Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
What hotel wouldn't walk you at 3 am, despite being a repeat VIP customer...they haven't received a phone call from you, and the hotel is sold out.

They have no idea if you're showing up or not...as the mutual fund industry makes very clear: past results do not indicate future returns!
Please reconcile your logic with the term credit card GUARANTEE - thank you.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm glad it worked out to your satisfaction. You were extremely gracious considering the circumstances.

Bottom line is that nobody with a guaranteed reservation should be walked - PERIOD - at 3am. If the hotel is overbooked, they should start walking people at 6pm or a more reasonable hour, rather than greatly inconveniencing people who arrive late night. They will get the same revenue - all rooms are sold out regardless of whether people arrive or not.

It also goes without saying that the decision on who should be walked should be based on status as is usually done at most properties. Elites should never be walked - PERIOD.

Hotels are going to be next on the list for federal regulation if they don't get their act together.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
If the hotel is overbooked, they should start walking people at 6pm or a more reasonable hour, rather than greatly inconveniencing people who arrive late night.
I've always wondered why hotels don't have a better "system" for handling overbooking. Something better than "whoever shows up last gets hosed".

I don't have the perfect solution. I know it's a harder balancing act to achieve: it's not like a flight where the everybody is together in one place and the airline can take exactly as many VDB's as it needs.

I guess the best we can hope for today is that they are at least proactive in supporting the people who get walked. The story in this thread is one of the better experiences - the worst are the ones where the guest shows up, the clerk says "You're getting walked", and only then starts dialogue with other hotels in the area - after midnight, with the guest standing there - looking for the alternate room.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I wonder why hotels who know they are drastically over-booked on a particular day do not use the volunteer method that the airlines use. Say a property knows it is overbooked by 25 rooms, and historical trends tell them that roughly 5 (20%) will likely no show (can vary by property). So they know know that if trend holds, they have 20 or so rooms they will need to "walk" to other properties. Obviously they can hedge their bet by trying to "pre-walk" 10-15 of these by asking at check-in if they would be willing to move to another property, and as the airlines do, offer a bonus or financial reward for voluntarily moving. There are many travelers who do not travel on a companies dime, so the benefit of a free night (which would occur if they were walked later anyway) may appeal to them. From a customer service standpoint, it is much easier to deal with a volunteer walk rather than walking a diamond or someone who has no benefit from the free night a walk creates. This also helps reduce the impact later if a walk is needed considering the later it is, the less staff will be on-hand to handle the situation and the higher risk of not being able to find a property to move them to at 0200 or so in the morning.

The issue of over-booking will not go away, but hotels could do a much better job of managing the process if they were more proactive and tried to minimize the impact of over-booking instead of waiting until the hotel is full and a walk is needed to even start to deal with the issue.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My hunch is that it's because they always hope they will be able to avoid the walk situation through natural no-shows. They're hesitant to "pre-walk" 10-15 people and later find out that they could have gotten away with only walking 5 people.

It seems like statistical models should be able to help them out though... That's how the airlines predict their ability to oversell quite often and VDB somewhat rarely.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by pinniped
My hunch is that it's because they always hope they will be able to avoid the walk situation through natural no-shows. They're hesitant to "pre-walk" 10-15 people and later find out that they could have gotten away with only walking 5 people.

It seems like statistical models should be able to help them out though... That's how the airlines predict their ability to oversell quite often and VDB somewhat rarely.
That is exactly the logic. If they can avoid walking 5 people, that's 5 rooms that they didn't have buy from their competitor (just as airlines generally don't VDB until the flight boards full).

The problem, as you point out, is that the inconvenience is most severe to those who show up the latest (unlike airlines, where volunteers can often self-select). That is why IMO they should make a decision at 6pm. They really owe their customers that much respect, particularly when they use terms like "this deposit will guarantee your room" and then essentially don't honor it.

