Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Munich City {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2002, 11:29 am

- Bar was just days before completion of remodeling when I stayed there a month ago
- Nice is S-Bahn (subway like regional trains connecting many stops in the inner city with the outskirts right under the hotel (Rosenheimer Platz, direct elevator to Hotel, follow signs)
- Very centrally located
- No executive floor or lounge, just business floor
- Fairly nice rooms

The Hilton Munich Park is not quite as good in regards to it's location but a much nicer hotel with extremely large executive room floors and beautiful view. Plus a nice cigar lounge. I'd go there and pay 10 euro's extra for the taxi.
Old Oct 22, 2002, 12:12 pm

We stayed in both. City is more convenient to trolly line and some events. Somewhat noisy, being on very busy major street.

Park is a different upscale hotel in a a very quite park setting.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which S-Bahn line do you take from the airport to the Munich City Hotel? I think it may be the S-1, but am not sure. Or is it quicker to take the S-8 to Ostbahnhof and change to to S-1 or S-4 to Rosenheimer Platz?

edit: I found quite a bit of detail in the LH forum re: spending time in Munich. It looks like the S-8 goes from the airport to the Muncih City Hotel, and is the train/line to take. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum32/HTML/001855.html

[This message has been edited by transpac (edited 11-12-2002).]
Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:14 am

I could be wrong (so check previous posts) but I am pretty sure the S-8 takes you directly from the airport to the basement of the Munich City Hilton. The stairs take you into the lobby of the hotel next to the cafe. The trip took about 45 minutes.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:29 am

That's right.
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Hilton Munich City -- Downgrade in HHonors?

I was looking to book the Hilton Munich City as a reward in Feb., and it's classified as a Classic hotel (30,000 points per night).

On the new scheme starting in June, it's a Category 2 hotel (20,000 points per night).

That's one heck of a downgrade, and it makes me wonder if it's worth the 110,000 points for a 4-night stay in Feb, when the same stay in June would be 80,000.

Anyone have any experience with this hotel? Do you think customer service would issue me the 4-night certificate for only 80,000?
Old Dec 18, 2002, 5:44 pm

Stayed there and also Munich Park: day and night. Unless have a very special reason recomend the Park.
Old Dec 19, 2002, 5:28 pm

city does not have a lounge but is right above s-bahn station. park is a u-bahn and bus ride away but sits right on englishergarten
Old Dec 19, 2002, 11:27 pm

i liked it myself:as gold, i got 2 drink vouchers for the bar, and full breakfast in the morning in the cafe, and it was very good. I found it convenient to take the train from FRA and so easy to make an early start as the elevator takes you right to train station. I am thrilled about its downgrade!! as a star RTW fanatic, munich is a convenient hub for me..now all i need is a pointstretcher as well...
Old Dec 20, 2002, 3:50 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
I know of a similar downgrade. Under the old reward scheme, Conrad Bangkok was in the "premium" category. Now, it is in category 2!

Any idea about why this may be?!
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:43 am

The Park has a great Lounge.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Thanks for all the feedback. I changed my plans and needed a 6-night stay instead of the 4, which made it good for a GLON award. I booked a GLON award at the Hilton Munich Park. After reading all the reviews on FT on City vs. Park, I was still waffling between the two when I called (you know how you never get a straight answer after reading FT reviews ). When they only had smoking availability at City, and Park could confirm non-smoking, that pretty much firmed up my choice for the Park.

If anyone has any info on how to use transit to/from the airport to the Park, I would appreciate it. Also, if someone knows how to get to the downtown from the Park, I would appreciate that info, too -- we'll be a couple of American tourists primarily sightseeing. Is it worth doing the bus/bahn combo, or is it a cheap taxi ride or something?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:22 pm

channa, I've never stayed at the park but German public transportation is fantastic, some of the best in Europe from my experience. The U/S bahn trains will take you just about anywhere you need to go in Munich. Their rail system is great as well if a bit on the expensive side compared with other european countries. Very rarely should you need to take a taxi anywhere since the u/s bahn stations are everywhere. The only time I use a taxi is if I'm carrying a ton of luggage or am with a travel partner that doesnt want to deal with the trains/luggage. Good luck, Munich is a great town.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 2:50 pm

Speaking of downgrades, Hilton MSP Downtown is now a Cat 1.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 3:10 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by channa:
If anyone has any info on how to use transit to/from the airport to the Park, I would appreciate it. Also, if someone knows how to get to the downtown from the Park, I would appreciate that info, too -- we'll be a couple of American tourists primarily sightseeing. Is it worth doing the bus/bahn combo, or is it a cheap taxi ride or something?</font>
With regards to timing, the most convenient transportation option at the Park Hilton is the taxi. However, one can manage to use public transportation as well, it's just not as convenient.

Enjoy your time here in Munich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.