Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Munich City {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2003, 9:58 am
Original Member

Munich City Hilton construction

O.K.I've read the pro's and cons from past posts about this property and am doing a points stay, 2 rooms for 10 nights in June. Since I will be doing day tours to surrounding areas, I will only be using the room for sleeping. I am nor particularly concerned about upgrades,etc, just comfort. I have read that there is Subway construction being done on weekends,and this is scheduled for completion "midyear". Does anyone have a more firm date as to when this construction will be complete?
Old Nov 28, 2003, 10:12 am

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, IC Amb
Officially they want do return to the normal schedule on 3rd of April 2004. So you have a safety cushion of about 2 months and you schould be fine.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 11:54 am
Original Member

Thanks Dampflok for your quick reply.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I've been there for two weekends over the past two months.

The subway construction is just rebuilding of the lines (modernizing an already very modern system). I was subject to absolutely NO noise; you will probably never hear anything. I sure didn't. I think they are replacing rails (I am not sure of the details, but understand that the Munich system was built in time for the 1972 Olympics; the REAL construction happened back then).

The only inconvenience was that they run busses on the inner city subway routes. This isn't a really big deal, and it is a lot more scenic. However, since a lot of that route runs under a pedestrian zone, the bus routes are VERY indirect, and take longer than the normal subway hops.

The bus stops directly in front of the hotel, on both sides of the street. Coupled with the subway stop (Rosenheimer Platz) directly below the hotel, ALL hotels should be so fortunate to have such easy and comprehensive transit so easily available.
Old Nov 28, 2003, 6:51 pm
Original Member

This is my first trip back to Munich since 1978. I spent each summer from 1956 to 1971 with my brothers and mother at my grandparents when I was growing up. My father would join us later for 2 weeks using his vacation time. Now I'm taking my wife and KIDS?(21&24)-and son in law back to show them the places I used to frequent. I wasn't really worried about the noise factor as much as wondering what the transit system would be like once I arrived there. Thanks for the information and clarification.

[This message has been edited by general45 (edited Nov 28, 2003).]
Old Nov 29, 2003, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Funny, I also spent the better part of the summer of 1978 in Munich. I just returned this year, for the first time since then.

For the most part, little has changed; the subway system is still very modern (although it looks its age now), but it's still really REALLY clean and efficient. The system is still an "honor system"; I did get asked once for the ticket though, so I would totally recommend riding "legally". (they call the ticketless riders "Schwarzfahrers").

The trains are sparkling....new. No graffiti (in the stations or trains), but some is now visible in other parts of the city.

Also, the subway announcements are now in German and English!!!!

In any case, the construction won't present a hassle or challenge, just the slight inconvenience of the bus...

[This message has been edited by rrz518 (edited Nov 29, 2003).]
Old Mar 24, 2004, 1:47 am

Programs: LH Senator, HH Gold
Munich City Hilton

Hi there

did somebody stay recently at the Munich City Hilton and confirm that they do have an executive floor in the meantime ? Can't find any rates at all.

Regards and many thanks

Hans
Old Mar 24, 2004, 1:10 pm

*i think the answer is no; when i stayed there last year i was given a drink voucher for the downstairs bar and a breakky voucher..the breakky was excellent, full american breakky...room was pretty small and that is the hilton with the electronic thingy in the fridge which records a purchase if you even move the cans of coke out to put something in the fridge. I like that place just the same..its well located and easy to get to, and i like a good breakky

Old Mar 24, 2004, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The Munich Park is a very nice hotel ( accesible by tram and bus) and has a very nice Executive lounge

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 24, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
I would contact the hotel to verify, but I'm nearly positive the answer is now yes.

The Hilton Munich City underwent an extensive renovation and an executive lounge is a major part of that. They weren't due to open the lounge until the spring, but I was told last week that the lounge is now open, ahead of schedule.

--Grog--

P.S. I agree that the Munich Park is also a terrific stay. The lounge and its personnel are top notch. They seemed to have quite a few apprentices (Auszubildende) who all showed great professionalism -- very impressive staff. Had the pleasure of a stay there two weeks ago.

[This message has been edited by Grog (edited Mar 24, 2004).]
Old Apr 18, 2004, 5:38 am

Programs: LH Senator, HH Gold
Munich City Hilton - new Exec floor

Hi there

visited the Munich City Hilton new exec floor last week. Finally they have one. The hotel will undergo total renovation of all rooms in 2004/2005, but the exec floor (5th floor) is done already. I've seen a normal exec floor room with a king size bed and found the room a bit small. Furniture is identical to the Duesseldorf Hilton exec floor. They also have a brandnew work-out room on that floor, forgot to ask whether that is open to the total hotel or exec floor guests only. The lounge as such is spacious and offer the usual food and beverage freebies. They have a little balcony to the very noisy Rosenheimer Street, but at least you can step out and get a glimpse of the Munich rooftops and some churches. They told me that the balcony is a leftover from the time where there was a large suite before they did the conversion to the exec lounge. Large flatscreen TV and a conference corner makes it a nice experience. For those of you who know the Park Hilton Exec floor, the lounge there is a bit smaller. I will follow up with a more detailed report in the TRIP REPORT section as I will book myself a week in May.

Regards Hans
Old Apr 18, 2004, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks very much for that post Hans0001. Good to hear that they have a lounge at last.

I'm travelling to Munich on the May Bank holiday ( 29th -31st May) but staying at the Hilton Munich Park ( good experience there the last time)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:04 pm
Original Member

Thanks, Hans0001 for the info. You answered a question that I had from a previous thread. This is. indeed, welcome news as I have a stay in June.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I'm travelling to Munich on the May Bank holiday ( 29th -31st May) but staying at the Hilton Munich Park (good experience there the last time)
Somewhat off topic, but I'll be in Munich Sunday morning and early afternoon the 30th. Maybe we could get together at the Augustiner for a beer and haxen for lunch?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:19 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Munich Hilton City mini report 04/23/04

Upon arrival at MUC the fastest most economical way to this Hotel is via the S8 Bahn. Buy your ticket in the terminal lobby after exiting customs. Use the machine to your left and not right. The left one only has three options. I bought a one day ticket which is good all around and until 6:00 AM the next morning. To reach the S8 exit and walk thru the cover courtyard area. Take the escalator down. The train was on my left downstairs. The ride to Rosen. Platz was 30 minutes tops. I wondered outside to reach the Hotel. Wrong. When you are in the Hotel the lift down is one level and located behind the cafe / concierge station. I'll find my way back. The ticket BTW was 9 euros.

Upon arrival at the Hotel I was told to check-in on 5th floor. The Executive Lounge is nice and open between 6:00 AM I believe until 11:00 PM with 3 stated presentations. Given upgrade to nice comfy room. That means a bit small. The Lounge staff was attentive and offered help in planning my stay. The room has bottled water and was available this morning for my early check-in. Internet was expensive and I did not see a ethernet connection in my room. The Hotel is a duplicate of the Dusseldorf property. I am using a internet cafe located in the Motorama shopping arcade which is below the Hotel. To find you must travel past the supermarket. Reasonable rate. Another internet cafe is located on the otherside of the street from Hotel entrance I am told. I was on a prepaid rate with the Hotel. Also this location was ideal for me since I have a early morning flight and the S8 begins at something like 3:40 AM from this station. Only two stops to the Marienplatz. All rooms on Executive Level face courtyard according to attendent so quiet. I did note construction and noise around the Hotel but not in the Hotel. Some other place. Regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.