Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by wma
thanks for doing this.

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): STL (St. Louis MO
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): MCI, Kansas city MO
Pickup Date and Time: 10.16.12 - 10PM
Return Date and Time:10.22.12 - 2:30PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Economy, compact - cheapest
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA

Thanks so much in advance
Best I came up with is $403.40 for an economy car (A/ECAR, Kia Rio or similar). I'm not sure which AAA CDP you use so I just used CDP 1 - AAA HEADQUARTERS. I also used PC# 172454, which cuts $50 off the price; this PC is specifically for AAA-affiliated renters so do take advantage of it.

Note that you're paying $35 and change in airport concession recovery fees; you may find a better price at a corporate neighborhood location if one exists.

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Housouer
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): MCI Kansas City Airport
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Same
Pickup Date and Time: 10.24.12 - 5:00PM
Return Date and Time:10.28.12 - 8:00AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Economy, compact - cheapest
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): None

Thanks very much
Hmm you should just take wma's car after he returns it

Anyway, Economy and Compact cars are the same price for your rental; for $304.77 you can have one of those. I could not find any PCs that would work for your rental unfortunately.

If you don't need the Hertz points, may I suggest using the Delta (or any other airline's) CDP 165385, which brings the price down to $291.56 for the same car. Use PC# 170166 for extra bonus SkyMiles. (FWIW you can still earn Hertz points if you prefer.)

-J.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:49 am
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Best I came up with is $403.40 for an economy car (A/ECAR, Kia Rio or similar). I'm not sure which AAA CDP you use so I just used CDP 1 - AAA HEADQUARTERS. I also used PC# 172454, which cuts $50 off the price; this PC is specifically for AAA-affiliated renters so do take advantage of it.

Note that you're paying $35 and change in airport concession recovery fees; you may find a better price at a corporate neighborhood location if one exists.

-J.
thanks so much. I'll check this out.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:39 pm

Hey guys, this is a very cool thing you're doing for others. I am planning a special road trip for November and am having difficulty finding a good rate on an SUV for the one-way rental. Here are the details...

Pickup location: El Paso, TX
Dropoff location: Los Angeles, CA (preferably West LA or Santa Monica area) - Westwood HLE is a nearby Hertz location

Pickup Date/Time: Nov. 19th @ 11:30am
Dropoff Date/Time: Nov 27th @ 9am

Vehicle Preference: Prefer a small or standard SUV (RAV4 or Grand Cherokee and the like), but for a significantly lower price, I am willing to consider any newer sedan models with comfortable seats/interior for the ~2K miles I'll be driving in a ~8 day period, e.g. Cruze or Focus.

Memberships: AAA

The best rate I've been able to find is $520.68 for a Kia Rio from the Central El Paso HLE to the Westwood HLE, using the AAA rate. The RAV4 is ~$200 more, which is a bit much.

I'm not sure the Kia Rio will work for us though; we'll have at least one large suitcase with us, and if it doesn't fit in the back of the hatch under the cover (seems doubtful looking at the pictures) we'd need to put the seats down, and I'd prefer to not have the luggage visible/exposed while parked at rest stops or restaurants on the road. That said, Altimas and Corollas are off the list as they've been very uncomfortable for me over long drives.

I've been avoiding airport locations as that seems to include airport taxes that drive prices through the roof. I am not necessarily stuck on only renting from Hertz, but they seem to have the lowest prices for this type of one-way rental.

Huge thanks in advance!

Last edited by Armen52; Oct 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm Reason: Vehicle type info update
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Gold
Merry Christmas to me?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):msp
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):msp
can be the hle in bloomington MN also
Pickup Date and Time: 530pm 12/24/12
Return Date and Time: 12pm 1/4/13
Vehicle Size Preference: something 4wd or a lacrosse
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc):aaa usaa delta hyatt usair hertz gold.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:45 pm

Pickup/Drop Location: AUS
Pickup Date and Time: Oct 17 6:30 pm
Return Date and Time: Oct 23 6:30 am
Vehicle Size Preference: compact or economy
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc):None

Already have a good priced reservation with Budget - $170ish

But my near worthless Spirit miles are due to expire and Hertz is one of their few partners

Appreciate any help

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsEmEl

But my near worthless Spirit miles are due to expire and Hertz is one of their few partners

Appreciate any help

Thanks!
Would you be using the Spirit Airlines CDP# 488789?

