Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by mrbofus
I posted a reply, but it doesn't look it went through, so if this ends up being a duplicate, my apologies.

jzweighaft, thank you! Also, my apologies for not seeing your earlier posts. I got an e-mail for this post, but I didn't get any notifications for your earlier posts.

Using CDP 2 and PC 175070, I'm showing $166.49 as the price. I wonder how you're able to see a cheaper price. I guess I will hold off for now and hope that a better rate will come around after November 15. Fingers crossed!
Which vehicle type are you looking at? Try clearing your cache and all of your cookies related to hertz.com and look again; I find that sometimes helps Also, make sure that the PC sticks all the way through the final booking page.

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 4:06 pm

I'm looking for some rate help on a one-way SUV rental from NY to CA. Cheapest I've found so far is $1300ish. If for some reason Hertz is not the best choice for a long-distance one way rental, let me know that too!

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 12549 / Middletown NY / SWF Airport (whatever's cheapest)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 94901
Pickup Date and Time: 12/22/2012, flexible on time
Return Date and Time: 01/02/2013, flexible on time
Vehicle Size Preference: Std SUV
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): HH Diamond, AA Gold, Costco, AAA, Southwest, Delta, US Air
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, UA GOLD, HERTZ #1 GOLD, STRWD PLAT
Lax - 12/21-12/25

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following rental in LAX Dec 21-25.

Pickup/Dropoff Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 12/21/2012 5:00 PM
Return Date and Time: 12/25/2012 7:00 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard SUV or larger
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, AA, DELTA, United, COSTCO, US Airways, Hertz #1 Gold, AMEX Plat, Hilton Diamond

So far have $382 w/ National Code: 8572130 - Standard SUV
Hertz: $554 Standard SUV - CDP: 1 PC: 153870

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by docsmitty
I'm looking for some rate help on a one-way SUV rental from NY to CA. Cheapest I've found so far is $1300ish. If for some reason Hertz is not the best choice for a long-distance one way rental, let me know that too!

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 12549 / Middletown NY / SWF Airport (whatever's cheapest)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): 94901
Pickup Date and Time: 12/22/2012, flexible on time
Return Date and Time: 01/02/2013, flexible on time
Vehicle Size Preference: Std SUV
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): HH Diamond, AA Gold, Costco, AAA, Southwest, Delta, US Air
In my research I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation. I only looked at Steward International Airport (SWF); the 49 Route 17 K HLE and 22 County Road 78 HLE had rates averaging $100 more than SWF, so I didn't look further. The 7-passenger standard SUV (FRAR) was unavailable at all 3 locations, so I could only look at rates for 5-passenger standard SUVs (SFAR); FWIW, minivans were the same price as the SFAR. All of the rates I got included unlimited free mileage; here's what I found:

AAA HQ CDP w/ PC# 175696: $1,315.40
Airline or Costco CDP w/ PC# 175696: $1,392.68

PC# 175696 saves you $5 per day, up to $35 on a weekly reservation. FWIW it may be worthwhile revisiting your reservation once new promotion codes are (hopefully) published in mid-November. Sorry I couldn't find you anything cheaper; I checked out Avis and Budget also (no CDP-equivalents) and compared to non-CDP discounted Hertz rates, Hertz is still by far the cheapest

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rweintra
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me with the following rental in LAX Dec 21-25.

Pickup/Dropoff Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 12/21/2012 5:00 PM
Return Date and Time: 12/25/2012 7:00 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard SUV or larger
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, AA, DELTA, United, COSTCO, US Airways, Hertz #1 Gold, AMEX Plat, Hilton Diamond

So far have $382 w/ National Code: 8572130 - Standard SUV
Hertz: $554 Standard SUV - CDP: 1 PC: 153870

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
In my findings I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation.

I was unable to make PC# 153870 work with any of the CDPs; do you know what it does or any other information about it?

