Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2007, 9:29 pm
ES

They put me up at a Holiday Inn Express.
Old Aug 5, 2007, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Perhaps talk to the hotel manager from the property you were walked from. They may be able to virtually check you in for a night w/o any charge to get you a stay credit.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ES
They put me up at a Holiday Inn Express.
You should call you respective elite line. You should be given credit.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes the "Guest Relations" line is far better and far faster than the so-called Elite lines (including the DD).

MisterNice
Old Aug 6, 2007, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
maybe you should tell them how disappointed you were being denied a room and ask them to make you gold
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Call 'em again. They should add the stay credit. Airlines will do the same on involuntary reroutes to other carriers...
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I was walked last month and got stay credit. You should try calling - use the old FT practice of calling until you get an answer that you like
Old Aug 6, 2007, 9:31 am

I had a group - two Diamnds and a Gold - walked from the Hampton Houston Westchase during the rodeo and we ended up at a dive since all Hilton type hotels were booked solid for a 50 mile radius. Each of us wrote a letter and received two My Way certificates as compensation. The beauty of the certificates is that you can use them at any rate including a Diamond push, the offending hotel picks up the tab, and you get a credit for the certificate stay along with the points. It does not get you to Gold but it does provide some satisfaction for the hassle.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 11:51 am
ES

As a follow-up to my posted issue--I called the Hhonors line. Initially, the representative confirmed it was “policy” not to offer stay credit since I was comped the replacement room. I reiterated my efforts to achieve Gold status and my disappointment with Hilton’s policy which differs from the service I get from being a Hyatt Diamond. Upon hearing that I was a Hyatt Diamond, the representative offered me fast track to Hilton Diamond which required 10 stays/20 nights over the next three months. I told her I would unlikely be able to meet that requirement with Hilton and the offer was not helpful to me. Then, the representative adjusted my records with an additional stay credit.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by ES
As a follow-up to my posted issue--I called the Hhonors line. Initially, the representative confirmed it was “policy” not to offer stay credit since I was comped the replacement room. I reiterated my efforts to achieve Gold status and my disappointment with Hilton’s policy which differs from the service I get from being a Hyatt Diamond. Upon hearing that I was a Hyatt Diamond, the representative offered me fast track to Hilton Diamond which required 10 stays/20 nights over the next three months. I told her I would unlikely be able to meet that requirement with Hilton and the offer was not helpful to me. Then, the representative adjusted my records with an additional stay credit.

Congrats on the credit!

As a tip - if I arrive after 8 PM, I always call the hotel to make sure they know I am coming - esp. if my flight is getting delayed. If I have a dinner scheduled upon arrival and even if I am late, I go first to the hotel, check in, get my room key, don't even take my bags to the room, and then go to the dinner. This may more critical in a small hotel where rooms sellout faster, but such a small percentage of people arrives after 9 PM that anyone who did not show up until then is a 50-70% chance no-show.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Angry Diamond Special Services-a complaint

Last month, I posted a message "Being walked as Diamond" and after several calls/emails over the past couple of months, got what I thought was a "resolution".

To sum up, I asked for and got credited for my two night stay at the HGI Cleveland Downtown after being walked from and wronged by the HI CLE Airport.

Well, I just checked my AMEX statement online earlier tonight-and discovered that the "credit" I justly received two weeks earlier has now been RECHARGED to my credit card!

Needless to say, I am !

Other than canned responses from DSS, I have not received a call or email reply regarding the resolution of my complaint. Apparently, I incorrectly assumed that the credit I received three weeks ago was the final resolution. Obviously, it was not.

I will keep y'all posted as I plan to give DSS a piece of my mind in the morning.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
Last month, I posted a message "Being walked as Diamond" and after several calls/emails over the past couple of months, got what I thought was a "resolution".

To sum up, I asked for and got credited for my two night stay at the HGI Cleveland Downtown after being walked from and wronged by the HI CLE Airport.

Well, I just checked my AMEX statement online earlier tonight-and discovered that the "credit" I justly received two weeks earlier has now been RECHARGED to my credit card!

Needless to say, I am !

Other than canned responses from DSS, I have not received a call or email reply regarding the resolution of my complaint. Apparently, I incorrectly assumed that the credit I received three weeks ago was the final resolution. Obviously, it was not.

I will keep y'all posted as I plan to give DSS a piece of my mind in the morning.
Arrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Platinum, UA 1P, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR PM
Is that even legal? I mean can't that count as an unauthorized charge? Do you have anything from HH saying that they were reversing the charge and comping the night(s)?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I'd fix the $$$ issue immediately by disputing the charge. Then I would write an actual letter to Hilton and the original property GM explaining how angry and disappointed I am. I would ask for a proper credit and a couple more free nights to help me get over it.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 3:30 pm

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, PC RA, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Diamond got walked

Afternoon All,

So after all of the weather fiascoes (sp?) in Texas last night (Houston and Dallas both had sizable delays), I finally arrived in Boston and got to the Financial District Hilton at 3:00 a.m., only to be told that my room had been given away an hour ago and that they would put me up for the night at the Marriott Long Wharf and "make it up to me" when I checked in today. They also gave me some cab fare to get me to the Marriott. I'm pissed, because I have stayed at this hotel for 12 weeks straight and have checked in after midnight every week. Plus, there are no cabs in the Financial District at 3:00 in the morning.

I walk to the Long Wharf (about 4 blocks) because I don't want to wait for a cab to be called and spend an exhausted but blissful night sleeping in a mediocre room. In the morning I walk back to the Hilton and ask if I can check in or at least leave my bags so I don't have to roll them around Downtown Boston all day. The clerk says that they have a "really nice" room for me but that it isn't ready yet and I am free to leave my bags with the concierge. No sweat.

Later in the day, I check my reservation and notice that the date, room class, and rate have all changed. Now the room is reserved starting tonight, for the Presidential Suite and the rate is 50% higher than my previous confirmation.

So, I am not completely mad at the hotel because I understand that I should have called and confirmed that I was coming in, even though I ALWAYS come in late. And I appreciate the efforts of putting my up in "the big room" to make up for the error. I guess my issue is two fold:

Why wouldn't they tell someone checking in at 2:00 a.m. that they were full, if they had a loyal diamond coming in at 3:00 a.m.? And should I raise a fuss about the higher rate being charged, even though I am getting a (presumably) superior room?

Ideally, I would like the Pres Suite at my previous rate (don't want the client who is paying the bills to get shafted too) but I want credit for the night and the points I would be missing. Do you guys and gals think this is too much to ask?

In their defense, I have not spoken to the manager about this and just want to get a feel for what other people think I should expect as an outcome.

Cheers,
ATF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.