Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
If I saved the $, had a comfortable enough evening, maybe even got points/benefits at the other hotel, and the original "walking" hotel gave me an apology, and maybe a little more such as a drink or meal, I'd be thrilled with the result.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Lightbulb Philosophical Aside

Originally Posted by kevino
I'd walk a mile for a free room.
But then it wouldn't be free, now, would it.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:22 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
I was walked at a hotel in Florida (somewhere) when on a fly drive. It was probably a HI or similar.

I got walked to a similar hotel close by, which was free, including breakfast as it was free at the original hotel but not at the one I was moved to. I also made sure I got the stay credit and points.

Other than that I was more than happy for the free room.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kevino
I'd walk a mile for a free room.

And the Sheraton is more romantic than the HHV.
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
The price is still right.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT, HH Diamond, SPG PLT, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
whenever any of my consulting associates have been walked, they receive a free night cert from the desk that they were walked from (granted the free night cert is always from the hotel in question and not always a great exchange, nevertheless it is something).

JK
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:25 am

Walked from ES in Monterey

Showed up late, around 1am on a Thursday, the weekend before New Year's. No non-smoking rooms were available so I was walked to a Holiday Inn Express. Room was comped at the Holiday Inn. Followed up with the Diamond Desk and they sent a note to the ES requesting that they follow up with me personally. I never heard back from the ES, but the Diamond desk sent me a free night certificate for my troubles. According to the Diamond agent, the ES was "fined" the amount of the certificate for not following up from a Diamond member's complaint. I felt the Diamond desk did an excellent job, but feel the ES failed miserably.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC Elite, Flying Blue Gold
Smile

Was walked from a HI once a few years back (when I was Gold) as a group of 30 tourists decided to stay an extra night. Was given a free night at another hotel down the road plus $5 phone call charges was provided. I also insisted on free breakfast which was not originally provided as I would have had breakfast included at the HI, so the HI manager rang up the hotel to add the breakfast to the free room.

When I got home, I had to email HH to request a missing stay and points, which they first refused. After explaining the circumstances, sending proof and HH receiving clarification from the HI in question, I later received my missing stay and points (as if I had stayed there)
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the responses. For the record I showed up shortly after 8PM local time...not particularly late by my standards. A fellow diamond (my boss) staying at the same rate and about two steps behind me checked in and received a nice upgraded room. While I had never stayed at the property, he had stayed more than a dozen nights including six this past January. My feeling is that 40K HHonors points (one night at the HHV) woud be appropriate compensation for the inconvenience and lax attitude of the HHV front desk staff. I'll try to work with the hotel's GM before involving the Diamond Desk and HHonors Customer Service. The sight of dozens of people checking in after me, most of whom were likely NOT diamonds, is somewhat troubling nonetheless.
Old Feb 22, 2006, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The price is still right.
^
Old Feb 22, 2006, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT | HHonors Gold | Starwood Gold*
Talking

I'd walk any day for a free room Probably save ~10,000 HHonors points on up
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Personally, I think the OP got a free hotel room for the night as isn't due any additional compensation...
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:22 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
That's true.

However, I think it is actually better to walk the mile for the room rather than get it completely for free.

If something is completely free, it's human nature to not appreciate it as much.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,Continental Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
Walked in Houston

I had a reservation at a Homewood Suites in Houston, and when I arrived at 6:00 PM I was told that there wasn't a room. I was switched to a Hampton Inn about 6 miles away and given a free night. I had the option of coming back to the Homewood, but why the hassel of moving when I was only staying for 2 nights. I understand fully why I was walked though. Hurricane Katrina had just hit, and people were staying in Houston. I was happy that they were able to find me a room at all. The only thing that did bother me was that the evening "social hour" at the Hampton was canceled because they said that there were too many kids at the hotel and they didn't want to run the risk.

Even the MOD at the Hampton was suprised that I was walked as a Diamond.
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The big problem with "walking" guests is the circumstances under which it happens - specifically, it usually happens to the guest who has already had a long day and probably some travel problems getting to the hotel. If I show up at midnight because my flight was delayed six hours, I want my damn room, not $50, a free night cert to use later, and a long walk to Motel 6.

Not sure what the fix is...I think there are some cases where a hotel knows, a few minutes after the cancellation time (usually 6PM), that they are way over. Maybe in those cases, they could put in a simple volunteer system. Maybe if I show at 7PM, see that they'll looking for volunteers to take free nights, bonus points, or whatever to go crash at the Motel 6, I'll listen.

Whenever I know I'm going to be really, really late, I call my hotel and say "I'm coming - I really, really mean it. Please don't give away my room!" Luckily, I haven't been walked from any hotel since about 1995 (that was at a place where I wasn't even a member of their program).
Old Feb 23, 2006, 1:27 pm

What is "appropriate compensation" for being walked. I agree, you are getting a free room. You stay is FREE. I believe that is compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.