There really is no excuse for it when they are guaranteed payment up front, as is customarily the case now, with perhaps the exception of situation where people overstay past their scheduled checkouts. Essentially they want to double-dip - sell the room twice, and hope they don't get called on it.

I do find it surprising that no chain has offered to provide a 100% Guarantee for elite reservations. But maybe elites are also the ones that are most likely to no-show given their hectic travel schedules. Still it would be a much better perk than a cookie and newspaper.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:55 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
"Guaranteed" with a credit card does not mean that you are guaranteed to have a room when you arrive. It means that you guarantee payment if you don't show up.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 3:37 am

elites shouldn't be walked and i'm sure the hotel also learnt a lesson out of this. though that's why reps ask for your estimated arrival time.

anyone who reads this thread should remember to call in case of arriving very very late. even if you're too stubborn (as in "i shouldn't be walked, i have a reservation and can arrive whenever") then just to assure your own bottom unless you feel like moving at 3am.

though yes, very nasty situation it was indeed. luckily they understood their mistake!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 5:45 pm

I was walked once and agree that the benefits of a free room etc are of little use if I'm travelling on business. Indeed, trying to explain why a room night didnt show up on my expense report would have led to deep suspicion.

Anyway, point of this post is to suggest that (informal I suspect) reciprocal agreements exist between close-by hotels, regardless of the fact that they may be entirely different chains (ie mutual managerial back-scratching). In retrospect, this is what I think happened to me - if the reciprocal arrangements were informal this would help both managers reach what must be their targets of 100% occupancy.
Anyone confirm/deny this?

My educated guess is that most walks are for single or very short term stays - ie high yield stays but not repeat high yielders (ie elites) are treated differently...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by Markieg
I was walked once and agree that the benefits of a free room etc are of little use if I'm travelling on business. Indeed, trying to explain why a room night didnt show up on my expense report would have led to deep suspicion.

Anyway, point of this post is to suggest that (informal I suspect) reciprocal agreements exist between close-by hotels, regardless of the fact that they may be entirely different chains (ie mutual managerial back-scratching). In retrospect, this is what I think happened to me - if the reciprocal arrangements were informal this would help both managers reach what must be their targets of 100% occupancy.

My educated guess is that most walks are for single or very short term stays - ie high yield stays but not repeat high yielders (ie elites) are treated differently...
Yes they do and it has nothing to do with chain affiliation. Some time ago I worked for a friend and helped him run a small independent beach front condo resort here on Siesta Key. The resort was managed by a hotel managment company in Boston so everything had to be reported but it was easily done. He had a handshake agreement with a Holiday Inn Select that was just about 1/2 mile away for "emergencies" when and if either manager got little "greedy" and gave out rooms to drive ins that needed a room for 1 night only during the high season, when CC guaranteed reses not showing up at what we considered a reasonable hour. Don't forget, SRQ usually closes down around 10-11 pm and TPA around midnight. From experience we knew that if the guests did not show up around midnight they probably experienced problems with their flights. Most people that knew they were showing up late pretty much informed us of that fact during reservations as we had a very tough deposit return policy during the high season.

Anyway, both managers had to pay for the rooms but it was a "special" manager approved rate that was usually approved for corporate, friends, family guests, so both managers could still show something on the books.
In more serious arrangments there may be a contractual agreement but nevertheless it will still be at very low rates.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Italy98
If the room is guaranteed by credit card then the room is to be held regardless of the time of arrival. If I am a no-show then I am charged for the room. The clerk, probably the bean counter, failed in his or her responsibility by not keeping the room and charging for it if the guest did not show.
Let's be reasonable people...at some point the "guarantee" loses it's appeal to hotel management and they roll the dice to use an "empty" room.

What I find funny about the responses from those that have been walked is that a simple phone call would probably have avoided any "walk" issues. Yet diamonds and other VIPs expect a hotel not to maximize their intrinsic value by renting out a room at 3 am.

