Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Frankfurt Airport, Germany {DEU}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Frankfurt Airport, Germany {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 1:21 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
WiFi is free everywhere in the Hilton Family for Diamonds.
Also for Golds.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Mini review of the Frankfurt Airport Hilton:

This was my first stay at the Frankfurt Airport Hilton and I'd say it was my last one too.

The first problem was locating the hotel, coming from the long distance train station no signs indicated the way to the hotel. Only halfway to T1 I realised that I had to walk back. The hotel is located over a glum looking drugstore via an escalator. Once finally on the right floor the Hilton is straight ahead and the Hilton Garden Inn to the left. First impressions were the Hilton looked dull and drab while the Hilton Garden Inn at least has some splashes of colour.

Once I entered the building I was struck how exceedingly dull the Hilton was, no flowers, no scents, no music, no flourishes at all, just a pure brutalist functional box to house you for the night. I wonder if the GM has ever been in an comparable Asian hotel. No sense of arrival or welcome.

The receptionist appeared to have some difficulties with English which was a bit strange. When I asked about the WiFi access he told me it was €19 for 24h (US$24). Highway robbery and totally unacceptable.

The room on the seventh floor was small and a sea of beige, whoever designed this hotel must hate colour. It was a functional room, though the desk chair could not be adjusted and was far too low to work comfortably. A nice touch was a decent selection of HD TV stations. The room did not smell fresh at all, lots of stale air.

The bed was standard Hilton mediocre fare with one difference: the bed linen had holes in part and did not look clean to me. In fact in at least two places were stains, some hairs, and it was far from crisply ironed. This was totally unacceptable.

The air-condition is NOT WORKING in this Hilton so be prepared to have an uncomfortable night. As with most airport hotels, windows can't be opened either. Despite the aircon being set at full speed and the lowest setting it never managed to cool the room adequately. What it does do however is making a very annoying humming and rattling noise, that it does well.

The bathroom was clean (and at least the one bright spot).

Minibar prices were extortionate and no information was provided about in room dinning. When I called guest services they did not understand “cork screw” when I asked for one. Instead I got a bottle opener. However after explaining it again they managed to “loan” me one for two minutes. 2 small water bottles were delivered to the room for free.

Check out was quick enough (in a darkened lobby at 6 am, not sure why they can't have lights on).

In summary:

Pros:

-location (if you can find it)
-good price when on promotion (I got the Great Getaway rate)

Cons:
-ugly building and rooms
-low service levels and devoid of any enthusiasm from staff
-lack of cleanliness
-nickel and diming guests for WiFi
-aircon not working and noisy

It is a shame that Hilton provide such a mediocre offering. The competing Sheraton for years managed to get away with poor rooms and high prices and I had high hopes that Hilton would steal the march on them but my experience has shown that Hilton also adopted the location convenience only approach: guest will come because they have to, not because they want to.

Next time I'll try the Hilton Garden Inn, at least the WiFi is free there and friends tell me you get a better view too.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by starflyergold
The first problem was locating the hotel, coming from the long distance train station no signs indicated the way to the hotel.
Yes, insufficient (and too small) signs pointing towards both Hilton hotels are definitely a problem there, in airport as well. In fact all this huge Squaire building is built directly on top of long distance train station, so after coming out of train you just needed to take elevator up to Level 3 and then another elevator (or escalator) to Level 5 where entrances of both hotels are located. It's all very simple and easy when you already have been there but quite complex for first-time newcomer, as I remember from my own experience

Once I entered the building I was struck how exceedingly dull the Hilton was, no flowers, no scents, no music, no flourishes at all, just a pure brutalist functional box to house you for the night.
They have also some art elements there... but certainly it's mostly functional. I like it. What did you expect from an airport hotel in a building which is intentionally in a constructivism style? Yep, no pink elephants there (yet)

It was a functional room, though the desk chair could not be adjusted and was far too low to work comfortably.
I don't know if these chairs are the same as on Executive floors, but they definitely are adjustable anyway. Just ask housekeeping and they will show you how. For example, on Exec floors they have nice office chairs with different control elements to adjust them; the key knowledge is to find small plastic instruction sheet which comes out like a micro-drawer from right side of seat. Again, very easy if you already know where it should be located, this recursivity is common for all this place

In general, I would say that most of your room problems might be easily solved by calling housekeeping (or manager). I have stayed at this hotel 6 times this year (and 5 times in HGI next door), probably will have some more stays. But, understandably, my experience as Diamond member might differ from yours. For example Internet access is free for Diamonds.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Stayed here at Frankfurt Airport Hilton 3 separate times in the past fortnight as a Diamond.

