Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Frankfurt Airport, Germany {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Frankfurt Airport, Germany {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.5MM
Originally Posted by gonezen
It appears both are convenient to Term 1 and I will be arriving on UA from ORD with pretty much a full day layover. I've been to Frankfurt city and need the respite more than a field trip. The price difference is small, the Hilton being about 10 euros cheaper than GI.
The Hilton is the *cheaper* one? Then it's definitely the one to go with. Usually the GI is cheaper.

They're both right next to each other (so both equally convenient, though there's a bit of a walk).

I like the Hilton more since it has a huge executive lounge that's typically empty except for me (and the nice German attendant asking if there's anything he/she can do for me).
Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:55 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Anyone stumbling upon this thread, as I just did, is likely to benefit more from the older and longer thread on the two FRA properties here and possibly also the FRA HGI review thread here.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:09 am
IMH

We returned to the HGI for a night (23.12.) and weren't very happy.

After checking in and dropping our bags we went to eat. By the time we returned to our room a burst or leaking water pipe somewhere on 'our' side of the building had caused the hotel to cut off the water supply to a number of rooms -- but we only found this out after changing into nightwear and heading to the bathroom for final ablutions. A room change was quickly arranged, although we had to collect the new keycard from reception. On reaching our new room we found a message that should have been delivered to the old room telling us we needed to change rooms "because of window cleaning". Hey ho.

At check out we were not asked how our stay had been. That seems to be a pattern here.

A week later (31.12.) we had our first stay in the FRA Hilton and found it to be significantly better. We only paid 20 EUR more than the HGI was asking. That would have been worth it for the larger and better appointed room alone, evening lounge use and breakfast were a bonus. Definitely a big step up from the Sheraton, previously our FRA airport of choice, as well as from the HGI, and far more convenient that Steigenberger, InterCity etc.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know what the hours are of the executive lounge here and what the offerings are? The Sheraton FRA has a lovely executive lounge with quite a bit of drinks and snacks on offer...just wondering if Hilton offered a similar spread in the morning and evening hours.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:22 am

What are the options (other than walking) to get from the Hilton to the terminals? Shuttle, hotel car, taxi?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:42 am
IMH

Originally Posted by rolltide2
What are the options (other than walking) to get from the Hilton to the terminals? Shuttle, hotel car, taxi?
Taxi. I checked this with the hotel because an elderly relative is going to need to get from the Hilton to the FCT (which would involve walking outside) in winter.

I wouldn't recommend a taxi to anyone heading for one of the main terminals. If the person travelling has limited mobility then I'd investigate getting wheelchair or other assistance before deciding on a taxi.

It may also be relevant to note that if you're leaving FRA on a flight operated by Lufthansa (or one of a long list of partner airlines) you can check baggage at the AIRail counters, located at the railway/Hilton end of the covered footbridge to the terminals.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:59 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I agree with IMH. If you are catching a flight from FRA (either T1 or T2), the chances are you might have to walk longer once in the terminal (i.e. from where a taxi drops you) than the distance between the Hilton/HGI and the terminal. Anyone with limited mobility might wish to investigate options other than a taxi.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:07 pm

We'll be going to the FCT, so I didn't want to walk to T1 then follow directions to FCT. Taxi may work for us. Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:24 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

We'll be going to the FCT, so I didn't want to walk to T1 then follow directions to FCT. Taxi may work for us. Thanks!
You had better tip the taxi driver generously.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:40 pm
IMH

We'll be going to the FCT, so I didn't want to walk to T1 then follow directions to FCT.
You will need to ask the hotel front desk to call a taxi. You will then need to take the lift down (to either ground level or to an underground car park level -- I'm not sure). The taxi will then need to drive quite a loop to get to the FCT.

If two people with similar mobility/fitness were in the Hilton lobby and wanted to get to the FCT as easily and quickly as possible, I would back the person leaving on foot (NewbieRunner or IMH) to get there before the person (rolltide2) asking a receptionist to call a taxi.

