Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:07 am

Thanks for the point of comparison

Marriott's policy makes the various compensations that HHonors members have reported, look inadequate. Marriott's policy certainly recognizes the importance of this issue to the affected guest.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbbb
The bottom line is that 99% of the time the last guy to check-in will be the one walked. Because if he don't show up the hotel wins and does not have to pay for a walk.
Well, I would think at the very least that it's somewhat more complicated than that. For example, if the hotel is overbooked for N nights, then it might be the last person to check in who has a booking for N nights (not fewer or more)?

Also, if the next-to-last person to check-in paid half the rate of the last person, and thus the hotel has to only eat half the rate, then what?
Old Mar 4, 2006, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, Hilton Diamond
I never realized that Marriott had such a great policy regarding if they have to walk one of their Platinums!

I'll be sure if this ever happens again to me as a Diamond to inform Hilton of this fact. I esp like the extra $200 and 2 free room certificates.

Now that would be make happy with their service.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by mazzer
What did they do to compensate you?
I got stay credit and the points/miles that I would have earned at the rate I reserved. In addition, I got HHonors points sufficient for a one night stay at the HHV. As I said, that was sufficient...well that and an apology from the assistant GM that called me.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
Walked as Diamond VIP

A couple of weeks ago, I had a confirmed two night stay reservation at the Hampton Inn Cleveland Airport location-that coincided with the NBA Finals taking place that week in town.

Upon arrival around midnight, I was told I was being walked next door to the Extended Stay America, as there were no rooms for me at the HI. I have never been walked before. Tired and irritated, After being given a letter to cover my two night stay, I went over to the ESA-who knew nothing of my supposed arranged stay at their hotel. In addition, the only rooms available were smoking (completely unacceptable).

I walked back over to the HI and complained bitterly. I was told by the desk manager that all the hotels in the area were booked. I called the Diamond VIP number and scrambled for a hotel room. After 30 minutes on the phone, I found a room at the HGI Cleveland downtown with rooms at $189/night (double what I would've paid at the HI). I was told by the HI desk manager that they would cover my two night stay as long as I bring the letter.

Checked in at the HGI around 1:30a, with an early morning appt a few hours later. (note that Game 4 was taking place that evening)

Later that evening when I arrived back the HGI, I was called by the front desk telling me that I would be responsible for the two night stay, despite the letter from HI.

I called the HI back and tried to get satisfaction. I was told by the desk manager that only one night's stay would be covered and that I was to return to the HI since they had rooms that night for the 2nd night. I was flabbergasted, since I was told nothing of this the night before-and also explained that it would have been my preference to return to the HI anyway since I had an early morning flight the next day. However, it was too late to check out of the HGI, so I was stuck.

Unfortunately for me, everyone who need to be involved in the decision regarding the situation were at the game.

So I wound up paying for the stay and having to deal with getting reimbursed afterward. The HI general manager offered to pay the first night stay, but would not cover both nights. He also offered a free 3 night stay at his hotel the next time I was in Cleveland (which is not anytime soon).

In any event, I was ticked to no end. Miscommunication was the operative word here. The HI should have notified me of the oversold situation, so I could have made arrangements for alternative lodging-instead of upon my arrival at their hotel. They didn't make any arrangements for my supposed stay at the ESA, despite the form letter that was given to me. In addition, they should have told me that I was to return to the HI for the 2nd night (which they didn't).

I was not very happy as to how I was treated at all. I wrote a letter to HHonors to voice my complaint. Anyone out there had a similar experience?
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:27 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Have you talked to the Diamond Desk? I can't believe they would find the HI manager's proposed soultions acceptable. Any good rep on the Diamond Desk should be able to get you a refund. Keep going until you get one. If they didn't tell you in time to return for the second night, the HI has no leg to stand on.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:39 pm

I haven't called the Diamond VIP desk, only because I wanted to have documentation-so, I sent an email last week to the HH Guest Assistance Team voice my complaint. After a week, I have yet to get even a form letter response from them.

