Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hhonorman:
Don't you just hate it when you're lied to.</font>
What makes you think he was lied to? Perhaps they just unblocked another guest from the 1-br suite and moved Dugernaut to that room (blocking the other guest in the "smells of the wild" suite).

Old Nov 19, 2002, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TransWorldOne:
What makes you think he was lied to? Perhaps they just unblocked another guest from the 1-br suite and moved Dugernaut to that room (blocking the other guest in the "smells of the wild" suite).
</font>
I'd estimate 99% chance he was lied to.

I've had it happen before, too. Hilton Arlington: I check in, ask about concierge-level upgrade, and they say "No. We are sold out."

So they send me to their Cheap Cigar Smoker special room. I call back, front desk clerk gets nasty and asks what part of "Sold out" I don't understand. I get manager on the phone and ask him what part of "Nonsmoking room" he didn't understand on my reservation.

Ten minutes later, I was in a concierge-level nonsmoking room. I'm sure both the manager and I thought each other were complete a**holes about the whole thing. I wouldn't have complained at all about the upgrade if they had just provided a *decent* room. They should be able to at least get smoking requests for their elites, even if they can't get bed type or exec. floor. The fact that they were jerks (and the fact that they were hiding rooms) about it meant that I never went back to that hotel.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pinniped:
My problem with hotels is that there are no real rules about how they walk people and in a vast majority of the cases, the guy who gets walked is VERY p*ssed about it, for good reason. I know taking volunteers all day at the front desk is infeasible because people can cancel until 6PM, but at 6:01PM, the hotel should know whether it is in a seriously-overbooked situation. At that point, they should have defined processes that kick in which *should* be able to include offering mid-evening arrivals an alternate hotel plus compensation. As much as I hate legislation for these types of things, they do it for the airlines and if hotels can't handle the situation themselves, maybe they should regulate them as well.</font>
I actually saw that process you propose in action at a Courtyard in Horsham PA. I checked in at about 7 p.m. and the front desk asked me if I had any interest in being walked to nearby Residence Inn for a free night. She explained that they were very overbooked. Like you, I think this practice should be expanded so that very late arriving people are not walked involuntarily.

tdietterich likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 12:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
For the HHonors homepage under Diamond perks:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Guaranteed Reservations availability: Reservations availability is guaranteed to Diamond VIPs when reservations are made up to 48 hours prior to intended arrival and guaranteed to a credit card.
</font>
So does this mean that as a Diamond, I will not get walked? Just curious since I qualify on my next trip out. Any Diamonds ever been walked even with a CC guarantee?

GMF
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Here is some old, but very relevant, material I posted on another thread related to walking:

For situations where I know I will be arriving at 10 PM or later, I usually have that put into the reservation when I make it. If I will be arriving after 11 PM, I not only note the reservation, but will usually call the hotel sometime the day of arrival to let them know I will be in that late. If I plan on arriving very late, say after midnight, I will call the hotel twice, once early in the day and once in the evening (8 PM or so if possible). If I have a late arrival and something happens that will make me even later (flight delay, etc.), I will call the hotel again to let them know my situation, when I believe I will arrive, and specifically request that my room be held.

It isn't often that I arrive after 11 PM, so I don't end up making many calls, but on a number of occasions calling has saved me. I've seen situations where the hotel has checked me in before arrival, based on my call, and then walked multiple people checking in at the same time as me. It's a pain to have to call, but it does help.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 1:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by goldmedallionflyer:
So does this mean that as a Diamond, I will not get walked? </font>
Nope, it does not. You may have a guaranteed reservations availability, but you are not guaranteed that an actual room will be there waiting for you in case they were overbooked.

That said, I'm sure that most properties would try their best not to "walk" a Diamond member, as it creates a lot of ill will from their (arguably) one of the most valuable customer.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
The only time I get walked is when I book a room after a red eye and want a place in the morning; Not only do I put that in my reservation comments; I call before my plane leaves and I don't drag my bags in till I have a key; yet I still get walked. hyatt is the best at walking on these trips; but at least now I get something out of them.