-J.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:54 pm

I guess so if thats mandatory for miles?
Sorry I'm a newbie to Car Rental strategy

is the code tied to a specific rate category?

If so I'm expecting a Spirit-worthy quote lol

Would you be using the Spirit Airlines CDP# 488789?

-J.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: UA, AA ,FB, Marriott, Enterprise,Amex
Pickup Location: Tel Aviv Bengurion Airport (Or in the city of Tel Aviv)
Dropoff Location: Ben Gurion Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 10/22 @ 10am
Return Date and Time: 10/28 @ 2pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Economy
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA (northern california), Costco, AARP, United/AA/Delta

The best rate I could find was $205 with the mandatory insurance.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST E+), Alaska MVP Gold
Disneyworld trip.... Disney/Kissimmee - TPA

For a Disneyworld trip,

Pickup Location : Disneyworld/ Kissimmeee, FL
Dropoff Location TPA
Pickup Date and Time: Wed Nov 21, 5pm
Return Date and Time: Tues Nov 27, 10am
Vehicle Size Preference: any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, AmexPlatinum, Delta Gold Medallion

(thank you!!!!)

Last edited by diclemeg; Oct 16, 2012 at 10:11 am
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage, SPG
So grateful for this resource and your help is appreciated looking for a weekend rental, but can't get weekend rate to work, Help please...
Pickup Location: Dallas (1200 Ross Avenue 75201)
Dropoff Location: IAH
Pickup Date and Time: 10/19/12 12:00 pm
Return Date and Time: 10/21/12 6:00 pm
Vehicle Size Preference: any- least expensive
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, priority club plat, AA, usaa amex plat, amex corp plat, hh gold, ua, delta-

Thanks so much- I am tagging-on a visit to my college student daughter in Houston to a Dallas business trip.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
I'm grateful for this resource, too. Because of it, I learned to use my USAA benefit over my AAA! Thanks to all but especially those who accept the challenges here!

OK, well, I need two more rentals this year. My anniversary is this Sunday and my DH leaves for Afghanistan within 2 weeks (or less).

Dates: 19OCT 12p - 22OCT 12p
Discounts: AAA, USAA, SW CDP, US CDP
Vehicle size: Nissan Versa (ECAR, CCAR)

I was getting terrific deals but seems the HLE restriction has signaled the end of the party. Please prove me wrong!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 9:29 pm

You can't rent a car for negative 1 hours -- unless perhaps you're doing a one-way between two time zones and really plan on using the 29 minute grace period

Can you check your dates and times?

-J.
Sorry, can't believe I posted a time travel car rental!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LIH Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 11/29/12 - 10:30pm
Return Date and Time: 12/01/12 -9:30pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Amex Platinum / Hertz gold / USAA
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm gonna try to knock a whole bunch of these out of the way; I'm starting with this one since it's so soon.

Originally Posted by EsEmEl

Using the Spirit Air CDP# 488789 (so you can perhaps earn extra bonus miles), I got $320.43 for either ECAR (Kia Rio) or CCAR (Chevy Aveo). This is without any PC; I generally found higher rates if you included PC# 135892 ($10 a day, up to $40 off on weekly or weekend rentals). IMHO you should keep your rental with Budget.

-J.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:28 pm

Will do

Thanks so much for checking!

Gonna stay 1 night at the 1 star Rodeway Inn just to earn a few miles

I'm gonna try to knock a whole bunch of these out of the way; I'm starting with this one since it's so soon.

Using the Spirit Air CDP# 488789 (so you can perhaps earn extra bonus miles), I got $320.43 for either ECAR (Kia Rio) or CCAR (Chevy Aveo). This is without any PC; I generally found higher rates if you included PC# 135892 ($10 a day, up to $40 off on weekly or weekend rentals). IMHO you should keep your rental with Budget.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.