Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:42 pm

Programs: aa-plat, nw-gold, ua, sw, marriot-plat, hh-silver, hz-presidents circle, amtrak-who knows
Odd, I've never had a problem checking in late anywhere... granted most of my experience is with Marriott, and i know different rules, etc., but this does seem odd.

I guess I have to wonder why a desk clerk would yank a high level status patron's reservation, unless another hight status patron came in to claim a room. Possible, but seems unlikely.

_m
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:52 pm

I was once walked about a mile to another hotel. I asked for someone from the hotel to drive me to the new hotel, as cabs were not plentiful that time of night.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 8:54 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond, DL: Plat
Well we disagree. However, I don't get your math, how do you explain that the hotel receives "2 times" revenue, when they have to PAY to walk the member?
Again, that is the gamble the hotel is taking, if you are indeed a no-show, and you are really holding the last room, they can sell that room to a walk-up. They get the revenue for the walk-up and the revenue for the no-show (gtd. reservation). If you show up, then the risk did not pay off for them.

It is really no different then denied boarding. When is the last time you did a voluntary (or involuntary) denied boarding without compensation?
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
A) You should have called as indicated. It appears you do understand "things happen".
Is there a time when a reservation guaranteed for late arrival is not guaranteed? I think you miss the point

Please do not expect any compenstation.
The hotel should provide some form of compensation. They did a bad thing to a vip customer.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
[QUOTE=Cheap Elite;8571855]The hotel you actually stay at should give you credit, since that is where you had your "stay".

Totally disagree. OP booked a Hilton property. He got walked to a non-Hilton property. Getting a night's stay credit and points in Marriott is not what he anticipated. Maybe that night is what he needs for requalification as Diamond, or for a promo?

No different than when an airline moves you to a non-partner airline in an overbook or irrops situation. You always want to ask for Original Routing Credit. Same thing should go for hotels.

Which means the double-dip (not the HHonors double-dip) should also come into play if the walkee wants to also get Marriott points. But if his loyalty has been to Hilton, Hilton should not be saying "hey, go get your loyalty points from our competitor Marriott."

Sounds like a call or email to the Diamond Desk is in order here.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Ignoring the fact you were walked for a second are you serious that they upgraded you and charged you a higher rate? to Hilton on this one.
Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
[QUOTE=MarkXS;8572027]
The hotel you actually stay at should give you credit, since that is where you had your "stay".

Totally disagree. OP booked a Hilton property. He got walked to a non-Hilton property. Getting a night's stay credit and points in Marriott is not what he anticipated. Maybe that night is what he needs for requalification as Diamond, or for a promo?

No different than when an airline moves you to a non-partner airline in an overbook or irrops situation. You always want to ask for Original Routing Credit. Same thing should go for hotels.

Which means the double-dip (not the HHonors double-dip) should also come into play if the walkee wants to also get Marriott points. But if his loyalty has been to Hilton, Hilton should not be saying "hey, go get your loyalty points from our competitor Marriott."

Sounds like a call or email to the Diamond Desk is in order here.
Ahh....young jedi, you might disagree, but not receiving credit for a walk, seems to be the normal. It is what it is.Just do a search on this very subject. Don't you just love the search feature?

Now, I understand what you're saying and feel like if you're walked you should get credit at the brand you booked. However, many of our fellow Hilton forumers report that they do not get points/stay credit, when walked.

Off topic: This is another example of a thread that should be merged as there is existing and informative thread.
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=WALKED
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:23 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, PC RA, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Delayed Follow up

I wrote this last night, but didn't have wireless to post:

And now, for the rest of the story...

So I come back to the Hilton to check in and everyone is very friendly, the girl at the counter says that they have a very nice room waiting for me and that if I need anything at all to please let any member of the staff know. She gives me my reservation slip to sign and I mention to her that the rate is much higher than my original confirmation. I give her the printout of my original confirmation to prove the reserved rate (Thanks Cheap Elite - great tip!). She types all the info into her computer and says, "Wow, that is much higher. Just one moment please." and walks off someplace. I take this as an opportunity to get the bags I had checked with the concierge earlier. While I am waiting for my bags I see the young lady come back to the counter and sort of motion in my direction to the manager with her. He comes out from behind the counter, walks over to me and introduces himself. He then walks back to the counter with me and apologizes *profusely* for the incident. He says that they have arranged for a very nice room (there's that term again!) and that my original rate will absolutely be honored. I tell him that I appreciate that, and that I have always been very happy with the service at the hotel and understand that these things can happen. He thanks me for the kind words, considering I had been walked, and says that Diamonds shouldn't be treated that way, and he will apply 5,000 HHonors points to my account as well. Damn! This is getting better and better every moment. I thank him, get my key and start to leave again. The manager comes back out from behind the counter to shake my hand and apologize again. This guy is good!

