Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDefeat
Pickup Location: Any location in the NYC metro area (this includes all stops on the LIRR out to Long Island, NJ transit, and MetroNorth up to Connecticut)
Dropoff Location: same
Pickup Date and Time: 24 December 11.00
Return Date and Time: 7 January 11.00
Vehicle Size Preference: Nothing Smaller than Intermediate
Memberships: Hertz #1 Gold Club, USAA

So far, the best rate I can find is at the Stamford, CT Metro North Station (1 Stamford Way) for $366. But I'm flexible and willing to travel great distances for great deals, or alternatively, pony up a little extra to be able to go to the location just around the block from me in Brooklyn. Work your magic, please!
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
It's a huge area to check, there must be over a hundred locations. I've already got the big 3 airports and started doing some of the places in Queens; I could do Queens, Brooklyn, and points east, if someone wants to check Staten Island and the Bronx, maybe someone else does Connecticut, and another person for NJ?

To the OP: have you checked anything yet? I'd hate for anyone to check places that have already been scoped out. Here's what I got so far (USAA rates, PC if specified):
  • JFK 784.94
  • LGA 877.77 (Pay now)
  • EWR 659.22
  • GreatNeck 562.14, PC175070: 536.09
  • MidVllg 586.76, PC175070: 560.72
  • LgaPlz 586.76, PC175070: 560.72
  • Inwood 455.68, PC175070: 429.63

PC# 175070 is $30 off a weekly rental, and is only valid at off-airport locations. It's also the only one I know of so far that's valid in New York and doesn't expire until the end of January.

-J.
I'm working on CT right now, and will probably move on to NJ after that. If no one's managed to pick up Staten Island by then I'll move to that.

*Space reserved for forthcoming rates*
All rates listed were obtained using USAA CDP and PC# 175070 unless otherwise stated
Connecticut:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Westchester County:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Last edited by roymustang; Sep 23, 2012 at 6:24 pm Reason: Adding quoted rates
Old Sep 23, 2012, 6:43 pm

Some extra info

It's a huge area to check, there must be over a hundred locations. I've already got the big 3 airports and started doing some of the places in Queens; I could do Queens, Brooklyn, and points east, if someone wants to check Staten Island and the Bronx, maybe someone else does Connecticut, and another person for NJ?
Wow, I'm really impressed with everyone's quick responses! I've checked the 3 Brooklyn locations and the 3 airports. I've also checked White Plains (which has been ok in the past) and Stamford. Based on past research, I haven't checked Manhattan. I'm willing to go pretty far to save hundreds of dollars, as I'm working on a grad student budget, and enjoy reading on trains anyway.

The best price I've found using USAA CP (for the free extra driver for another USAA member) and PC 168851 for $35 off is on an ICAR at Stamford's Amtrak Station for $300.34. I'll check on that Smithsville location, which is lower--thanks so much for that tip.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:08 pm

The best price I've found using USAA CP (for the free extra driver for another USAA member) and PC 168851 for $35 off is on an ICAR at Stamford's Amtrak Station for $300.34. I'll check on that Smithsville location, which is lower--thanks so much for that tip.
Update: I used these codes on some of the low rates that others found, and my new best rate is Norwalk, CT @ $262.22.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:21 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Update: I used these codes on some of the low rates that others found, and my new best rate is Norwalk, CT @ $262.22.
That's an excellent rate. Would you mind replying back with the CDP and PC codes that you used to get this rate? It helps to refine future searches for others. Thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
That's an excellent rate. Would you mind replying back with the CDP and PC codes that you used to get this rate? It helps to refine future searches for others. Thanks!
Yes, of course! The CDP is USAA (77694), and the PC also comes from USAA (168851). It's for $35 off a rental before Dec. 31, 2012.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xylum
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Ft. Lauderdale Airport (FLL)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Ft. Lauderdale Airport (FLL)
Pickup Date and Time: March 6th, 2013
Return Date and Time: March 13th, 2013
Vehicle Size Preference: Premium or Intermediate/Standard SUV
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA/CAA (I'm Canadian), Hertz #1 Gold

I have noticed that on my dates, full sized vehicles are far cheaper than any other class and I don't understand the massive (almost $300) jump from a full size to an intermediate SUV. I know my travel dates are a bit into the future but if anyone can find a better price on one of these vehicles I would really appreciate it!

Also, I know that the full size class includes a chevrolet malibu or similar, but what features do these cars come with? Are they limited/upgraded models with added features like leather seats or a sunroof? If only some models have these features, is it usually possible to switch the vehicle at the last minute for one with better features (I have Hertz Gold so I don't think I go to the counter)?
For an Intermediate SUV, I'm seeing a rate of $620.42 with Hertz right now with AAA CDP, and a Standard SUV would be $640.51.

Note that Budget has a Standard SUV for $317.48 for your dates.

The answer to why the Intermediate SUV is so much more than the fullsize has nothing to do with the cost of the vehicle. It has to do with demand. Hertz charges more because they can. If they have too few SUV's on rent close to the pickup date, prices will drop like a rock. That's why many people track their rentals with AutoSlash.

Fullsize would typically be a Chevy Impala or similar. It's certainly possible to upgrade (FLL has Gold Choice which may have nicer vehicles), but it will likely come at a cost if nothing available in the Gold Choice area. A Premium car is more likely to have leather, Sirius, etc, but not guaranteed. Sunroofs are not common on the standard (non-luxury) models.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:39 pm

Try one-way from a suburban HLE to your closest Brooklyn HLE. The prices might be competitive with roundtrip train or bus fare.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Yes, of course! The CDP is USAA (77694), and the PC also comes from USAA (168851). It's for $35 off a rental before Dec. 31, 2012.
The PC that roymustang (thanks for your help!) and I were using is for $30 off, so I guess you can assume that 168851 (can't believe I missed that one, especially because I'm USAA too) would yield rates $5 less than what we found. YMMV of course (I tried it on the AAA Smithtown HLE and it ended up giving me a rate in the mid-$300s!).

