Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2001, 12:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
Marriot & Starwood give you $$$$ if you are elite and you are walked.</font>
chix -- I knew that was the case with Marriott, but was not aware about Starwood. Do you have a reference to their rules that states that (just in case if I ever need it)? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 12-30-2001).]
Old Jan 1, 2002, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Well, the impact of the PowerPoint show has astonished me -- and kind of blown my cover. We honestly didn't expect more than a couple dozen people to see it. But my Hotmail account is jammed full. I have about 1500 to 1600 emails. If you adopt the one-percent rule that's an article of faith in talk radio (e.g., fewer than one percent of listeners ever attempt to phone the show), that suggests that maybe 150,000 people have seen the PowerPoint.

While I'm not facilitating any further distribution of the file -- enough is enough -- I thought I'd post the FAQ here that I send out to those who get in touch with me.

---

Thanks for the contact and the friendly words. I have been stunned at the circulation this little PowerPoint file has received. I’ve heard from more than 1500 amused, sympathetic hospitality professionals, marketing/PR people, business school professors... you name it. Because of the high number of people who have tracked me down, I'm ashamed to have to resort to "canned" language -- but here are fast answers to the most-asked questions.

Is this for real?

Yup. Although "Night Clerk Mike's" real first name is a slight variation on "Mike" -- also with four letters, also starting with "M" -- this was an absolutely authentic response to a real service incident. To people who call, the hotel in question is saying nobody named "Mike" works there. But what kinds of nuts would invent a complaint filled with so many specifics -- and put their real names on it?

Who are you guys?

We are two directors of a web design/information consultancy in the Pacific Northwest. We've left our firm's name out of this.

Why did you spread it all over the Internet?

In truth, we sent it initially to the hotel; two clients/friends in downtown Houston, and Shane's mother-in-law. That was it. Yes, the last screen says: “And we hope they send it to THEIR friends!” Call us naïve, but we figured that meant perhaps twenty or thirty people. We never dreamed it would get passed around like this. Trust us. We had NO IDEA. Various website postings, including the one at urban legend clearinghouse snopes.com, were done by others without our permission or approval.

Can I have a copy of the presentation?

Uh, no. Given how far it's gone, we've decided not to facilitate any further distribution of the show, in hard copies or electronically. We think we've made our point.

Can I use the presentation in training classes?

We've had numerous requests to save and show the presentation to business school students, hotel and airline trainees, etc. as an example of customer relations gone horribly wrong. OK, but we have two requirements: please go into the file and alter, "X" out, or delete the names of the Doubletree Club managers that appear on the first page... and our e-mail address, which appears on the last page. We are beginning to think that even Night Clerk Mike and his bosses may have suffered enough -- and don't deserve to be forever synonymous with bad service. Also, we're already getting more email than we can handle gracefully. Thanks.

How far has it gone?

Well, now that the Maldive Islands have checked in, we've heard from six continents. Most hospitality professionals seem amused and sympathetic (though one former hotel manager suggested we get psychological counseling). We have had a few stern lectures from fellow road warriors/"civilians", though, who explain how out of line we were to expect our "guaranteed" rooms held for us. About 2 percent of correspondents call us jerks and worse.

What has the hotel done?

Both a Hilton brand manager and the GM of the Doubletree Club Houston have called to apologize. They are very aware, at both levels, that the PowerPoint has by now been seen by thousands. The Doubletree Club apparently is getting enough phone inquiries to interfere with business (so don't call). They are saying there's no "Mike," but confirming that the incident occurred and that they're changing training policies. Doubletree’s brand director has sent us a list of actions taken at both the hotel and corporate levels to improve employee training and overbooking policies.

Are you seeking publicity?

Quite the opposite. We've turned down numerous interview requests. The WSJ ran a short blurb December 14 without our cooperation and based on second-hand information; it contains several inaccuracies. Canada’s National Post newspaper ran a long piece December 16 based solely on information in this “canned” email, not on direct contact. We hope Hilton Corporate will see that we're more focused on improving service culture than doing damage in public. We do think this would make an interesting viral marketing case study, but that's further down the road. We're only communicating with people who've taken the time to contact us.

