Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting Walked (or denied a room) - Experiences & Questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Fraser
Just got here and checked in. The girls on the front desk were stunned that I was walked and said it should never happen to a Diamond, especially when I said it was because I was a late arrival.
As someone that used to work at a hotel Front Desk, I'll note that while it is to be avoided, sometimes there's no option but to walk an elite-level frequent guest.

It will vary based on the individual hotel as well as local market conditions. But at least a couple times each year, I'd show up for work at the Front Desk to discover that 100% of our arrivals were either elite-level guests or guests of our largest corporate client. In an oversold situation, that means you'll end up relocating someone you wouldn't even consider on a "normal" night.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
A first for me....showed up at my HGI in Richmond, VA and was told I was being walked to the Hyatt Place across the way. Am a HH Diamond member on a prepaid revenue reservation.
You should also get a full refund for the first night.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by IcHot
Just for clarification, what is being called proprietary here? The treatment of a walked diamond isn't secret information. Are you really referring to the copying and pasting of brand standards that is disallowed?
Yeah, especially when the documents are literally available to the public from Hilton's website as the top result of a simple web search...
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Had to run things by and source it from the GM and will get back to me.
How'd things wind up? What did the GM have to say?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by missamo80
Yeah, especially when the documents are literally available to the public from Hilton's website as the top result of a simple web search...
For the walk policy, not so in Hilton's case (but it is so in Marriott's case), according to the link below; nevertheless, the link below clearly denotes Hilton's walk policy as of late 2017.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2017/12/27/...-compensation/

Given that Hilton hasn't cease-and-desisted the website by now, I'm guessing this "proprietary" info is fine and dandy for public viewing on the internets.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Is that you thinking it should be that way, because that's the first mention of it, including the (now deleted) HGI brand standards manual.

Saw the same girl on the front desk when I got in just now. She said a Visa prepaid card would be ready for me tomorrow evening and she'd text the GM who is still nowhere to be seen.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
So as an end to the tale I got the Visa gift card last night in a "Hello" Hilton branded envelope. Was at the front desk for me to collect and included a handwritten note from "Management" apologizing for the inconvenience.

I'm sure it's not quite how Hilton brand standards want the situation handled but for the minor inconvenience the $200 is more than welcome.

I do note that the Points Activity section of my account show it is only a three night stay with the rate being completely wrong on my receipt (something I only just noticed). The four nights I reserved were a total of $484.92 but the three nights I was charged for were $517.78. *sigh* . Online form completed.

Last edited by Fraser; Feb 28, 2020 at 8:37 am
Old Feb 28, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I think some of these smaller properties don't walk very often and just don't know how to do it properly.

When I worked for Hyatt, we had a very clear process for walking. The front office manager always tried to schedule me on nights that we might walk because I was so good at it! The other clerks just deferred to the manager. I would send those folks over to the Embassy Suites across the street and have them thanking me for the inconvenience. I mean, a free night is a free night.

But they always got upgrades, room service amenities, and a letter from the rooms exec in the room when they returned.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
When I worked for Hyatt, we had a very clear process for walking. The front office manager always tried to schedule me on nights that we might walk because I was so good at it! The other clerks just deferred to the manager. I would send those folks over to the Embassy Suites across the street and have them thanking me for the inconvenience.
When I was a hotel Night Manager arriving for work when we were oversold, the first thing I'd do was to check who was working at the Front Desk. I was always thinking: "Please let Craig be working."

Craig was like you: a Rock Star when it came to walking. He would handle the relocation process all on his own and manage to convince the guest it wasn't a bad thing. It didn't matter if the guest was paying out of pocket or if the employer was paying. He just could make anyone content about being sent to the Crowne Plaza across the street (which wasn't nearly as nice as our hotel).

I pretty much nominated him for "Employee of the Month" every month.
hotturnip and DELee like this.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
When I was a hotel Night Manager arriving for work when we were oversold, the first thing I'd do was to check who was working at the Front Desk. I was always thinking: "Please let Craig be working."

Craig was like you: a Rock Star when it came to walking. He would handle the relocation process all on his own and manage to convince the guest it wasn't a bad thing. It didn't matter if the guest was paying out of pocket or if the employer was paying. He just could make anyone content about being sent to the Crowne Plaza across the street (which wasn't nearly as nice as our hotel).

I pretty much nominated him for "Employee of the Month" every month.
Folks like Craig are what I call "naturals". Awesome!

David
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Is that you thinking it should be that way, because that's the first mention of it, including the (now deleted) HGI brand standards manual.

I wrote that because the HH terms and conditions state so.

Member Relocation and Recovery

1. The guest must be relocated at other Hilton branded hotel if possible. The hotel must pay the full cost of the first night’s stay including any expenses incurred such as transportation and phone calls to family members and business associates.

Most bookings are not prepaid. Since your's was you should be entitled to getting a refund for the first night unless I am not comprehending correctly.

Last edited by isle-hawg; Mar 1, 2020 at 5:37 pm
Old Mar 2, 2020, 2:39 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I feel like creating several alt accounts just so I can like this more than once.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Just happened to me at the Tru in Monroe, OH.

Like an above poster, I wasnt walked, I was called by the hotel and informed they had no rooms available, were sorry, and hoped it wasnt too much of an inconvenience . They called me at 11:30pm after I called them earlier to inform them I would be checking in late and they said it was no problem

Anyways, were driving out so not much I could do now other then say okay, and I guess call back to the hotel tomorrow to talk with a manager and try and get some resolution.

I didnt feel like pushing back or trying to ask for reaccomodations as Ive had a super bad day of IRROPS flying and there were other nearby properties still available to
boom, but I feel like I get a bit of the short straw here.

Is the Best course of action just to call the hotel again tomorrow and ask, or should I have done that at the point of being called by the hotel? I didnt get a cancellation email and have no trail of events to prove what happened.

Last edited by BThumme; Oct 10, 2021 at 9:56 pm
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I would have shown up anyway and slept in their lobby.
:D!, Zurich and candgfan like this.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 1:42 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by BThumme
Just happened to me at the Tru in Monroe, OH.

Like an above poster, I wasnt walked, I was called by the hotel and informed they had no rooms available, were sorry, and hoped it wasnt too much of an inconvenience . They called me at 11:30pm after I called them earlier to inform them I would be checking in late and they said it was no problem

Anyways, were driving out so not much I could do now other then say okay, and I guess call back to the hotel tomorrow to talk with a manager and try and get some resolution.

I didnt feel like pushing back or trying to ask for reaccomodations as Ive had a super bad day of IRROPS flying and there were other nearby properties still available to
boom, but I feel like I get a bit of the short straw here.

Is the Best course of action just to call the hotel again tomorrow and ask, or should I have done that at the point of being called by the hotel? I didnt get a cancellation email and have no trail of events to prove what happened.
Sorry no recommendations but how did this problem pan out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.