Also, don't forget to include the round-trip transportation fare. One rate may save you $80 but it could be a $55 LIRR ticket each way.

I understand you'll need the car, but this is perhaps the ultimate worst reservation ever -- the most expensive market in the country, during the highest travel period of the year. That $262 rate is very good (but do make sure you include MNR fares + subway).

If you're willing to travel, just how far would you go? BoltBus et al. to Boston/DC/Philadelphia are often very inexpensive, although you will need to be willing to do the drive back.

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Try one-way from a suburban HLE to your closest Brooklyn HLE. The prices might be competitive with roundtrip train or bus fare.
FWIW I've tried that in the past and it's always been just as, if not more, expensive than a round trip.

-J.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhiltz
One day rental, (but can make it 2 days, if a cheap "weekend rate is available) the advertised FRDM does not seem to work

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): PDX
Dropoff Location : Same
Pickup Date and Time: Oct 4th 2012 - 8.30pm
Return Date and Time: Oct 5th 2012 - 8pm (or could do a return on Oct 6th at 2pm, if this makes it a cheaper w/e rate)
Vehicle Size Preference: Compact
Memberships: AARP, Costco, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Seeing $90.54 with UAL FF CDP 62455 and PC 166401. Enterprise is another option (also on-airport) coming in at $40.18.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:20 pm

For an Intermediate SUV, I'm seeing a rate of $620.42 with Hertz right now with AAA CDP, and a Standard SUV would be $640.51.

Note that Budget has a Standard SUV for $317.48 for your dates.

The answer to why the Intermediate SUV is so much more than the fullsize has nothing to do with the cost of the vehicle. It has to do with demand. Hertz charges more because they can. If they have too few SUV's on rent close to the pickup date, prices will drop like a rock. That's why many people track their rentals with AutoSlash.

Fullsize would typically be a Chevy Impala or similar. It's certainly possible to upgrade (FLL has Gold Choice which may have nicer vehicles), but it will likely come at a cost if nothing available in the Gold Choice area. A Premium car is more likely to have leather, Sirius, etc, but not guaranteed. Sunroofs are not common on the standard (non-luxury) models.
Thanks for your help! The budget offer looks very enticing. I also check out AutoSlash and found some good deals there as well so I will consider those? Is there a reason that most deals/coupons from rental car companies are only applicable for a period of 1-3 months into the future? Do you think I would be better off waiting until early 2013 to book a rental when there may be coupons available for me? Are car prices cheaper usually when the date of travel grows closer or do cars get reserved/sold out?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:29 pm

I understand you'll need the car, but this is perhaps the ultimate worst reservation ever -- the most expensive market in the country, during the highest travel period of the year.
"the ultimate worst reservation ever" really made me laugh out loud, because it's true! Two of us have lots of family to visit during this period, so renting a car winds up being the cheapest (vs. airfare), even with Metro North fares. But it's good advice to figure out the actual cost of transit and fold that into the cost when I'm booking. I think Philly would be too far (I know it's $40 on Amtrak and weary of Bolt), so I think my effective range is NY, NJ, CT (via public transit).

I'll keep looking for something cheaper/closer as the date gets nearer, but $262 is a very good rate, all things considered.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xylum
Thanks for your help! The budget offer looks very enticing. I also check out AutoSlash and found some good deals there as well so I will consider those? Is there a reason that most deals/coupons from rental car companies are only applicable for a period of 1-3 months into the future? Do you think I would be better off waiting until early 2013 to book a rental when there may be coupons available for me? Are car prices cheaper usually when the date of travel grows closer or do cars get reserved/sold out?
When you book with AutoSlash directly, we'll constantly check prices, and if they drop, we'll automatically lower your rate. The one drawback is that most of the major companies have abandoned us due to the great deals we were finding people, so only a few show up in search results.

That said, we can track rates for any company, so we recommend that you find the best deal you can, book early, and then click on the tab labeled "Track a rental you've booked elsewhere" on our site, and we'll monitor rates on your rental and email you if we find a better deal. We do the work so you don't have to.

As for rate trends in general, they often do go down as the pickup date approaches--especially if one or more companies have extra inventory. This is not always the case though, since if the reverse happens and inventory is tight, rates can rise and never come down. That's why we recommend booking early and monitoring prices. You can always cancel and re-book (assuming you did not prepay) for free.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:17 am
SLV

Programs: Hertz PC
FRDM no longer works at SFO/OAK? I can't seem to get it to apply. Anyone else?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:31 am
me2

Programs: BA SPG Gold
That is a *very* good deal--especially over Xmas. I would jump on it ASAP. As discussed before, international (non-US) customers can sometimes get much better deals renting in the US by specifying their home country and looking for deals that way.

Hi

Over the weekend I tried to book the rate offered to me last week but the price has now increased by £25 to £157 GBP

I assume like airlines these things change on a regular basis. Any tips to pick the best time to check again please?

Also - does anybody have a code that works with PLATINUM AMEX

thanks for your help
Mark
Old Sep 24, 2012, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by me2
Hi

Over the weekend I tried to book the rate offered to me last week but the price has now increased by £25 to £157 GBP

I assume like airlines these things change on a regular basis. Any tips to pick the best time to check again please?

Also - does anybody have a code that works with PLATINUM AMEX

thanks for your help
Mark
Check early and often. There is no trick to this. Persistence pays off. The Hertz Amex Platinum CDP is 211762.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.