Also like someone said that if they can charge me for a no show; I should be able to have my room. Well I take it one step further; If I forget or miss my cancellation deadline and they charge me a no show fee; I call my CC and tell them some excuse and they credit my account; it has never ever failed; I have no hard feelings to the hotels as they have scammed me enough times with walks that a few reversals on their no show fees is an equitable adjustment.

And to the original poster; Pardon me if this sounds brash; I don't intend it to but I'm sure it does; Being Gold means squat; everyone is a gold these days
Old Nov 19, 2002, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
...And to the original poster; Pardon me if this sounds brash; I don't intend it to but I'm sure it does; Being Gold means squat; everyone is a gold these days</font>
Maybe, maybe not. Certainly many folks on FT are gold, but I don't know about the general tourist and the general occasional business traveller. The VIP lines seem a lot shorter than the regular lines.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 8:49 pm

It is an interesting legal issue of whether when the hotel charges your credit card at 6pm assuming you've "no showed", and then you arrive at midnight, and they have no room for you. For what exactly are they charging you then? It raises some interesting questions. I wonder whether this would stand if it were challenged in court. Can a hotel legally charge you for something it fails to provide? Interesting indeed.
tdietterich likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:04 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hhonorman:
when the hotel charges your credit card at 6pm</font>
That's not how it works.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 2:58 pm

I and my parents have been walked twice during a long weekend in San Antonio for both rooms each time. Each time the bumping hotel paid for 2 rooms at another all-suite hotel which was brand new and a bit nicer, but the cost was not all that much as the bumping hotel had a super low negotiated walk rate with the other property. We felt crapped on both times until later when on the way home we realized we each saved almost $200 for our trouble.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I got bumped from the Hilton San Destin Beach, FL. in May. Horrible experience. Based on the rate I received, I had to pre-pay for the room when I booked the reservation (about 3 months before booking), so they had my money way in advance. Long story short, clerk was a b*%ch, there was no "night manager" available to speak with, and they wouldn't give me the general managers name or home phone number ( I arrived around 1:30am, but I felt he should be called then anyway and be appraised that a Gold who had pre-paid his room was being walked.) Ended up in a real crappy roach motel, and got virtually no sleep before an early morning meeting. Got no points out of the missing night, but did end up with certificates for 3 nights stay in the future - if I can ever bring myself to go back to this hotel.

Gotta remember that unpacking in the lobby idea. What a great idea.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travelling over 30 yrs fortunately I had never encountered this mishap. AFAIK, it seems to be pretty rare, unless overbooking in the industry lately became more agressive (?).
Old Nov 25, 2002, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Just an update on what I originally posted--as of today, credit for the "stay that never was" hasn't posted, although I have received credit for another, normal stay that took place later that same week. If the Doubletree Westshore ever posts, it would be my fourth CNTU credit worth 20,000+ points. I don't have any more travel planned through 11/30 (the official end date for CNTU).

At this point, I'm no longer sure whether or not to trust that this will actually post, and if I wait too long to find out one way or the other I'll miss out on any opportunity to do a "point run" before the end of November. Any advice? I don't want to miss out on 20,000 points, but I don't want to spend unnecessary $$ on a stay 3 miles from home either. I called HHonors and the nice service rep gave me 1000 points for my trouble, but said they have to have something from the hotel to give me stay credit.

[This message has been edited by Lpas (edited 11-25-2002).]
Old Nov 25, 2002, 7:50 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
I got walked at the Garden Inn in Sacramento/South Natomas. I ended up staying there later in the week. I sent a letter to HHonors pointing out my choice in hotels and that I ended up staying there later in the week. I got a call (voicemail) from the manager who apologized for the walk and put throught the credit. I was very pleased.....great property too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.