Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by nwafan20
Thanks for the tip guys! The only concern is that the person that is a member of USAA might not be going on this trip, it's still up in the air at this time. What's the best that could be done without it? Now I'm only getting the cheapest at $195 >
If you personally are not eligible for the USAA CDP, you should not use it; if your family has a membership and you personally use one of the USAA services (e.g. if you're covered under an insurance policy, or if you have a bank account with them, or are just a straight-up free member like I am), then I would think that you would be eligible to use it.

Using the AAA MI CDP and PC# 144314 I got $325.28; $120 will be deducted at the rental counter for a final total of $205.28. I got the same rate using the Car & Driver Magazine CDP and PC# 144314 too. This is for a midsize car at the Stadium Drive HLE. If you are finding $195 for an ICAR then I recommend you book it.

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: Northwest Worlperks, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
If you personally are not eligible for the USAA CDP, you should not use it; if your family has a membership and you personally use one of the USAA services (e.g. if you're covered under an insurance policy, or if you have a bank account with them, or are just a straight-up free member like I am), then I would think that you would be eligible to use it.
To Clarify - if I were to use the USAA CDP the reservation would be under the member of USAA, not me. That's why I'm not sure if I am going to be able to use it because obviously if he's not joining us on the trip I wouldn't be able to have the reservation under him.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by nwafan20
To Clarify - if I were to use the USAA CDP the reservation would be under the member of USAA, not me. That's why I'm not sure if I am going to be able to use it because obviously if he's not joining us on the trip I wouldn't be able to have the reservation under him.
Oh, I see

I just thought of something else. Sign up for Gold Family (CDP #1826991) -- this is another CDP that waives the age differential. The only requirement AFAIK is that you must have a US driver's license (i.e., not a foreign license).

Using that and PC# 175070, I got a rate of $182.07 all-in

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: Northwest Worlperks, AirTran A+ Rewards
Oh, I see

I just thought of something else. Sign up for Gold Family (CDP #1826991) -- this is another CDP that waives the age differential. The only requirement AFAIK is that you must have a US driver's license (i.e., not a foreign license).

Using that and PC# 175070, I got a rate of $182.07 all-in

-J.
That may work! I'll have to put the reservation under someone else though because I don't turn 21 until January (which is the minimum age for Hertz Gold unfortunately)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by djacSE
18 days in California June 2013

Pickup Location: San Francisco (Preferably Airport, but downtown will work if lower rate justifies)
Dropoff Location: LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 4:00 pM on 06/13/13
Return Date and Time: 11:00 AM on 07/01/13
Vehicle Size Preference: Large SUV, 7 seats
Memberships: Hertz Gold, EuroBonus Gold CDP 824824
Swedish citizen

Maybe I am too early to get ok rates, only find very high rates, please advice?

Many thanks
Update, I checked with SFO South HLE, very small change in price. Best Hertz price I can find, with CDP 824824 is prepaid 768$, however it is prepaid, is that wise this early..? This is a Traverse and if possible I would appreciate the next class up in size.

I hold a reservation with Avis, also for a Traverse, at 992$.

So Herz i significantly lower, but prepaid, any experiences on this?

Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
hey guys, need some help for a last min rental in phx

Pickup Location: phx
Dropoff Location: phx
Pickup Date and Time: October 13 2012 at 530PM
Return Date and Time: October 19, 2012 at 1PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size/intermediate
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA,amex plat

tried all the codes, but can't find anything under $350, plus all the fee it comes up to around 440. is it because it is last min? am i SOL?

Last edited by loves_2_travel; Oct 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:44 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loves_2_travel
hey guys, need some help for a last min rental in phx

Pickup Location: phx
Dropoff Location: phx
Pickup Date and Time: October 13 2012 at 530PM
Return Date and Time: October 19, 2012 at 1PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size/intermediate
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA,amex plat

tried all the codes, but can't find anything under $350, plus all the fee it comes up to around 440. is it because it is last min? am i SOL?
Lowest I'm seeing with Hertz is around $400 all-in for an intermediate from Hertz with UA FF disc and PC 172863.

You can get an intermediate with Budget for $228 though, or a premium car with Dollar for $306.38.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:34 pm
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Plat
whoa that's amazing! just booked it with budget, thank you SO MUCH autoslash!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 6:06 am

LAX Rental

Hello all, I was always able to have good deals on the Hertz site using CDP/Promo codes (from this site) but for my current trip I can't seem to get a normal deal outside of the smaller cars... (10000 USD for the Porsche, 5000 USD for the Caddy etc..)

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 12-15-2012 - 02:00 PM
Return Date and Time: 01-4-2013 - 10:00 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Prestige
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Amex Plat, ANWB (local, I'm currently based in NL), whatever ;-)

Thanks a lot!!
Old Oct 13, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s2klax
Hello all, I was always able to have good deals on the Hertz site using CDP/Promo codes (from this site) but for my current trip I can't seem to get a normal deal outside of the smaller cars... (10000 USD for the Porsche, 5000 USD for the Caddy etc..)