I did use PC# 175696, which saves you $5 per day, up to $35, in all of the rates I found; it gave me the lowest rate of any PC and did not affect the base rate. Here is what I found:

CDP:....AAA HQ....Amex Plat...Airline/Costco
SFAR....$379.94...$402.45........$423.27
FRAR....$529.99....$557.79........$590.97
MVAR...$542.62....$570.85........$605.06
FFAR....$870.62....$1,031.68......$971.67

In addition to these prices, you should also consider the benefits of each CDP when choosing which one to use.

-J.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I'm guessing you meant 2013 for your dates? Also, I wasn't sure which location in Las Vegas you meant, so in my findings I searched for pickup at LAS (McCarran Int'l) and return at the West Hollywood HLE. Since you mentioned you may join AAA, I searched for those rates as well; in my findings I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation.

PC# 168210 saves you $5 per day, up to $35. All of the rates I came across include free unlimited mileage ^ Here's what I found:

No CDP or PC: $825.75
No CDP w/ PC# 168210: $786.55

Airline CDP w/o PC: $750.32
Airline CDP w/ PC# 168210: $715.75

AAA HQ CDP w/o PC: $726.33
AAA HQ CDP w/ PC# 168210: $691.75

The best AAA rate is only $24 less than an airline CDP rate with the same promo code. I don't know how much it costs to join AAA but it's a very small difference IMHO. If you plan to earn airline frequent flyer miles (and not Hertz Gold Rewards points) on this rental, I recommend sticking with your favorite airline's CDP and enjoying any bonus miles you may receive.

In general, two reservations is more expensive than one YMMV of course, but I think this would apply in your case.

-J.
Thankyou for that!

No use in me spending $30 on AAA to save $24! I was tempted to join them for the underage driver fee waiver but I think I may be eligible for that through Hertz Gold (correct me if I'm wrong!)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 3:10 am

Which vehicle type are you looking at? Try clearing your cache and all of your cookies related to hertz.com and look again; I find that sometimes helps Also, make sure that the PC sticks all the way through the final booking page.

-J.
I'm looking at a FCAR/Full Size car. Yup, I run Firefox so that it doesn't remember any history, but I cleared the cache, cookies, history, and active logins just in case, closed the browser, re-opened it, and it's still showing me $166.49 for a FCAR, $157.49 for a SCAR, $148.49 for an ICAR, $139.39 for a CCAR, and $130.49 for an ECAR.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Heh, I didn't know AutoSlash had a CDP Where did you find PC# 168210? I remember using it many, many times in the past, but I had no idea it still worked. This isn't a bad PC and saves you up to $35. Also, is the $40 booster seat a benefit of the AutoSlash CDP? With Amex and airline CDPs the cost is higher ($83.93)

I included the booster seat cost in all of my research. The Amex CDP and different airline CDPs all yielded the same rates. Here's what I found:

ECAR: $534.09 pay-now, $562.02 w/ PC# 168210
CCAR: $546.79 pay-now, $576.98 w/ PC# 168210
ICAR: $559.52 pay-now, $591.94 w/ PC# 168210

Looks like you're best off sticking with the AutoSlash rate ^ $528 is a very good rate for a rental as long as yours, especially at HNL.

-J.
J,

Thanks. Autoslash actually found a rate about $100 less from Avis, so I have rebooked there.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 am

In my research I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation. I only looked at Steward International Airport (SWF); the 49 Route 17 K HLE and 22 County Road 78 HLE had rates averaging $100 more than SWF, so I didn't look further. The 7-passenger standard SUV (FRAR) was unavailable at all 3 locations, so I could only look at rates for 5-passenger standard SUVs (SFAR); FWIW, minivans were the same price as the SFAR. All of the rates I got included unlimited free mileage; here's what I found:

AAA HQ CDP w/ PC# 175696: $1,315.40
Airline or Costco CDP w/ PC# 175696: $1,392.68

PC# 175696 saves you $5 per day, up to $35 on a weekly reservation. FWIW it may be worthwhile revisiting your reservation once new promotion codes are (hopefully) published in mid-November. Sorry I couldn't find you anything cheaper; I checked out Avis and Budget also (no CDP-equivalents) and compared to non-CDP discounted Hertz rates, Hertz is still by far the cheapest

-J.
Thanks, that (unfortunately) confirms what I found - two years ago I ended up with a Ford Flex for $800 for a similar cross-country trip, guess it's not to be this year!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:02 am

Please help, family trip...I haven't seen them in over a year and we will be traveling to Six Flags, would like to save some money for the trip.

