Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:39 am

Hilton does have a policy HHonors diamond VIP Walk Policy

I found out that Hilton does have a "Hhonors Diamond VIP Walk Policy"
This is from Hampton Inn Rules of Operation dated July 17,2004.

"Hhonors Diamond VIP Walk Policy"
To protect the relationship between super high frequency diamond VIP members and the Hilton Family, all brands are introducing a Diamond VIP Walk Policy. That means if a hotel happens to walk a Diamond Vip member, we're going to take steps to keep the best guest loyal to us. This means we'll follow the same procedures that we do today. Not only will this policy serve to protect very valuable customer relationships: it also adds an incentive to never walk a Diamond VIP member from a hilton property.
A. If an HHonors Diamond VIP member is walked, the hotel must coordinate complimentary accomodomations at an equal or greater value local hotel.
B. The hotel must pay for the first night's room and tax, plus one phone call.
C. The hotel must offer and/or provide transportation at no charge to the guest.
D. All pertinent information must be reported to the HHonors Diamond Desk and the Hilton Hotels Guest assistance within 48 hours of the guest being walked.
E. The hotel must provide the guest with an immediate inconvenience compensation of $100. cash
F. The hotel must also provide the HHonors Diamond VIP member with an immediate (same day) refund of Points & Miles back to the guest account for the first night. The property wiull pay for the Points & Miles fee. The hotel must retain and make available a 30 day rolling record of these transaction.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Final resolution(?)

For those of you who haven't followed along, here's a recap.

After several emails to HH Guest Assistance-I finally was credited/reimbursed for my entire 2 night stay at the HGI Downtown Cleveland. ^ I discovered this when I checked my AMEX account online and saw the credit. In addition, I was given a one night stay coupon (which I just received in the mail) for any HI/HI & Suites, good for a year.

Interestingly enough, I have never received a formal letter of apology for my complaint informing me of their final resolution. The only correspondence I received was my initial contact a month ago to Guest Assistance-when a ?manager apologized and forwarded my complaint to the powers-that-be.

In any event, I am relatively satisfied with the outcome. All I really wanted was to be reimbursed for the two night stay as per the original verbal agreement with the night manager at the HI CLE Airport that first night when I was walked. I was hoping for some HH points to boot, but that's getting a little greedy.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Margk

To protect the relationship between super high frequency diamond VIP members and the Hilton Family, all brands are introducing a Diamond VIP Walk Policy. That means if a hotel happens to walk a Diamond Vip member, we're going to take steps to keep the best guest loyal to us. This means we'll follow the same procedures that we do today. Not only will this policy serve to protect very valuable customer relationships: it also adds an incentive to never walk a Diamond VIP member from a hilton property.
A. If an HHonors Diamond VIP member is walked, the hotel must coordinate complimentary accomodomations at an equal or greater value local hotel.
C. The hotel must offer and/or provide transportation at no charge to the guest.
D. All pertinent information must be reported to the HHonors Diamond Desk and the Hilton Hotels Guest assistance within 48 hours of the guest being walked.
E. The hotel must provide the guest with an immediate inconvenience compensation of $100. cash
F. The hotel must also provide the HHonors Diamond VIP member with an immediate (same day) refund of Points & Miles back to the guest account for the first night. The property wiull pay for the Points & Miles fee. The hotel must retain and make available a 30 day rolling record of these transaction.
Great news - where is this to be found exactly in case the walking property denies all knowledge of its $100 obligation, etc.? Also, could someone clarify Part F? thx
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by NOLA Flyer
Interestingly enough, I have never received a formal letter of apology for my complaint informing me of their final resolution. The only correspondence I received was my initial contact a month ago to Guest Assistance-when a ?manager apologized and forwarded my complaint to the powers-that-be.
The same non-correspondence with a positive outcome has happened to me as well. I only found it out because some points had been deposited to my Hhonors account.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At hazard of repetition, I will always contact a hotel - particularly one that is booked or has a special event - I will arrive late at and let them know 1) I am arriving late, and 2) I have paid with my credit card and want my room held. If I know this when I am booking, I will also append this in the "Notes" section of my booking.

It adds some minor hassle (and can avoid major hassle) - but it has worked, and the one time I felt I was was skating on thin ice due to some serious airline delays and I arrived after midnight, they had kept the Presidential Suite for me (Embassy Suites Portland - Washington Square, Portland OR :-:.)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:00 am

Good advice. @:-)

In this particular instance, I didn't have the opportunity to call the hotel to inform them of a later than usual arrival prior to my arrival due to a short connection on a weather delayed flight.

However, you would think that the hotel would give you a courtesy call (at least to their HH Diamond members) to let you know that you are being walked (especially since they apparently knew in advance that they were going to walk me-and, that fact that their hotel (unbeknownst to me) had been oversold for the past three days ). I have been contacted by a hotel when an unusual circumstance arises with my reservation (most recently, Homewood Suites in Pensacola when they asked to switch my reservation to a handicapped room).

I have never used the "Notes" section of the online reservation. Do they actually read that?