I stress this was all August - a REALLY quiet time for Germany as most business is on holiday.

Lobby, bar, and lounge VERY quiet all times, so full hotel not an issue for any stay. And I fully understand upgrades are far harder in full Hotels.

First stay was a small sized “Executive” room “upgrade” which looked exactly like any other g Hilton room to me.

Contacted Manager after checking out, and to his credit were upgraded to a lovely corner suite for next visit. (Mainly due to lounge issue below I suspect.)

For third visit got given the same room as stay one. Huh?

Desk called out Duty Manager then, who had greeted me for visit 2 and I mentioned to her this new key was for exactly the same room as stay 1, so weren’t we now right back where we started?

In the charming manner German women executives have, she basically replied “well Sir, that is the best we can do’. When I replied the Hotel looked empty, and it was now 7pm she repeated herself. (There were 3 persons up in the Lounge, and not another soul in lobby, so I rest my case.)

Agree the weirdly named (it is not square in any way!) “SQUARIE” complex of what this Hotel is a small part of, is all sleek metal and glass and modernism, and not sure Hilton can be blamed for that! "Sterile" is a good word to use.

Rooms were clean and modern – the bathroom absurdly oversized compared to the square metreage of room. I could design EACH bathroom (identical in Suites as Exec rooms it seemed to me) to be about 5 square metres smaller, and that huge amount of space could be used in living space.

Sadly it is all built now, so that will never occur. Absurd design fault really. Something current Management can’t do anything much about.

Stay one set the tone. After forty (40) hours of flying Sydney-Bangkok-Milan-FRA, and no hotel in that time.

A lonnnnnnnnng day and no hotel. We were tired, and we really wanted some comfort. Which is WHY we book Hilton.

Looked forward to a nice room, a glass of wine in the lounge, and a long deep sleep.

We were really tired and irritable, after moving 2 heavy bags each, plus carry-ons duty free, and computer bags from baggage carousel to the Hotel, via THREE (3) escalators, and lots of walking that do not allow trolleys, really had us arrive totally exhausted.

Like many of their guests I feel sure.

As signage to it is NOT good, as several posters above have pointed out.

The Hilton must be a MILE walk from baggage claim. We got lost, got given wrong directions, could not use carts, and were really drained when we finally found Hilton at about 8.15pm.

I am a Starwood Elite, and if I knew that Sheraton hotel was far closer to Terminal 1, would have booked that. Airport Sheratons are good – the one in Charles De Gaulle is superb, and we always book it.

They offer driver for a small fee to meet you at baggage area, and drive you to door despite them being IN the airport - as this is.

We get to check in, and a young girl tells me I have been ‘upgraded’. Great. I tell her of our huge travel ‘day’ and she does not seem very interested at all.

I ask her if lounge is still open so we can go up, have a glass of wine and a light snack, and go to sleep, as we were flying to Malta early next day.

She phoned lounge, told them we were Diamond members just arrived from Sydney, and says she was told if we want a wine we must pay for it up there, as it is just 8.30pm and they are locking down drinks, or we can go to the bar if we prefer. There was no-one else at check-in – she could have tried a bit harder.

I could not believe it – the hotel is nearly EMPTY due to holidays, and 2 Diamond members cannot get offered a single glass of 3 Euro a bottle domestic wine – all because the hotel is too hard to find, and we ONE minute too late?!

Crazy. Go to room 10111 annoyed to find a pretty tiny "upgraded" room, and a bottle of water free. Great.

Thanks so much. A perfect “Welcome to Frankfurt Airport Hilton” after 40 hours on planes.

If this was an “upgraded” room, the mind boggles at what a “basic” room is in the new hotel.

The air conditioning was far too hot even on lowest setting, and I see this comment already here and elsewhere. (They emailed me later to ‘assure’ me that had been fixed.)