As stated above, if mobility is an issue or it's pouring with rain, consider getting a taxi. Otherwise just walk.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
You had better tip the taxi driver generously.
Very generously.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:50 pm

I always do. BTW, I just realized you're the one with the fantastic walking directions (complete with photos) from T1 and T2 to the FCT. They're very helpful for walking to the FCT when we land in FRA. Thanks for taking the time and effort to prepare that. Any chance you have equally wonderful directions for walking from the Hilton to the FCT without going to T1 first?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:52 pm

Ha, IMH. You type faster than I do!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:56 pm

Any chance you have equally wonderful directions for walking from the Hilton to the FCT without going to T1 first?
No, because you can't really walk from the Hilton to the FCT without going to T1 first. Well, strictly speaking you can but going through T1 avoids having to cross the road and allows you to stay under cover most of the way. I do, however, have some photo of the footbridge between the Hilton/railway station and T1.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by IMH
Very generously.
I always do.
I've heard €20 mentioned some years ago but that was from T1. The going rate may be higher from the Hilton as it's quite a detour.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I had 3 stays there last year.

First time took me ages to get to Hotel.

I had a bad knee anyway, and that really aggravated it pushing a trolley - indeed as I recall carts were not permitted for entire journey?

So on second visit I hailed a cab from baggage area and said "Hilton Airport please".

Driver looked surprised and pointed to the Hotel behind the terminals. I said "yes, that one please".

There is no fast way to get in it seems .. he needed to drive past and then U turn to get to hotel door. Whatever it cost was money well spent to me!

===============

Our 3 visits there were pretty underwhelming to be honest.

This is what I wrote to the General Manager

=============

Frankfurt Hilton

Charles Muller, GM Frankfurt Airport Hilton

Not happy Herr Muller

I am a Hilton Diamond, and checked in at 2040hrs August 2.

After forty (40) hours of flying Sydney-Bangkok-Milan-FRA, and no hotel in that time.

A lonnnnnnnnng day and no hotel. We were tired, and we really wanted some comfort. Which is WHY we book Hilton.

A nice room, a glass of wine in the lounge, and a long sleep.

We were really tired and irritable, and moving 2 heavy bags each, plus carry-ons and computer bags from baggage carousel to your Hotel, via THREE (3) escalators, and lots of walking that do not allow trolleys, really had us arrive totally exhausted. Like many of your guests I feel sure.

The Hilton must be a MILE walk from baggage claim. We got lost, got given wrong directions, could not use carts, and were really drained when we finally found Hilton.

I am a Starwood Platinum and if I knew that Sheraton hotel was far closer to Terminal 1, I would have booked that. Airport Sheratons are good – the one in Charles De Gaulle is superb, and we always book it.

They offer driver for a small fee to meet you at baggage area, and drive you to door despite them being IN the airport - as you are.

We get to check in, and a young girl tells me I have been ‘upgraded’. Great. I tell her of our huge travel ‘day’ and she does not seem very interested.

I ask her if lounge is still open so we can go up, have a glass of wine and a light snack, and go to sleep, as we were flying to Malta early today.

She phoned lounge, told them we were Diamond members, and says she was told if we want a wine we must pay for it, or we can go to the bar if we prefer. There was no-one else at check-in – she could have tried harder.

I could not have believed it – the hotel is nearly EMPTY due to holidays, and 2 Diamond members cannot get offered a single glass of wine?!

Crazy. Go to room 10111 annoyed to find a tiny room, and a bottle of water free. Great.

Thanks so much. A perfect “Welcome to Hilton” after 40 hours on planes.

If this was an “upgraded” room, the mind boggles at what a “basic” room is in your new hotel.

The air conditioning was far too hot even on lowest setting, and I see this comment already on TripAdvisor.