Originally Posted by JDiver
At hazard of repetition, I will always contact a hotel - particularly one that is booked or has a special event - I will arrive late at and let them know 1) I am arriving late, and 2) I have paid with my credit card and want my room held. If I know this when I am booking, I will also append this in the "Notes" section of my booking.

It adds some minor hassle (and can avoid major hassle) - but it has worked, and the one time I felt I was was skating on thin ice due to some serious airline delays and I arrived after midnight, they had kept the Presidential Suite for me (Embassy Suites Portland - Washington Square, Portland OR :-:.)
Old Jul 24, 2007, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
(especially since they apparently knew in advance that they were going to walk me-and, that fact that their hotel (unbeknownst to me) had been oversold for the past three days ).
All the more reason why you should not have been walked in the first place!
Old Jul 24, 2007, 8:08 pm

Having worked front desk at Hilton before I am aware that we have a policy never to walk HHonors Diamond memebers. You are entitled to monatary compensation (I believe in the $200 range) from the hotel and I believe that there is additonal compensation that is recieved. This is a very unusual circumstance as I have never had to walk a diamond member.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:11 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

I have never used the "Notes" section of the online reservation. Do they actually read that?
Usually. I regularly put in the notes requests about where in the hotel I would like to stay (top floor, etc.) At the front desk, they will often say as they are handing me the key 'we have accomodated your request for ...'
Old Jul 25, 2007, 8:57 am

But is THAT necessary? Isn't stuff like non smoking, high floor, away from elevators, etc already in your Preferences?

I guess If I were ever to use Notes, it would be for a special need-something more specific and not covered in Preferences, like requesting baby crib, needing a refrigerator, etc. ^

Originally Posted by lougord99
Usually. I regularly put in the notes requests about where in the hotel I would like to stay (top floor, etc.) At the front desk, they will often say as they are handing me the key 'we have accomodated your request for ...'
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
But is THAT necessary? Isn't stuff like non smoking, high floor, away from elevators, etc already in your Preferences?

I guess If I were ever to use Notes, it would be for a special need-something more specific and not covered in Preferences, like requesting baby crib, needing a refrigerator, etc. ^
I agree. My preferences are on file and reiterated with my reservation. However, if I was making a res through the HH website, I would use comments to request non-connecting rooms or hot and cold running hookers, that sort of thing.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hotels: Golden Airlines: B6 Mosiac
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I agree. However, ..I would use comments to request non-connecting rooms or hot and cold running hookers.
Does Hilton offer that? Is that only at the Reno Hilton, and I thought that closed? Only if your a Perferred Gold perhaps?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:50 pm
cl_

Originally Posted by Margk

I was walked from a Hampton on Wednesday of this week, when I showed up at my usual time of about 11:30pm. I've got over 40 stays so far this year, and about 12 of them at the Hampton that walked me. In regards to the above:
a. The hotel I was walked to was an independent "historic" hotel - hardly equal or greater value.
b. They did pay the night and gave me a piece of paper stating i could make a free phone call
c. Transportation was not offered, but I had a rental car so no issue.
d. Not sure if it was reported. I doubt it.
e. No cash; apology only.
f. No stay credit or points have posted.
Now what really frosts me about this situation is that I have been staying at this hotel every other week for a year, same night of the week, one night stay. Recently either the hotel or my admin made a mistake and apparently I ended up with a reservation for a Friday and Saturday at this place. Obviously I did not show up. I learned about this when the charge showed up on my credit card. I called the hotel to get a refund, but they stated that although they were sold out on those nights, they held a room for me because I am a diamond, and thus they cannot refund these mysterious no- show reservations. They finally agreed to refund one of the two nights of charges. Yet on Wednesday, my regular night, when I showed up at my regular time, they had given the room I reserved away. Apparently they don't always hold rooms for diamonds when they are oversold.

I have yet to discuss this with the manager (have not received any apology either), but prior to reading this thread I was thinking I would tell him to refund the second night for the mystery reservation (which I cannot get reimbursed for) and charge me for Wednesday (which I can get reimbursed for) and make sure I get my stay credit and points for Wednesday. After reading this thread, I will ask for more if he is uncooperative. If he is cooperative I'll leave it at what would have originally made me happy. That $100 sure would be nice though - no mention of that when they walked me.
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:37 pm
ES

Walked - Any Chances of Getting Stay Credit?

Upon a midnight arrival, I walked from a Hampton Inn. I am only a Silver. I contacted Hhonors via e-mail about getting stay credit since I am close to getting Gold this month. I was offered 500 points and told it was not possible to provide stay credits. I was comped the walked room which I believe is a standard practice; however, I was getting reimbursed for the room cost, so the cost savings did not benefit me. The stay credit is the benefit I am seeking. I am considering contacting the hotel manager who I have had past dealings with. Would calling (instead of e-mailing) be a better strategy? Any other suggestions?
Old Aug 4, 2007, 6:33 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Where did they put you up at? If it was another hilton, they will not give you credit since that would be double. If it was a non hilton they should give you credit, just like you stayed at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.