Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
BDLORD, glad you got your employee a room (and some breakfast coupons).

It never hurts to ask!
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:10 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BDLORD
Thanks! I went down to CI armed with your ideas. I told them I was Gold (here in Canada for some reason it's a big deal) and told them the whole purpose of this trip he needed to be in the same hotel.
They then found a room on the club floor and ponyed up some Breakfeast coupon.
Thanks FT'ers!

they were going to "walk" him rather than give give out a room that was available at the time? that's really sleezy. while it sounds like they worked things out to your satisfaction, it seems like something that would be worth writing a letter about. and not just because you would get some points from hilton in response to the letter (which I'm sure, you will).
Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
they were going to "walk" him rather than give give out a room that was available at the time? that's really sleezy. ...
Not necessarily. If the room was being held for a Diamond or Gold who'd made a reservation, I would expect the non-status holder to be walked.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Question

Originally Posted by wideman
Not necessarily. If the room was being held for a Diamond or Gold who'd made a reservation, I would expect the non-status holder to be walked.
But I was a gold who made the reservation with my credit card, does that not count?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I imagine that would depend on how the record dislpays - if it is YOUR information, they'd not likely have walked you. But if the employee's name etc. showed on the record, they would not see your status - nor would a somewhat inept or uncaring desk clerk.

I'd most likely (if we are merely talking about one employee) put the additional booking in my name with my card and listed the employee as a second occupant - and made sure both rooms were on the same folio so I can harvest all the points. That would show the room as mine, with my status, but still have the actual occupant's name on the record. YYMV, of course...

Originally Posted by BDLORD
But I was a gold who made the reservation with my credit card, does that not count?

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 8, 2005 at 6:46 pm Reason: duh spel chicken got me
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:19 pm
Suspended

if the other hotel would have been really close by I would have let them 'walkem', considering the night would have been free etc .

Now it seems they got a lousy room and that can have an impact on how they function.

would have split the free room voucher with them as well if there were 2 or at least used it to offset future company Biz. Or you would have made their day at no cost to you to have given the person whatever vouchers you 2 could have squeezed out of QCH/Hilton. an dthen the person would ahve felt they owe you one.

Now thats considering that I didnt actually need to have them right there by my side all day.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by craz
Or you would have made their day at no cost to you to have given the person whatever vouchers you 2 could have squeezed out of QCH/Hilton. .
You mean YQB
Old Sep 28, 2005, 4:10 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
It depends on the market. Many Hamptons are not as nice as they once were and the Jameson Inn, which offer almost all of the same ameneties as the Hamptons, might have been even nicer. You never know because every market is different.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:30 pm

Walked as a Diamond

Curious as to other FTer's experiences. I arrived at the HHV last Thursday and was told, rather unceremoniously, there was no room in the inn (Village?) and I would be staying at the Sheraton Waikiki for the night. While the room at the Sheraton was comped, I feel that the HHV owes me something more. Marriott has a policy to not walk Platinums (or compensate them appropriately)...why doesn't Hilton??? Thoughts...

Last edited by MJDORD1K; Feb 21, 2006 at 7:31 pm Reason: HHV not HWV
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by MJDORD1K
Curious as to other FTer's experiences. I arrived at the HHV last Thursday and was told, rather unceremoniously, there was no room in the inn (Village?) and I would be staying at the Sheraton Waikiki for the night. While the room at the Sheraton was comped, I feel that the HHV owes me something more. Marriott has a policy to not walk Platinums (or compensate them appropriately)...why doesn't Hilton??? Thoughts...
Did you arrive late? Was there some reason they wouldn't be expecting you? It may not be a policy, but I'm thinking most properties would seek to avoid doing this whereever possible. If the only other choice is evicting another registered guest, I can see it.

For the record, it's never happened to me. I'm not sure how I would feel if it did. Not happy, I'm certain.

Edited to say: Actually I was walked, pre-status, in the summer of 1987, from an Embassy Suites in CSP to a Drury Inn (this after being bumped by UA in Denver - sort of a domino effect). A colleague and I arrived very late, after midnight, to be told there were no more rooms. We were given a free room at the Dreary Inn (no personal benefit since it was a company paid business trip) that was pretty cold and spartan, hardly comparable to the ES. I should have been angry, but since I was still flush with the $75 cash from UA that we negotiated back in DEN, I was merely disappointed.

Last edited by BamaVol; Feb 22, 2006 at 6:59 am
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:54 pm

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Talking

Originally Posted by BamaVol
Did you arrive late? Was there some reason they wouldn't be expecting you? It may not be a policy, but I'm thinking most properties would seek to avoid doing this whereever possible. If the only other choice is evicting another registered guest, I can see it.

For the record, it's never happened to me. I'm not sure how I would feel if it did. Not happy, I'm certain.

Not that is a strange one... I do not know. i would ask for some bonus points or something to compensate.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sorry to hear about your experience and the unexpected change of plans.
This would be good question to pose to the Diamond Desk and or Hilton guest assistance out in Memphis.
I have found these folks to be very helpful and responsive in these kinds of situations.I know that Marriott and Starwood have certain policies in dealing with these issues.Marriott has some very generous gestures it does as you already are aware of.
See what happens after you file a complaint.IMO you should get some kind of goodwill gesture for the let down
Be it a cert for a free night or perhaps some bonus points.Hilton has taken good care of me in the past though I have never been walked.
And the one time I was (not a Hilton)I refused compensation as they put me in a block long presidential penthouse suite for a week complete with a giant jacuzzi.
All was forgotten in a hurry

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 22, 2006 at 7:46 pm
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH DIA, Hertz PC
The Policy is to never walk a Diamond member or a honeymoon couple. On that note I have been walk once, I arrived at 2am and they said they where full, now if I am arriving really late I do call the Hotel and tell them I will be checking in at X time. I did take a walk and gave my room up for another customer. The customer was mad that he had to go to another Hilton Hotel a mile away and then would have to come back for the 2nd day of their stay, after 5 min of him .....ing at the front desk person, I walk up and ask if I had a room because I was Diamond member and should have a room, she check and said I did have one I said give him my room and I will take the free room in the other hotel. I was only there for 1 night and it saved me $175. I really think 10 min out of my life is worth $175.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, UA 2P, US Dirt (Yay!)
I heard from a front desk manager that at hiltons (dunno about other chains) they have to pay a walked diamond some amount, like $50 or something. Also don't know if this is true.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I'd walk a mile for a free room.

And the Sheraton is more romantic than the HHV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.