The ‘hot’ water from showers at night and morning was hardly working – was near cold for both of us. Unacceptable even for a $40 roadside motel. (They emailed me later to ‘assure’ me that had been fixed.)

No newspaper in morning, and no request if we wanted one.

For a brand new Hilton this is just not good enough.

We flew from there to the Hilton Malta for 4 nights, where we were given an upgraded large corner suite with balcony and water views. Nice. And a chilled bottle of wine in an ice bucket.

And a personal note from the General manager, not the front desk staffer, as we got in FRA.

And the duty manager coming out to see us, and welcome us in person.

The difference in two Hilton stays in 2 days could not be more dramatic.

Design of their rooms is silly – bathrooms are FAR too large for the room size, and I could remove 5 square metres easily if I were designer, and add it to the room area.

No smallish airport room needs bath AND a shower cubicle – a crazy waste of space. 2 huge deep wardrobes are also a ridiculous waste of space for an airport hotel. One only could be by the door, and allow living area to be FAR greater.

Two persons in this tiny room area is very cramped. Just bad, bad design.

To have a lovely view of woodland and trees, but no DOOR to access it from room with a cup of coffee, is insane.

Costs nothing extra to have a door there, and right now you cannot even open the windows an inch – they are bolted closed.

I have no idea how big the rooms were at the lower level ‘Garden Inn’ in same location, but they could NOT have been smaller!

Diamond members usually mean something SPECIAL to new Hiltons, and at Frankfurt airport I did not have the feeling we really got any different treatment than a non HHonors member really.

Refusing us a wine because we took 20 minutes to find the hotel, after walking for a mile, and the bar had just closed exactly at 2030 hours is insane, when the lounge was near empty.

Indeed at next stay days later booze and food stayed open til 8.45pm making nonsense on stay #1 even more rude.

I suggested to the manager in a note one day when he is very tired that as an experiment, he takes 2 heavy large suitcases, a computer bag and 2 duty free bags.

Go down to International baggage claim by taxi, and walk back to his own hotel. He will get a surprise how hard that is to do, how long it takes, and how hot you are.

You cannot use carts, and for a new arrival at airport, no lifts seem possible – just a mile of walking. EXACTLY as many of his guests do every day.

And see how HE feels, when a young girl says you can’t have a wine or beer after it all. 

The overall quality finish is there for sure .. just a little more attention to the details and fine tuning, might be useful for him to ask staff to do in future.

Second visit had a nice Suite, mainly as an apology for being refused a drink at 8.30pm on stay 1. Stay 3 back to same room as Stay #1. Germanic 'logic'.

The only real PLUS …. And they do not tell you of this oddly, is that just outside their hotel walking back to Terminals, there is a LUFTHANSA RAIL check-in desk.

They were happy to check us to Malta on time 1, and to Rome to Bangkok and Sydney on time 2 - on Thai Air. Seems like for a lot of airlines you can drop off bags there, and get boarding passes.

Saves a TON of walking with heavy bags to Terminals.

For stay 2 I was so peeved with all the getting lost from stay #1, and schlepping of luggage, I took bag off carousel, hopped a cab, and said “Hilton Airport Hotel please”. Driver looked at me like I was from Planet Mars and pointed to it in the background. Anyway the best 7 Euro I spent in Germany.

The "bones" are there, but more fine tuning seems needed on customer service. From duty manager lady down.

Had we booked at 200 or 250 Euro a night, and been treated like on stay one or 3 it would have made me really peeved. We got a sale rate on Hilton.com, but that is not the point.

Last edited by ozstamps; Aug 16, 2012 at 7:12 am
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
The Hilton must be a MILE walk from baggage claim. We got lost, got given wrong directions, could not use carts, and were really drained when we finally found Hilton at about 8.15pm.
I have stayed in both the Hilton and HGI. Based on my experience (note I am not a Diamond and therefore the amenities associated with this status, or lack thereof have no relevance for me), the Hilton needs to be at a significant discount to the HGI to justify staying there. While the rooms are slightly larger (and the bathrooms significantly so), the nickel and diming approach of the Hilton, e.g. no free Wifi, makes the HGI the better choice.