Pickup/Dropoff Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): SAN
Pickup Date and Time: 11/05/2012 9:30 PM
Return Date and Time: 11/14/2012 6:30PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard/Compact
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, DELTA, United, COSTCO, Hertz #1 Gold

I was able to get $287 w/ AAA, seems like a lot for 8 days. Last year I had a car for 12 days same location for $180ish
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:03 am

Hertz CDP 1911795 provided by Generic Travel and Incentive is no longer valid. The CDP previously waived the underage surcharged. Does anyone know the new CDP to waive underage surcharged? I am not looking for Gold Family CDP or any type of promo, including 144314.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ITSTHECLOUDS
Hertz CDP 1911795 provided by Generic Travel and Incentive is no longer valid. The CDP previously waived the underage surcharged. Does anyone know the new CDP to waive underage surcharged? I am not looking for Gold Family CDP or any type of promo, including 144314.
Why not Gold Family? That is your best bet; it's the easiest to use. Other than that you can sign up for USAA (must be a US citizen with a social security #) or use PC# 144314 like you mentioned. I've noticed recently that other CDPs with PC# 144314 tended to be cheaper than the Gold Family CDP rates, but if you're using something like the FRDM rate quotes then you'd have to avoid using a PC.

I know of know other ways to get around this fee; I used to go with the PC but now I use the USAA CDP ^

-J.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WinDroidGuy
Please help, family trip...I haven't seen them in over a year and we will be traveling to Six Flags, would like to save some money for the trip.

Pickup/Dropoff Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): SAN
Pickup Date and Time: 11/05/2012 9:30 PM
Return Date and Time: 11/14/2012 6:30PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard/Compact
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, DELTA, United, COSTCO, Hertz #1 Gold

I was able to get $287 w/ AAA, seems like a lot for 8 days. Last year I had a car for 12 days same location for $180ish
Which PC (if any) did you use to get $287? The cheapest I'm finding is almost $40 more than that, and it's for a CCAR Rental rates have generally gone up since last year I think, and $287 for 9 days isn't that bad If you're not really tied down to Hertz, it may be worth checking out other companies such as Budget, Thrifty, and Dollar, who seem to have much more competitive rates.

-J.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:12 am

Thanks jzweighaft!

I investigated further and found that using two separate bookings and playing with the dates does bring down the overall price slightly. I'll be in SF for 5 nights and I'm worried about parking options.

Is there any way you could use your coupon magic with these? Pretty please

Pickup Location: Flamingo Hotel, Vegas
Dropoff Location: Fishermans Wharf, SF
Pickup Date and Time: 01/08/2013 - Anytime
Return Date and Time: 01/10/2013 - Anytime OR 01/11 if can get a free day.
Vehicle Size Preference: Midsize (Corolla)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, Qantas, AA, UA, Delta, JetBlue and will get AAA if worth it.

Pickup Location: Fishermans Wharf, SF
Dropoff Location: West Hollywood HLE
Pickup Date and Time: 01/15/2013 - Anytime
Return Date and Time: 01/26/2013 - Anytime
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, Qantas, AA, UA, Delta, JetBlue and will get AAA if worth it.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
This is for Shanye2233:
Pickup/return Location: HNL
Pickup Date and Time:11/28/12 - 5:00 pm
Return Date and Time: 12/3/12 - 2:00 pm
Vehicle Size Preference:
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): QF, AS, Aerosvit

Since you're renting 5 days, you will probably get a weekly rate. Using an airline CDP the cheapest I could find for anything was $182.82 all-in for the entire stay for a Kia Rio (for you that equates to around $36.57 per day). HNL is one of the more expensive locations in the system. I only did a quick search since I'm really busy this weekend (greetings from NYC!) but if nobody's gotten around to this by Wednesday I'll take a closer look.

-J.

Anything under $200 here for me ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.