Or goodies?

No. A couple of competing chains have offered us gift certificates, which is nice of them, but we've politely refused. Without our asking, Hilton's Director of Guest Assistance sent us each certificates for two free room nights at any Doubletree. Given that we did not set out to pry free stuff out of the company, we're sending 'em back.

Earlier, when the Doubletree Club GM asked what we wanted in the way of compensation for our negative experience, we agreed that a donation to Houston's Toys for Tots campaign in the hotel's name would be nice instead. The hotel, Doubletree corporate HQ and Hilton Guest Services are each making sizable contributions.

With so many people now apparently getting copies of the show, I'd like to try to extend that impulse. If you got a laugh out of it, perhaps you could kick the price of a Doubletree Hotel club sandwich toward any holiday charity of your choice in the name of Night Clerk Mike. Maybe even notify the Doubletree Club in Houston that you've done so. Their address is 2828 Southwest Freeway, Houston TX 77098. If you forwarded the PowerPoint to friends, we'd be grateful if you chased it with this follow-up request.

So... what's it all mean?

Hopefully, that while $#!@& happens, service matters -- and hand-to-hand email has power. We urge you not to draw conclusions about the whole Doubletree brand on the basis of our little complaint. Every hospitality brand has good properties and awful ones. (Thanks for so many great personal horror stories, by the way.) But we do urge travelers to be bold when they get the short end of the stick. Perhaps, now that "Yours Is a Very Bad Hotel" has attracted attention in corporate offices of many hospitality providers, managers and customers alike will be a little more aware of the power customers wield.

Have a great holiday and thanks for getting in touch.

(Bear X220)
Old Nov 15, 2002, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Got "walked" this week at Doubletree

I'm still kind of pissed off about this, and wondering whether or not I handled it as well as I could have.

I flew down to Tampa this week for a meeting and had a confirmed reservation at the Doubletree Westshore/Airport. I knew my flight wouldn't be getting in till almost midnight and specifically mentioned this when making the reservation. Of course the reservations agent said no problem. When I got to the counter around 12:45am (I'd already parked the car and dragged all my luggage inside) I was told by a not particularly sympathetic desk clerk that they had no rooms left. Instead she indicated that I would need to go to the Sheraton and that Doubletree would pay the bill (I'm assuming this is probably standard practice when they turn away someone with a confirmed reservation?).

In any case, I was still pretty unhappy about the whole thing particularly given the late hour, the fact that this was to be my third CNTU stay and the unfortunate reality of my 8am meeting scheduled for the next morning. Apparently my gold status made no difference in terms of making sure a room remained available to honor the reservation.

To make a long story short, I called HHonors the next morning and told them I wanted credit for the stay. After about 10 minutes on hold the woman came back and said this shouldn't be a problem (although I had to call the Doubletree manager back directly and put in a request).

Does anyone know how frequently this kind of thing actually happens? I've never really thought about it before, but I'm wondering now if hotels routinely overbook themselves the same as airlines. Should I have held out for better compensation or is this about the best I could've expected?

[This message has been edited by Lpas (edited 11-16-2002).]
Old Nov 15, 2002, 5:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lpas:
Anyone know how frequently this kind of thing actually happens? I've never really thought about it before, but I'm wondering now if hotels routinely overbook themselves the same as airlines. Should I have held out for better compensation or is this about the best I could've expected? </font>
Unfortunately, "walking" happens. Hotels routinely overbook themselves if the demand is strong enough. I understand your frustration, but at least you were "walked" to a comparable (I'd even say better) property located nearby, and you're getting credit for your CNTU promo as if you were staying at the Doubletree (I certainly hope you also gave your SPG number when checking in at the Sheraton). Holding out for better compensation? I don't think you'd have fared any better than you did. Typically, the only obligation for a hotel that "walks" a customer is to pay for his/her first night at a comparable hotel and pay for a phone call if you need to let someone know your new location. Being an elite member rarely helps, with the exception of Marriott, where an elite member, if "walked", also gets free night certs and some cash.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's not uncommon at all, you were lucky they put you up someplace else, it doesn't always happen that way, or it's a place that isn't as good.