Like I said before, if I was the hotel and it was 3 am and I had an empty room on a sold out night and no call from you and there's a paying customer in front of me...I'd walk you every time. That's just my opinion of course...and I don't own or operate a hotel!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Markieg
When my wife worked the front desk they started calling around early in the night to see who had rooms that they could walk people to if they knew they were over sold. You may be walked from a Hilton to a sheraton and it costs the first hotel nothing because it is owned or managed by the same company. Some hotels also do a nightly call sheet to see what other hotels in the area are charging for the night and if they have rooms left. This lets them know if they need to raise there walk in rate or lower it so they don't lose business to the hotel accross the street. The front desk clerks do not like to walk a business traveler because they know most of them don't pay for their own room and don't want a free room down the street, they just want a room where they can relax or sleep. When my wifes hotel was over sold in busy season they would tell the people being walked that a tour bus broke down and the people had to stay a extra night. It kept the yelling down.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
if I was the hotel and it was 3 am and I had an empty room on a sold out night and no call from you and there's a paying customer in front of me...I'd walk you every time. That's just my opinion of course...and I don't own or operate a hotel!
Sometimes people can't call. You can't call from a plane all the time, for example.

It's especially bad to walk a guest who is a frequent one who often arrives late in the evening (which the property should know) and who has top tier status.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AusTXFlyer
I absolutely agree that "stuff" happens, and know that if I had used online check in or had called ahead, this whole mess would have been avoided. But then I also wouldn't get the Pres Suite

Just for my information, why do you say not to expect compensation? Even as a Diamond, I am relatively new to the program and want to understand what I should or should not expect when I "negotiate" with the manager. I have only been an HHonors member since July but made Diamond on base points. Boston is $$$$
Why are you happy to pay 50% more than original reservation?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AusTXFlyer
I wrote this last night, but didn't have wireless to post:

And now, for the rest of the story...

So I come back to the Hilton to check in and everyone is very friendly, the girl at the counter says that they have a very nice room waiting for me and that if I need anything at all to please let any member of the staff know. She gives me my reservation slip to sign and I mention to her that the rate is much higher than my original confirmation. I give her the printout of my original confirmation to prove the reserved rate (Thanks Cheap Elite - great tip!). She types all the info into her computer and says, "Wow, that is much higher. Just one moment please." and walks off someplace. I take this as an opportunity to get the bags I had checked with the concierge earlier. While I am waiting for my bags I see the young lady come back to the counter and sort of motion in my direction to the manager with her. He comes out from behind the counter, walks over to me and introduces himself. He then walks back to the counter with me and apologizes *profusely* for the incident. He says that they have arranged for a very nice room (there's that term again!) and that my original rate will absolutely be honored. I tell him that I appreciate that, and that I have always been very happy with the service at the hotel and understand that these things can happen. He thanks me for the kind words, considering I had been walked, and says that Diamonds shouldn't be treated that way, and he will apply 5,000 HHonors points to my account as well. Damn! This is getting better and better every moment. I thank him, get my key and start to leave again. The manager comes back out from behind the counter to shake my hand and apologize again. This guy is good!

So I get up to the top floor and to my door, which is *much* nicer than any of the other doors - big and dark wood. I walk into this ENORMOUS room with dark wood paneling all of the walls, beautiful furniture including hand-carved armoires (sp?) and a large dining room table with a bottle of wine and a hand-written note from the manager, in which he apologized again and included his business card, should I need anything else. Amazing! I guess I sound like sort of a hayseed, but this really is an incredibly nice hotel room. I went out for dinner and when I returned the manager had left me a voice mail, making sure everything was to my liking and letting me know, once again, to contact any of the staff if I need anything else.

I have to say that I don't think this could have turned out any better for either me or the hotel. I get a (most likely) once in a lifetime stay at a hotel, and they get a loyal customer for life.

Now I'm not sure that I want to call when I'm going to be late. Maybe I will get walked more often

Cheers,
ATF
Nevermind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.