Regarding carts, I am not sure why you couldn't use them. I use a cart all the way from baggage claim to the last escalator before you reach the hotel, by taking the cart on the escalators in the airport up to the mezzanine above the ticketing and check-in hall, following the directions to the long-distance train station and then abandoning the cart at the last escalator, which has a bar to prevent you from taking the cart the last segment. I presume that if I looked hard enough there is an elevator which would let me take the cart all the way to the hotel.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?

I am not a Diamond and therefore the amenities associated with this status, or lack thereof have no relevance for me

<snip>

the nickel and diming approach of the Hilton, e.g. no free Wifi
Um there is a major disconnect AND relevance right here.

Even HH Golds get free Wifi at all Hiltons, and Gold is easy to get.

With ANY Hotel or Airline status comes benefits. Agree?

You state you are a Lufthansa Senator. I was sitting in the Senator Lounge at Frankfurt this week as I am a 1K, and they are very nice. But 95% of the plane do not get in there - correct?

Airlines elites get to check bags free, and award and same day change fees are waived. We both know that.

Are LH 'nickel and diming" for charging once a year flyers for things you get free?

I bet you do not agree.

Get to HH Gold, and suddenly the Wifi thing is not an issue. @:-)
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Regarding carts, I am not sure why you couldn't use them. I use a cart all the way from baggage claim to the last escalator before you reach the hotel, [...] I presume that if I looked hard enough there is an elevator which would let me take the cart all the way to the hotel.
Yes, there is an elevator also near the "last escalator" on the way to hotel entrances (that is, between Level 3 and Level 5). It's located to the left from this escalator when looking from Level 3 (e.g. from Starbucks). You can use the same elevator when coming to the Squaire building by a taxi, it's right near the external "Hilton entrance" on Level 3 where taxis deliver their passengers going to Hilton or HGI FRA.

There are elevators near every escalator in Frankfurt Airport and Squaire building, just look a bit around. The only place where carts are not allowed is SkyTrain between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 but you can get another cart when arriving to T1 (if coming from T2) and vice versa.

Hilton really should make some virtual tours available on websites of both Hilton hotels at FRA showing how to reach them easily from Long distance trains, Airport T2 and T1. Lack of information causes unnecessary difficulties and stress for potential guests.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Um there is a major disconnect AND relevance right here.

Even HH Golds get free Wifi at all Hiltons, and Gold is easy to get.

With ANY Hotel or Airline status comes benefits. Agree?

You state you are a Lufthansa Senator. I was sitting in the Senator Lounge at Frankfurt this week as I am a 1K, and they are very nice. But 95% of the plane do not get in there - correct?

Airlines elites get to check bags free, and award and same day change fees are waived. We both know that.

Are LH 'nickel and diming" for charging once a year flyers for things you get free?

I bet you do not agree.

Get to HH Gold, and suddenly the Wifi thing is not an issue. @:-)
There is no disconnect. I simply do not have the opportunity to use Hilton often enough to get gold. . .and since the Hilton has a property immediately adjacent to the hotel in question which offers free wi-fi and adequate rooms, why would I pay more to stay at the Hilton which charges for a service which is important to me when I can get it for free next door?

Also, yes airlines generally are nickel and diming passengers, too. The fact that I don't face those charges as an elite doesn't change the basic fact.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As well,

The HGI and Hilton are immediately below where the Sheraton is, above the Fernbahnhof (AIRail terminal); there is a Help Point indicated to the right of the corridor leading to the HGI / Hilton. If you haven;t seen them yet, stop here and look around. Unfortunately, nobody has updated the FRA map ina long time.

But you can also download a SQUAIRE map PDF from here.

There is a LH checkin point down the corridor to the airport, and the corridor to the Sheraton takes you to a shuttle bus for Terminal 2.

I can see how someone might miss some of these points if they were tired after a long trip, though I have to say I have not had such a problem.

Originally Posted by hbush
Yes, there is an elevator also near the "last escalator" on the way to hotel entrances (that is, between Level 3 and Level 5). It's located to the left from this escalator when looking from Level 3 (e.g. from Starbucks). You can use the same elevator when coming to the Squaire building by a taxi, it's right near the external "Hilton entrance" on Level 3 where taxis deliver their passengers going to Hilton or HGI FRA.

