Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Please...

Originally Posted by Sthurston
PERIOD....end of story

Upgrade, ammenity, original rate, free night or bonus points and massage from the GM are all in order here.

FYI @ Marriott this would result in CASH in your hand and the above.
If I was working at the hotel, I would have walked you too at 3 am. What hotel wouldn't walk you at 3 am, despite being a repeat VIP customer...they haven't received a phone call from you, and the hotel is sold out.

They have no idea if you're showing up or not...as the mutual fund industry makes very clear: past results do not indicate future returns!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:57 pm

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
Originally Posted by deant
Not really for this forum, but if you look at the Marriott Elite benefits, for any walk at a FS Marriott, the guarantee results in the following:

$200 CASH
Cert for 2 nights at any Marriott
Marriott pays for the walked night
I have been walked at a Hilton property, a Wyndham, and a Starwood - but NEVER from a Marriott. I am not going to debate the merits of one program over another, as I am sure that each side has its loyal following, but this is one thing that Marriott gets right.

The key is that the free night that you got at the Marriott doesn't really do much for you - as you say that you are staying on the client's dime. I am sure that THEY appreciate that you were inconvenienced and got them a free room night! However, since you were the one inconvenienced, there should be something in it for you. Since you are happy with the compensation received, I am surely not going to thread crap - but, I would be much happier with the $200 cash (you could buy your own bottle of wine!) and two free night certs over the 5k bonus points.

Kudos to the GM/manager in charge who handled your situation flawlessly. Hilton should have that guy give a seminar!
Old Oct 20, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
If I was working at the hotel, I would have walked you too at 3 am. What hotel wouldn't walk you at 3 am, despite being a repeat VIP customer...they haven't received a phone call from you, and the hotel is sold out.

They have no idea if you're showing up or not...as the mutual fund industry makes very clear: past results do not indicate future returns!
Why have a guaranteed reservation if you have to call?

This is one of the DUMBEST responses.

Guess thats why I stay at marriott's....get $200 CASH in my pocket. Go to the MR forum and see how many people say "you shouldve called" on a reservation. Hilton is really going to the ma/pa kettles!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:34 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond

If the room is guaranteed by credit card then the room is to be held regardless of the time of arrival. If I am a no-show then I am charged for the room. The clerk, probably the bean counter, failed in his or her responsibility by not keeping the room and charging for it if the guest did not show.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by jhpark
Isn't there a rule that if a diamond is walked, they have to hand you $100 in cash?

And yes, you should get the room at your original rate. If they're going to "make it up to you" for being walked, you shouldn't have to pay a higher rate for it...
Both are quite true.

It is my understanding that Diamonds with a guaranteed room are not supposed to be walked. Period. End of Discussion. The hotel is supposed to consider those rooms as "sold", keeping the deposit money for the night in case of a no-show Diamond.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by Italy98
If the room is guaranteed by credit card then the room is to be held regardless of the time of arrival. If I am a no-show then I am charged for the room. The clerk, probably the bean counter, failed in his or her responsibility by not keeping the room and charging for it if the guest did not show.
Unfortunately, this is not the way it works. As has been mentioned before, hotels do over book constantly and bet on a percentage of no-shows. I don't even know if it is possible to make a reservation without credit card guarantee these days. Is it?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by todorovic
Unfortunately, this is not the way it works. As has been mentioned before, hotels do over book constantly and bet on a percentage of no-shows.
Does that also mean that they get paid twice for the same room (actual guest + no-show with one night-penalty)? If this is true than it is definitely not the way it should work.

Originally Posted by todorovic
I don't even know if it is possible to make a reservation without credit card guarantee these days. Is it?
Absolutely yes. If you book a flexible rate at a Hilton in Europe (ie on hilton.com) you quite often see the option to make the reservation without a credit card guarantee, however you need to check-in by 4pm (or 6pm?), otherwise they will cancel the reservation (without penalty).

Last edited by ACflyerDE; Oct 21, 2007 at 10:28 pm
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Does that also mean that they get paid twice for the same room (actual guest + no-show with one night-penalty)? If this is true than it is definitely not the way it should work).
Yes, that's exactly how it works. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, just the way it is .

