperature fluctuations but major and instantaneous shifts between frigid and scalding. I have never encountered anything quite like it in all of my travels.

I discussed this situation at some length with the staff and they assured me that they are fully aware of the problem. But for some reason, they are unwilling or unable to resolve this longstanding issue. They explained that their engineering staff has been unable to effect a solution. Not having any plumbing expertise myself, I simply do not understand it.

The executive floor room itself was adequate but did not wow me. In addition, the room was always uncomfortably warm and stuffy so I was happy that it was very cool outside and just kept the window open. I would be concerned about staying there during the summer months unless I could be assured that the climate control is effective.

Overall, I found the staff to be reasonably friendly and accommodating and, as previously pointed out, the lounge was adequate but not great. I think there are some better alternatives for me to consider the next time I'm in Munich but would be willing to stay at this hotel again only if I could get a very cheap rate.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by LarryU
I had several stays at this property in late October and encountered this very same water temperature situation in each of five rooms I tried. For anyone who has not stayed there, these are not minor temperature fluctuations but major and instantaneous shifts between frigid and scalding. I have never encountered anything quite like it in all of my travels.

I discussed this situation at some length with the staff and they assured me that they are fully aware of the problem. But for some reason, they are unwilling or unable to resolve this longstanding issue. They explained that their engineering staff has been unable to effect a solution. Not having any plumbing expertise myself, I simply do not understand it.

The executive floor room itself was adequate but did not wow me. In addition, the room was always uncomfortably warm and stuffy so I was happy that it was very cool outside and just kept the window open. I would be concerned about staying there during the summer months unless I could be assured that the climate control is effective.
Thanks for sharing the bit about the water. When we complained, the staff made it seem like we were just making the whole thing up. And I agree, it will go from scalding (beyond painful) to ice cold, and back again. The water control was pretty meaningless, the temp changed anyway. I learned to just stand beyond the water, and use my washcloth to catch some water.

I also agree on the heat, with a standard room. There is a thermostat, but it seemed to be either on or off; you could adjust the intensity, but not really the actual temperature. The maid always left the window open, and I think I left it open most nights too. In the suite, there was a nice digital thermostat that was pretty spot-on. But then again, it was very cold those last few days (temps around 20-25F).
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: US Platinum, HH Diamond
About the showers

I checked out on June 1, 2010, after a 5 night stay (4 nights AXON + 1 night FN601). The day before, workers were tearing out and replacing the shower plumbing on 10 rooms on the 4th floor, with much sawing and hammering. On 6/1, it looked like the drywall and tile was going in on those 10 rooms. So, they are finally addressing the problem, but at the rate of 10 rooms every 2 days, it's probably going to take a while.

I had the scalding/freezing problem in my room. I found that I could minimize it by only turning on the hot water about 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and then adding enough cold water to make it comfortable. The temperature varied a little, but nothing like when the hot was turned on all the way.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA silver
Breakfast in restaurant vs. Exec. Lounge?

We are staying at the Hilton Munich City next month and have an executive room booked that includes continental breakfast in the lounge. I now see a comparable exec. room rate that includes breakfast in the hotel restaurant. Just wondering if anyone can tell me the difference in the two offerings. I would think the restaurant would offer a wider selection, but I have never stayed there before and don't know what the lounge offers for breakfast.

Also, if I book a breakfast rate and I'm also in an exec. room that offers a breakfast in the lounge, can the hotel insist that I only eat in the lounge? The Buenos Aires Hilton tried to pull this on us and finally relented after we complained and showed them our confirmation that included breakfast daily in the hotel restaurant.

Appreciate the help and advice.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 5:30 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
OK just got back from a 1 night stay. Hotel was clean, had EL access as Diamond. Sorry did not have time in the morning to try BF had to leave by 6:30am and BF was to open at 7:00am.

I'll try to make finding the correct exit within Rosenheimer easier.
If you are on the S8 from the airport, when you get off the train just walk towards the front of the train, there is a exit from the platform at the front of the train and go up. Or try to follow this sign.

when you get to the mezzanine level turn right. Look for the Hilton sign, you can take the escalator outside which is about 30 yards to the front entry or go through a metal door way towards the car park walk up one flight of stairs then take elevator to lobby. Look for this.

Also if your leaving early for the Airport, buy your tickets from the concierge at the hotel or have some 5 and 10 euro bills as the ticket machine will not take a 20 euro bill.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:56 pm

Did you experience any problems with the water temperature in the shower? I understand it may be only on certain floors and that it is being fixed.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Nope, did not notice any fluctuations with water temp. Stayed on 5th floor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.