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 12-15-2012 - 02:00 PM
Return Date and Time: 01-4-2013 - 10:00 AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Prestige
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Amex Plat, ANWB (local, I'm currently based in NL), whatever ;-)

Thanks a lot!!
Are there any cars in the Prestige Collection in particular you want us to check out? Please take a look at the fleet list for some ideas... LAX is one of Hertz's larger stations and they will have most of what's in the Collection. Is there anything you don't want?

I have to go return a car now (non-Prestige though ), but when I get back I'd split this up with someone if anyone else is interested (either by fleet or by CDP or some other combination?).

-J.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:55 am

Are there any cars in the Prestige Collection in particular you want us to check out? Please take a look at the fleet list for some ideas... LAX is one of Hertz's larger stations and they will have most of what's in the Collection. Is there anything you don't want?

I have to go return a car now (non-Prestige though ), but when I get back I'd split this up with someone if anyone else is interested (either by fleet or by CDP or some other combination?).

-J.
I usually get a full size SUV, like the Caddy or the QX56 but with the current fuel prices the Merc or Infinity sedan might be a good alternative...

Porsche seems cool, but 10.000 USD is quite an amazing price

We have some bags so the convertibles aren't an option unfortunately..
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s2klax
Replied earlier but for some reason my post didnt show up..

Thanks for your response.
I usually take a full size SUV like the Caddy or the QX56 but with the current fuel prices the Merc and Infinity sedans might be a good alternative..

The Porsche is pretty cool but 10.000 USD is quite a price
We do have some luggage so the convertibles aren't an option unfortunately.

Thanks a lot..
I used PC# 168604, which is $20 off per day, up to $100 off, a weekly rental of a Prestige Collection vehicle, in all of my findings; when compared to non-PC discounted rates, the PC did not appear to increase the base rate (with either CDP), so definitely take advantage of this. Unfortunately the coupon cannot be used for the Porsche Panamera (FWIW, it was around $5900 all-in with the Amex Plat CDP, or $5700 with the ANWB CDP).

Here's what I found:

Vehicle:....CDP used:..Amex Plat..ANWB
Cadillac Escalade AWD..$3,045.62....$2,597.97
Cadillac SRX................$2,162.12....$1,847.01
Infiniti FX35/FX37.........$2,586.24....$2,207.49
Infiniti G37 Sedan.........$1,910.09....$1,847.08
Infinity QX56...............$3,045.62....$2,597.97
Mercedes C Class.........$2,162.12....$1,847.01
Mercedes E Class.........$2,444.92....$2,087.39
Mercedes GL450..........$2,833.66....$2,417.81
Mercedes GLK350........$2,338.87....$1,997.24

These rates include all taxes and fees, but do not include LDW, Insurance, or anything else you may wish to add on (unless included with the CDP). Clearly, ANWB yields better rates, but you may want to consider the benefits associated with each CDP (I don't know much about ANWB, but, for example, I think that with the Amex Plat CDP your return grace period is extended a few hours).

You may also want to check out LCAR prices since Luxury car reservations often yield Prestige vehicles, although YMMV (it's a risk -- you could get lucky, or you could get a Town Car ).

-J.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation RQ FRDM/XCT1 + PC#135892 will NOT be honored!

FYI: to any of you who found fantastic rates by combining the FRDM/XCT1 "Weekender Special" rate quote with PC# 135892 ($10 per day, up to $40 off a weekend or weekly reservation), your rate will not be honored upon return of your car. When I took out a car on Thursday, the contract said that the PC would be applied upon return; today when I returned it, as hard as he tried, the agent at my HLE said the computer system would not let him apply the PC. He did take off $15 and coded it as a "taxi reimbursement", but YMMV and I would not expect other stores to be as accommodating, especially busy airport locations.

If you already have a reservation using FRDM/XCT1 with PC# 135892, check and see if it's cheaper to use XCT1 on its own or the PC without a special RQ, and I would suggest you book it. You won't be able to modify/cancel your existing reservation on the website and will have to call in to make any changes to that (I have to call in this week and get two reservations canceled since taxis are now cheaper). In my past experiences, PC# 135892 with a generic RQ has been cheaper than XCT1 on its own, but I am seeing now that it varies from location to location.

-J.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:43 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Challenge Help

thanks for doing this.

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): STL (St. Louis MO
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): MCI, Kansas city MO
Pickup Date and Time: 10.16.12 - 10PM
Return Date and Time:10.22.12 - 2:30PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Economy, compact - cheapest
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA

Thanks so much in advance
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:54 pm

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): MCI Kansas City Airport
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Same
Pickup Date and Time: 10.24.12 - 5:00PM
Return Date and Time:10.28.12 - 8:00AM
Vehicle Size Preference: Economy, compact - cheapest
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): None

Thanks very much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.