So I get up to the top floor and to my door, which is *much* nicer than any of the other doors - big and dark wood. I walk into this ENORMOUS room with dark wood paneling all of the walls, beautiful furniture including hand-carved armoires (sp?) and a large dining room table with a bottle of wine and a hand-written note from the manager, in which he apologized again and included his business card, should I need anything else. Amazing! I guess I sound like sort of a hayseed, but this really is an incredibly nice hotel room. I went out for dinner and when I returned the manager had left me a voice mail, making sure everything was to my liking and letting me know, once again, to contact any of the staff if I need anything else.

I have to say that I don't think this could have turned out any better for either me or the hotel. I get a (most likely) once in a lifetime stay at a hotel, and they get a loyal customer for life.

Now I'm not sure that I want to call when I'm going to be late. Maybe I will get walked more often

Cheers,
ATF
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Good to hear.^

One additional tip, make sure to get the "promise" of 5,000 points in writing!
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:49 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, PC RA, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Good to hear.^

One additional tip, make sure to get the "promise" of 5,000 points in writing!
Another great tip!

Thanks so much to everyone (especially Cheap Elite) for the words of wisdom and inputs. This is the best example of why I think this forum is such an incredible resource!

Cheers,
ATF
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Sounds like a good end to a bad story.......
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
FYI @ Marriott this would result in CASH in your hand and the above.[/QUOTE]

Not always, stayed at a Marriott in FL and checked in late (had guaranteed room and thought guarantee meant they held the room or charged me, not give it away) and they put me up in an alternative hotel. Checked in the next day and the visit was fine but no compensation. The funniest thing is they charged me for not checking in the first time. Turned out they rebooked the room for the remainder of the stay. Quick call resolved issue.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Stay enough and this situation is bound to happen to you. I have been walked as both Diamond HHonors and Platinum SPG, both seemed extremely distasteful the evening of the incident (late flight, poor customer service, etc.), but both seemed much more "fair" in the morning when the more powerful hotel representatives were onsite.

At the Chicago Hilton, I was sent to the Marriott in a cab with a crisp, new $10 bill and a free night. When I came back, same situation, I had adjusted rates like I had just made the reservation. After a quick conversation and the confirmation email, problem solved.

At the Sheraton Towers in Chicago, I was sent to the same Marriott (how is this a pattern?) with a $10 bill (who knew) and a free night. New rate, quick conversation, old rate, lots of apologies.

In the end, yes, it does not help the business traveler to get a free night without the "stay", "night", or "point" credit, but I certainly hope everyone would agree that if this was on your dime and Hilton gave you a free room for a night (in Chicago, that would be close to $300) the situation would be a little different.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by illinifan
FYI @ Marriott this would result in CASH in your hand and the above.
Not always, stayed at a Marriott in FL and checked in late (had guaranteed room and thought guarantee meant they held the room or charged me, not give it away) and they put me up in an alternative hotel. Checked in the next day and the visit was fine but no compensation. The funniest thing is they charged me for not checking in the first time. Turned out they rebooked the room for the remainder of the stay. Quick call resolved issue.[/QUOTE]

As a Marriot PLT or Gold this would result in $100 cash. If if didnt - they got away with it
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by illinifan
FYI @ Marriott this would result in CASH in your hand and the above.
Not always, stayed at a Marriott in FL and checked in late (had guaranteed room and thought guarantee meant they held the room or charged me, not give it away) and they put me up in an alternative hotel. Checked in the next day and the visit was fine but no compensation. The funniest thing is they charged me for not checking in the first time. Turned out they rebooked the room for the remainder of the stay. Quick call resolved issue.[/QUOTE]

Not really for this forum, but if you look at the Marriott Elite benefits, for any walk at a FS Marriott, the guarantee results in the following:

$200 CASH
Cert for 2 nights at any Marriott
Marriott pays for the walked night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.