It would be funny if somebody started another thread, called "I was a diamond and just showed up and they found a room for me even though they were full".

But it's not at all an uncommon thing, especially for those arriving as late as you did.

Old Nov 15, 2002, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've stayed at that property and the front desk has among the most cold and unfriendly staff that I've encountered at any Hilton property (relatively low 14) in the past 2 years.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 7:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: I used to be Plat, but now I'm not. Now I'm just Gold. Lucky if I keep that.
This reminds me of the now legendary, "Yours is a very bad hotel" PowerPoint presentation :-)
Old Nov 16, 2002, 9:11 am

Legally (I believe in every state) the hotel must find you a room elsewhere. In many stses they must pay for the room as well. However, it's still a pain when it happens.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:05 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
Happened to me in AMS at a Marriott. I was Gold, had a guaranteed reservation and was not going to arrive until 11:00p. I explained this at time of reseravation and was told it would not be a problem.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was told there are no rooms, and no rooms anywhere in the city. They were not even interested in helping.

I took my bags, went over to a couch in the sitting aread and started unpacking. I told them I was not leaving and they could call the police or find me a place to stay, and I did not care if it was at an employees house.

10 minutes later they found me a room.

I haver never stayed at that hotel since.
kiam likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:05 am

What's interesting to me is how we've gotten to the point where consumers actually seem to accept and expect this type of over-booking (albeit with some grumbling) whether it's hotels or airlines. If the industry were truly oriented toward providing good customer service--as oppposed to earning that extra buck at any cost--a reservation would actually mean something and the person who showed up out of the blue at 7pm would be directed elsewhere, as opposed to the one who called three weeks ahead, gave a credit card number, and confirmed for late arrival.

And how much do you want to bet they'd have charged you for a no show if you'd never tried to check in--even with no rooms available?

[This message has been edited by julize (edited 11-16-2002).]
Old Nov 16, 2002, 11:43 am

Happened to me in Vegas this summer, and like you, messed up a CNTU stay. But, hey, it was the middle of the day, they paid for the room, and I won $50 on the nickle slots later.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:06 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by julize:
What's interesting to me is how we've gotten to the point where consumers actually seem to accept and expect this type of over-booking (albeit with some grumbling) whether it's hotels or airlines. If the industry were truly oriented toward providing good customer service--as oppposed to earning that extra buck at any cost--a reservation would actually mean something and the person who showed up out of the blue at 7pm would be directed elsewhere, as opposed to the one who called three weeks ahead, gave a credit card number, and confirmed for late arrival.

And how much do you want to bet they'd have charged you for that no-show if you'd never checked in--even with no rooms available?
</font>

Personally I don't mind the hotels and airlines overbooking because I would not want to pay the difference in rates/fares they would have to charge if they didn't overbook. If they only took reservations to 100% of capacity instead of 110% of capacity, you would see a corresponding increase in rates/fares.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Beckles:

Personally I don't mind the hotels and airlines overbooking because I would not want to pay the difference in rates/fares they would have to charge if they didn't overbook. If they only took reservations to 100% of capacity instead of 110% of capacity, you would see a corresponding increase in rates/fares.
</font>

Spoken like someone who's never had the distinct pleasure of being bumped with two small children at 1:00 in the morning and ending up in a pink cinderblock motel with 70s-style vibrating beds.

Old Nov 16, 2002, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Lpas, You've spent time stressing over something that was really no big deal. In fact, you ended up in a bit of a better joint. I've watched several get walked at this hotel while checking in. Not the best run DT, which means there are plenty of noticeable shortcomings.

On a PL stay at LAX Four Points they walked me to the Renaissance. It must be expensive for hotels to walk customers.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 2:19 pm

I stayed at a Doubletree two weeks ago and got wallked. I complained to the manger the next day and he offered me $200 cash as an apology. I hope I get walked more often!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.