There are elevators near every escalator in Frankfurt Airport and Squaire building, just look a bit around. The only place where carts are not allowed is SkyTrain between Terminal 2 and Terminal 1 but you can get another cart when arriving to T1 (if coming from T2) and vice versa.

Hilton really should make some virtual tours available on websites of both Hilton hotels at FRA showing how to reach them easily from Long distance trains, Airport T2 and T1. Lack of information causes unnecessary difficulties and stress for potential guests.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Hey this is an airport hotel, not a holiday resort.

And Germans are Germans, if the lounge is set to open at a particular time, that is when it will open, and the same applies to closing time.

If you need somewhere to stay ahead of an early-morning departure, and you have HHonors status, the FRA airport Hilton is very handy. Especially as there is that useful LH check-in area off the passageway between the rail station and the airport though sadly they won't check you in for USA flights.

OT - if you are *G you are allowed to use the LH "F" check-in, and you'd best do that for USA flights, as the "C" class check-in for the USA is a zoo in the mornings.

Now if you're not on an early flight you might prefer the Mainz Hilton (not the "Mainz City" one) - a wonderful location alongside the Rhine river. Of course it's a 50 euro cab ride but you'd recoup some of that with a lower room rate than FRA. There's also a local train to Mainz for 3 euro from the other FRA station downstairs, but it's still a mile walk or a short cab ride from Mainz station.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:56 am

I found on Tripadvisor a comment (which reflects exactly the experience I had at The Frankfurt Garden Inn): "I got ready to sleep only a few hours were left and noted the extreme noise of the AC...ok no problem it was a hot day but better sleep with no blanket but without noise....long story short I couldn't switch the AC off and that thing was so loud that I could hear it even with hearing protection....I find that for a Hilton very very disappointing."

Question: Is it likely that the neighboring Frankfurt Hilton will have the same problem? Does anyone have experience with this?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:01 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Certainly wasn't a problem for us when we stayed there in the middle of the summer. The building is so soundproof, extremely quiet it is almost sterile feeling.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA MM/Gold, Hilton Gold, Sheraton Gold
Which Hilton prop for dayroom at FRA?

Probably using a dayroom at FRA to break up the trip to CPT in March. I notice there are two Hilton props which are pretty convenient, a Hilton and a Garden Inn. Just wondering which one is most convenient and would be recommended.

It appears both are convenient to Term 1 and I will be arriving on UA from ORD with pretty much a full day layover. I've been to Frankfurt city and need the respite more than a field trip. The price difference is small, the Hilton being about 10 euros cheaper than GI. I know there's cheaper available close to FRA but I'd rather keep it with Hilton, loyalty, convenience, chance of upgrade, points, etc. What do you think? Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 7:50 am

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by gonezen
Probably using a dayroom at FRA to break up the trip to CPT in March. I notice there are two Hilton props which are pretty convenient, a Hilton and a Garden Inn. Just wondering which one is most convenient and would be recommended.

It appears both are convenient to Term 1 and I will be arriving on UA from ORD with pretty much a full day layover. I've been to Frankfurt city and need the respite more than a field trip. The price difference is small, the Hilton being about 10 euros cheaper than GI. I know there's cheaper available close to FRA but I'd rather keep it with Hilton, loyalty, convenience, chance of upgrade, points, etc. What do you think? Thanks for the help!
Both are on the same location , the Hilton is IMHO better, but do not exclude spending the day at the LH First class lounge (as UA Plat you should have access) .
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by crazyit
Both are on the same location , the Hilton is IMHO better, but do not exclude spending the day at the LH First class lounge (as UA Plat you should have access) .
No, the OP would NOT have access to the LH FCL, unless one holds a boarding pass for a same-day flight in LH F, or is an LH HON. UA Plat only entitles one to the LH Senator lounge, which is the designated *A Gold/partner first class lounge at FRA.

OP, both are equally convenient (in the same building). Also... the only hotel that's closer to FRA than those hotels is the FRA Sheraton (which is directly across from the terminal). The Hilton/HGI are in a building that's on top of the train station for FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.