Originally Posted by ACflyerDE
Absolutely yes. If you book a flexible rate at a Hilton in Europe (ie on hilton.com) you quite often see the option to make the reservation without a credit card guarantee, however you need to check-in by 4pm (or 6pm?), otherwise they will cancel the reservation (without penalty).
Wasn't aware of this. Here in US (at least booking online as I always do) I haven't run into this option. And depending on the poperty you may have to cancel as far out as 3-5 days to avoid no-show charge.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
Originally Posted by stevekoe

Kudos to the GM/manager in charge who handled your situation flawlessly. Hilton should have that guy give a seminar!
Agreed. I wish all hotels had staff who took a similar attitude to resolving customer problems!! It's probably worth writing a letter of praise to his bosses!
Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:57 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
May I suggest that your good attitude helped in this situation

Originally Posted by AusTXFlyer
...I am not completely mad at the hotel because I understand that I should have called and confirmed that I was coming in, even though I ALWAYS come in late....
No one likes to be walked. Seems that you understood and that likely made a difference in their treatment to you.

I worked in the hotel biz for over 20 years, and the incentive to please an inconvenienced guest that is understanding is so much more than if the guest is confrontational.

Not fair, but true.

You admit that even though you were delayed well past your normal midnight check-in, a call would likely have protected your room.

Congrats your great attitude and on a great end to the situation.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond; SPG Gold; MR Platinum :)
Originally Posted by AusTXFlyer
Sorry starflyer, my post wasn't very clear. What I was trying to say was that they gave my room away at 2:00 a.m. to someone else. I assume (you know how that goes) that this was someone who was not diamond, and that the hotel gave them "my" room even though I had a reservation and knowing that I was a habitually late-arriving diamond.
How do you know that the person behind the desk knew 100% that you were coming in?

I've stayed in ES for four or five months at a time, leaving every Friday and returning on Sunday but every once in a while (connecting in winter via ORD) I get a delay and come in after midnight or for a holiday weekend I switch my flights and return either Monday or Tuesday night. Without calling the hotel, they have no way of knowing that I am coming back late if I don't show up "on time." The hotel is in business to make money so they should give the room to the paying customer at the counter...

Luckily i've never been bump but I have lost my early check in room assignment on many occasion...
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:08 am

Programs: CO Plat, UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, PC RA, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by nimeta
It's probably worth writing a letter of praise to his bosses!
Already in the works.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by monsrt
How do you know that the person behind the desk knew 100% that you were coming in?

I've stayed in ES for four or five months at a time, leaving every Friday and returning on Sunday but every once in a while (connecting in winter via ORD) I get a delay and come in after midnight or for a holiday weekend I switch my flights and return either Monday or Tuesday night. Without calling the hotel, they have no way of knowing that I am coming back late if I don't show up "on time." The hotel is in business to make money so they should give the room to the paying customer at the counter...

Luckily i've never been bump but I have lost my early check in room assignment on many occasion...
The hotel would have charged me for the room if I had failed to call in and cancel, so I would expect them to reciprocate by keeping my room available in case I show up at 3:00 a.m. Like I said in my original post, I realize that calling ahead would have alleviated some of this heartache, but I feel that a guaranteed reservation should be just that.

I don't hold any ill will towards the hotel, the staff of Hilton. I think they handled the situation admirably and will continue to give them all of my business.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Congrats your great attitude and on a great end to the situation.
They are just trying to do their jobs. Just following the Golden Rule. Thanks though.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What hotel wouldn't walk you at 3 am, despite being a repeat VIP customer...
I would hope the answer is "The one where I'm a frequent guest at both the specific property and the chain, the one where they know I frequently check in late, and the one where I've already paid for my room by virtue of not canceling it prior to 6PM." That's the one that really, really shouldn't walk me. Ever.

Also, people who frequently check-in late, every week at the same hotel, are more likely than others to know the front-desk personnel. I used to check-in at the Seattle Renaissance every Tuesday night at about 11PM. Usually same front-desk clerk. Always same bartender. They got to know me... So I don't think it's unrealistic for the front-desk manager on the late shift to say "This Austin guy checking in tonight always shows up after midnight - does it every week. He's a Diamond who's been here for 3 months. Don't give his room away."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.