Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Japan {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hailstorm
By that logic, why wouldn't you also say "Osaka will likely be the Hyatt Regency simply bc it is so cheap on points"?
Not a suitable comparison IMHO. Cheap or not, while the HR Tokyo isn't my favorite hotel the property is still miles better than HR Osaka which is way out in the boonies and basically a disaster unless you like to live like an outcast. HR Shinjuku is a great location with shuttle service until 10pm and walking distance to Shinjuku Station. Ymmv
lowfareair likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Not a suitable comparison IMHO. Cheap or not, while the HR Tokyo isn't my favorite hotel the property is still miles better than HR Osaka which is way out in the boonies and basically a disaster unless you like to live like an outcast. HR Shinjuku is a great location with shuttle service until 10pm and walking distance to Shinjuku Station. Ymmv
Exactly - the HR Tokyo has a great location (and right across from the Hilton Tokyo). The HR Osaka looked great when I saw a Cat 2 in Japan, then I saw where it was and immediately crossed it off the list.

I'll stay on points when it is worth it, but convenience on a vacation is a major part of determining worth.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
You may like to check out the Hilton Odawara - easily accessible from Tokyo by local trains. Lots of nice walks nearby. The hotel also has a lounge with fairly meagre offerings.
I saw that one and the thought that popped into my head was 'what would I do there?' It seems like a typical Western resort with not a lot to do off the property (besides walking as you mentioned).
Old Dec 10, 2020, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
My bad for taking the words "simply bc it is so cheap on points" at face value. Though I personally prefer HRO...it's closer to a train station than HRT, so the location has never bothered me. Food is better, view is better, lounge is better, free bicycle rental...hell of a deal at Cat 2.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I saw that one and the thought that popped into my head was 'what would I do there?' It seems like a typical Western resort with not a lot to do off the property (besides walking as you mentioned).
If I remember correctly, the Hilton Odawara also has an onsen on-site, so that's one attraction, if you're into that.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Exactly - the HR Tokyo has a great location (and right across from the Hilton Tokyo). The HR Osaka looked great when I saw a Cat 2 in Japan, then I saw where it was and immediately crossed it off the list.

I'll stay on points when it is worth it, but convenience on a vacation is a major part of determining worth.
If you're on vacation and traveling around Japan, the HR Osaka is convenient because there is a ferry boat a short walk away from the hotel that can take you to Tokyo and Kyushu (I think Beppu, Oita City, Kitakyushu and Kagoshima). You need reservations, but you can also take your car on the ferry and even reserve a private room. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355.html

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 11, 2020 at 3:31 am
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
If you're on vacation and traveling around Japan, the HR Osaka is convenient because there is a ferry boat a short walk away from the hotel that can take you to Tokyo and Kyushu (I think Beppu, Oita City, Kitakyushu and Kagoshima). You need reservations, but you can also take your car on the ferry and even reserve a private room. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355.html
I didn't see anything on that site that said that you could travel between Osaka and Tokyo by ferry. The only ferry servicing Tokyo stops at Tokushima and Kita Kyushu.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:57 am

I didn't see anything on that site that said that you could travel between Osaka and Tokyo by ferry. The only ferry servicing Tokyo stops at Tokushima and Kita Kyushu.
My mistake. About a year ago, I took the ferry from Kitakyushu to Tokyo (it's an overnight trip), which stops in Tokushima, for some reason I thought that it also stopped in Osaka, but my memory is incorrect. Anyway, you can take the ferry from Osaka (the boarding pier is very close to the HR Osaka) to the locations in Kyushu that I mentioned and there is also a ferry to Shanghai from Osaka, but I don't know if it departs from the same pier.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
If I remember correctly, the Hilton Odawara also has an onsen on-site, so that's one attraction, if you're into that.
What kind of Onsen? Even the APA Hotel Nishi Shinjuku Gochome down the road from Hilton Tokyo has an onsen (pretty decent actually).
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of Onsen?
A perfectly adequate onsen.

skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 4:44 am

What kind of Onsen? Even the APA Hotel Nishi Shinjuku Gochome down the road from Hilton Tokyo has an onsen (pretty decent actually).
Yes, but is it a real onsen or just a hot water bath? Given that it's in Shinjuku, I'd guess the latter.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but is it a real onsen or just a hot water bath?
It's a "jinkoonsen"

https://www.apahotel.com/hotel/shuto...njukugyoenmae/

So...a hybrid?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:11 pm

Wink

It says "artificial onsen"(人工温泉) , so it can't be real. In other words, it's designed to look like a traditional onsen, but it's not natural spring water (天然水), it's artificial and provides none of the supposed healing benefits of natural onsen spring water.
If you don't care about that, then you can enjoy it, but it has as much health benefit as taking a hot bath at home.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 12, 2020 at 7:21 pm Reason: Add information
Old Dec 12, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It says "artificial onsen"(人工温泉) , so it can't be real. In other words, it's designed to look like a traditional onsen, but it's not natural spring water (天然水), it's artificial and provides none of the supposed healing benefits of natural onsen spring water.
Incorrect.

温泉大辞典

They "artificially" put in all the minerals and such that would natually appear in a "real" onsen. Much like putting Bath Roman in your bathtub at home.

The health benefits of either is debatable...but the layman probably wouldn't feel a difference.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 8:05 pm

Incorrect.

温泉大辞典

They "artificially" put in all the minerals and such that would natually appear in a "real" onsen. Much like putting Bath Roman in your bathtub at home.

The health benefits of either is debatable...but the layman probably wouldn't feel a difference.
It's not incorrect. As I said, it is not natural spring water (please read the second paragraph that explains the difference between 温泉と人工温泉 that you linked to). Because it is not natural spring water, they add the minerals, as you said, but that doesn't negate my statement that it's not natural spring water, which doesn't require the adding of minerals because they are already contained therein, and that it's an artificial onsen. I don't go to those, natural onsen are cheap enough as it is that there is little reason to go to an artificial one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.