Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
It's not incorrect. As I said, it is not natural spring water (please read the second paragraph that explains the difference between 温泉と人工温泉 that you linked to). Because it is not natural spring water, they add the minerals, as you said, but that doesn't negate my statement that it's not natural spring water, which doesn't require the adding of minerals because they are already contained therein, and that it's an artificial onsen.
This is the statement you made, which is the one I was mainly addressing.

but it's not natural spring water (天然水), it's artificial and provides none of the supposed healing benefits of natural onsen spring water.
1. Freshly squeezed orange juice and the kind that's most available in a store (orange juice with most of the water removed, then reconstituted with water at a later time) are both called "orange juice", and both supply the body with Vitamin C. How is this different from taking the minerals from an onsen in Hakone or whatever and adding them to water at a later date?

2. Why would naturally occurring onsen provide "supposed healing benefits", while artificially reconstituted onsen would not? Is there not a single person supposing on the benefits of adding onsen minerals to water?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:58 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
This is the statement you made, which is the one I was mainly addressing.
1. Freshly squeezed orange juice and the kind that's most available in a store (orange juice with most of the water removed, then reconstituted with water at a later time) are both called "orange juice", and both supply the body with Vitamin C. How is this different from taking the minerals from an onsen in Hakone or whatever and adding them to water at a later date?
Due to truth-in-advertising laws, reconstituted orange juice is usually not called “orange juice,” it’s called “orange juice from concentrate,” at least in the United States, and Japan has similar laws. To health purists, there is a world of difference between the two kinds of “orange juice” and many (including me) would rarely or never buy the artificial variety. Many disagree that both have the same nutritional and health value, just as many may argue that "artificial onsen" don't offer the same health benefit. Others may not care so much.
2. Why would naturally occurring onsen provide "supposed healing benefits", while artificially reconstituted onsen would not? Is there not a single person supposing on the benefits of adding onsen minerals to water?
Onsen purists might argue that you cannot reconstitute natural spring water by removing the minerals and adding tap water because you destroy the organic whole with its synergistic benefits of the natural water with its minerals and greatly reduce or even destroy its benefits. I’m of this view, therefore in my view it “provides none of the supposed healing benefits of natural onsen spring water.” I would not add mineral salts to my tap-water bath because I don’t perceive the benefit. Others may disagree, but this is not the forum to debate this.

It’s time to get back on topic.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I accept your concession.

Hilton Odawara's onsen is perfectly adequate.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Yes, but is it a real onsen or just a hot water bath? Given that it's in Shinjuku, I'd guess the latter.
The latter, just like at Park Hyatt (as fancy as it is).
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:33 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Quite a few Japanese hotels, even small business hotels, have sento (hot baths that use tap water, not natural spring water). There are hot spring sources in Tokyo, but they are fewer in number than in places like Nikko, Beppu, and other onsen-rich areas. Though I agree, it seems a bit tacky at a top hotel like the PH Tokyo. Actually, the Hilton Seahawk in Fukuoka also has a sento.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 13, 2020 at 1:40 am Reason: Add information
Old Dec 13, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Park Hyatt is not even a jinko onsen. It's just a really, really nice bath.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: Avios
Best choice between the Conrad Tokyo or Conrad Osaka

If you had to choose between these which one would you choose?? My daughter has enough points (380k) for a five night stay at either one .She will be in Tokyo for 5 days and Osaka for 5 days, She will use IHG points for the other 5 days in Japan.It will be her first trip to Japan.
Old May 29, 2021, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Tilto007
If you had to choose between these which one would you choose?? My daughter has enough points (380k) for a five night stay at either one .She will be in Tokyo for 5 days and Osaka for 5 days, She will use IHG points for the other 5 days in Japan.It will be her first trip to Japan.

Hi,

Ooh that is a tough one.

Both are very good hotels and found that tokyo impressed more on a first impression but osaka is worth exploring.

I would probably go for conrad osaka for its lobby and bathroom views but the bay/garden views from conrad tokyo are great.

I could and have spent 10 days in a row in tokyo esp with tokyo disney. In osaka I would do a day trip to Kyoto although it would be worth st least one night in Kyoto but she can always come back to japan as you will not be able to see everything in just one trip
I am on a mobile so cannot type as much easily

Reyards

Tbs
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Tough one but having stayed in both, I would go for Osaka again. The lobby is stunning, rooms are great. Bit different vibe to Tokyo and Osaka is a great place to explore.

Can't really go wrong with either, though.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Definitely Conrad Osaka! I stay in both in 2019 and early 2020 (in the Tokyo one twice) and loved the Conrad Osaka and Osaka itself. The Tokyo one was nice but I just loved Osaka Conrad.

No hesitation!

aks120
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Personally, I would choose neither.

I have never been to either hotels. In fact, I have never visited Japan. But FWIW - if I was a first-time visitor, I would focus on visiting as many attractions as possible, rather than choosing a nice hotel (You are not exactly in Japan for the hotel). A decent hotel would be fine, as I would not be in the hotel for most of the time.

But that's just me.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:41 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Ooh that is a tough one.

Both are very good hotels and found that tokyo impressed more on a first impression but osaka is worth exploring.

I would probably go for conrad osaka for its lobby and bathroom views but the bay/garden views from conrad tokyo are great.

I could and have spent 10 days in a row in tokyo esp with tokyo disney. In osaka I would do a day trip to Kyoto although it would be worth st least one night in Kyoto but she can always come back to japan as you will not be able to see everything in just one trip
I am on a mobile so cannot type as much easily

Reyards

Tbs

Thanks for the advice.She actually will be one day in Kyoto at the new Roku LXR on a weekend certificate .I am pretty sure she will also do a day trip to Kyoto from Osaka also.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 5:50 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I would suggest to think about location as another poster suggested as well. As an experienced Japan visitor, I'd have no gripes with either Conrad, but Tokyo is not smack in the center of tourist attractions.

I would suggest Conrad Tokyo though for a simple reason and that is that the OP said the rest of the stay will be "financed" using IHG points and the IC Osaka is just an excellent property (a notch above the Tokyo ICs, haven't tried the Kimpton near Park Hyatt) so assuming reward nights are available this could make an excellent combo. YMMV.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Personally, I would choose neither.

I have never been to either hotels. In fact, I have never visited Japan. But FWIW - if I was a first-time visitor, I would focus on visiting as many attractions as possible, rather than choosing a nice hotel (You are not exactly in Japan for the hotel). A decent hotel would be fine, as I would not be in the hotel for most of the time.

But that's just me.
An execellent concierge at an excellent hotel can make an excellent stay even more excellent.

Per the original question, Conrad Osaka is very pretty, but if I would choose one I would choose Conrad Tokyo in a heartbeat. There's just more to Tokyo, and more to Conrad Tokyo.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
An execellent concierge at an excellent hotel can make an excellent stay even more excellent.
Such an excellent concierge needs not to be from the hotel. AMEX does have some excellent concierge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.