The ‘hot’ water from showers at night and morning was hardly working – was near cold for both of us. Unacceptable even for a $40 roadside motel.

No newspaper in morning and no request if we wanted one.

Sorry Herr Muller, for a brand new Hilton this is just not good enough.

I am a Diamond and Hilton MOSTLY looks after me with nice rooms, ESPECIALLY in a near empty hotel, as yours was last night.

Sadly we have already booked Hilton Frankfurt 2 more times in the next weeks or otherwise I’d probably forget it, and book Sheraton instead.

Design of your rooms is silly – bathrooms are FAR too large for the room size, and I could remove 5 square metres easily if I were designer, and add it to the room area.

No small airport room needs bath AND a shower – crazy waste of space. 2 huge deep wardrobes are a ridiculous waste of space for an airport hotel. One only could be by the door, and allow living area to be FAR greater.

Two persons in this tiny room area is very cramped. Just bad design – not your personal design I know, but you need to live with it – ad all future managers!

To have a lovely view of woodland and trees, but no DOOR to access it from room with a cup of coffee, is insane. Costs nothing extra to have a door there, and right now you cannot even open the windows an inch – they are bolted closed.

I have no idea how big the rooms were at the lower level ‘Garden Inn’ in same location, but they could NOT have been smaller!

Diamond members usually mean something SPECIAL to new Hiltons, and at Frankfurt airport I did not have the feeling we really got any different treatment than a non HHonors member really.

Refusing us a wine because we took 20 minutes to find the hotel, after walking for a mile, and the bar had just closed exactly at 2030 hours is insane, when the lounge was near empty.

I suggest one day when you are very tired that as an experiment you take 2 heavy large suitcases, a computer bag and 2 duty free bags.

Go down to International baggage claim by car, and walk back to your own hotel. You will get a surprise how hard that is to do, how long it takes, and how hot you are.

You cannot use carts, and for a new arrival at airport, no lifts or cabs seem possible – just a mile of walking. EXACTLY as many of your guests do every day.

And see how YOU feel, when a young girl says you can’t have a wine or beer after it all. 

I hope some changes can be made - or bad reviews like this above that I have written, will possibly hurt the Hotel due to strong google matches to TripAdvisor – many will book once, and never return, or use the Sheraton etc.

Diamond members should surely not need to spend an hour writing letters like this about new Hiltons, in such an important city?

The overall quality finish is there for sure .. just a little more attention to the details and fine tuning, might be useful to ask staff to do in future?

We had a stay a few days later and WERE given a very nice room that time. The lounge area we did get to by closing time and is very nice and was very deserted. Hence being more annoyed at Day 1 treatment

Then another stay 3 days after that, and got same room as stay one. Inconsistent. Even spoke to duty Manager on that, who did not budge.

Very sad.

=============

Christiane K, Executive Office at Hilton Frankfurt Airport Hotel, responded

Dear ozstamps,

Thank you very much for posting a review about your recent stays at our hotel on Tripadvisor in addition to your e-mail sent to us on 3rd August 2012.

As stated in our e-mail reply to you in August 2012, we are truly sorry that you experienced difficulties finding your way to the hotel, and the elevators, from the airport. Luggage carts are available at the airport upon arrival.

Due to the hotel’s (convenient) location and sound-proofing of the building, as well as due to environmental and safety considerations, the guestroom windows can indeed not be opened. Balconies, or outside terraces, are not available for these reasons.

Ozstamps, please be assured that the satisfaction of our guests is of utmost importance to us, therefore I would like to apologize that you did not feel valued during your stay. I can assure you that comments like these are very rare exceptions at our hotel indeed.

We truly appreciate your comments on the Executive Lounge opening times and the layout of our guestrooms. We apologize for the technical challenges you indicated, these have been addressed immediately after receiving your e-mail in August.

Ozstamps, thank you once again for sharing your comments once more, we are looking forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip.

Best regards,

Christiane K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.