Originally Posted by SMF Rider
Have you talked to the Diamond Desk? I can't believe they would find the HI manager's proposed soultions acceptable. Any good rep on the Diamond Desk should be able to get you a refund. Keep going until you get one. If they didn't tell you in time to return for the second night, the HI has no leg to stand on.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:04 pm

You really, really need to talk to the Diamond Desk. HH assistance doesn't have the unilateral decision-making power as the DD. Now that you have you're documentation, call the DD and offer to fax them everything they need. Don't stop until you're fully reimbursed for this unexusable behavior by the HI - then demand saitsfaction in the form of HH point compensation - this is at least worth 10,000-20,000 points (my opinion), then call the HI back and take the 3-night cert from them (might as well not let that go, just demand a "no-expiration cert").
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:20 pm

I just called the Diamond VIP desk and spoke with Guest Asssistance. I forwarded my email documentation, and they are now looking into the situation. I was assured that I would be hearing something soon on this...

I will keep y'all updated....
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:30 pm

The DD does not have a magic wand

Originally Posted by Ritz
You really, really need to talk to the Diamond Desk. HH assistance doesn't have the unilateral decision-making power as the DD. Now that you have you're documentation, call the DD and offer to fax them everything they need.
I am jumping in here because I believe that it is important for us all to understand what the DD can and cannot do.

The DD can help will all aspects of reservations (incl scarce ones) and all aspects of the HH program, incl benefits, rewards and administration. They cannot help with the type of customer service issue raised by the OP, especially in the case of a franchised property.

The best approach is to lean on the people at Hilton Customer care, who, according to my experience, know how to look after Diamond members.

The ultimate arbiter in the type of dispute reaised by the OP is Hotel management. All that Customer Care can do is to monitor the dispute and try and sooth the waters if the Hotel mangement does not offer a satisfactory outcome.

The OP recieved very shabby treatment which should be made right
Old Jun 26, 2007, 2:42 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
I cannot agree more with the basic fact that you must call the Diamond Desk. In fact, you say you called the DD during this fiasco... but only to find another room in town, right? I could be wrong, but had you explained the situation to the DD, they would have offered to speak to the manager of the HI and resolve the situation.... that's been my experience anyway.

Good luck in getting this solved!
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
I am jumping in here because I believe that it is important for us all to understand what the DD can and cannot do.

The DD can help will all aspects of reservations (incl scarce ones) and all aspects of the HH program, incl benefits, rewards and administration. They cannot help with the type of customer service issue raised by the OP, especially in the case of a franchised property.

The best approach is to lean on the people at Hilton Customer care, who, according to my experience, know how to look after Diamond members.

The ultimate arbiter in the type of dispute reaised by the OP is Hotel management. All that Customer Care can do is to monitor the dispute and try and sooth the waters if the Hotel mangement does not offer a satisfactory outcome.

The OP recieved very shabby treatment which should be made right
I disagree. The DD has refunded the cost of an unplesant stay based on a satisfaction guarantee. The hotel ignored my contacts so the DD unilaterally gave me a refund and charged it against the hotel.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Bondiboy
They cannot help with the type of customer service issue raised by the OP, especially in the case of a franchised property.
Completely incorrect. Have had them deal with these issues many times, and they have the ability to issue refunds, credits, etc. etc.
Old Jun 27, 2007, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by kevino
If something is completely free, it's human nature to not appreciate it as much.
edited as off topic

squeakr
MOD Hilton

Last edited by squeakr; Jun 27, 2007 at 9:10 pm Reason: off topic
Old Jun 27, 2007, 9:50 am

All this took place after midnight upon my arrival. After my unacceptable (non)accommodations at the ESA, my priority in my exhausted state was to find a room. Had it been earlier in the evening and I were not tired, I would've tried to use the DD to arbitrate for me. In reality, little (if anything) can be done after hours.

The HI night manager seems to have limited options at his/her disposal at night without first talking first and getting approval from the general manager of the property as well as the accounting manager of the property-all of whom are involved in making a decision such as the one required in my situation. I learned this personally as I was on the phone for several hours with the HI night manager on the last night of my stay (during Game 4 of the NBA Finals (when both the GM and the AM were unreachable and likely at the game). The HI night manager I spoke to that night could not make a unilateral decision in this matter.

Originally Posted by Uniter
I cannot agree more with the basic fact that you must call the Diamond Desk. In fact, you say you called the DD during this fiasco... but only to find another room in town, right? I could be wrong, but had you explained the situation to the DD, they would have offered to speak to the manager of the HI and resolve the situation.... that's been my experience anyway.

Good luck in getting this solved!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.