FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards-423/)
-   -   The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz-gold-plus-rewards/1387665-official-help-me-find-good-rate-hertz-challenge-thread.html)

AutoSlash Sep 14, 2012 2:11 pm

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

In an effort to help keep the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...odes-here.html thread clean, our new moderator Rut Dog has given his approval to starting a separate thread dedicated to helping each other find the best deal possible on our Hertz rentals.

The idea is that users looking for a deal will post their rental details, and fellow FT members (we'll help, too!) will then reply back with information about how to get the best rates on that specific rental.

It's hard to find the best deal with incomplete information about the rental, so here's a little template we suggest using when posting your rental information:

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:

Rut Dog Sep 14, 2012 2:26 pm

We get so many vague requests for assistance, yet there is so much knowledge in this forum's hive mind. So let's see what we can do to help a fellow FTer out and find some good deals, while showing off your deal hunting skills.

Rise to the challenge! :cool:

GW McLintock Sep 15, 2012 1:11 am

This is such a great idea :) I'll get the ball rolling!

Pickup Location: ROC (Rochester International Airport)
Dropoff Location: same
Pickup Date and Time: October 26 @ 3:30 PM
Return Date and Time: October 28 @ 1:00 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Intermediate (or Compact if it's more than $10 cheaper)
Memberships: USAA

-J.

sanctified50 Sep 15, 2012 3:50 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft (Post 19318973)
This is such a great idea :) I'll get the ball rolling!

Pickup Location: ROC (Rochester International Airport)
Dropoff Location: same
Pickup Date and Time: October 26 @ 3:30 PM
Return Date and Time: October 28 @ 1:00 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Intermediate (or Compact if it's more than $10 cheaper)
Memberships: USAA

-J.

Using USAA CDP and Rate Code FRDM, I got $17.09 a day for a midsize or $43.30 total.

MsMarie Sep 15, 2012 6:45 am

This is a great idea, I would appreciate any help!

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): RDU
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): CHS
Pickup Date and Time: 9/16/2012 at noon
Return Date and Time: 9/23/2012 at ~5am (flight at 6am)
Vehicle Size Preference: No preference
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA

The best I found was using coupon code 172454 for $50 off a weekly rate. My total (after taxes/fees) is ~$235 for an economy car. I've never rented a car before so I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not.

AutoSlash Sep 15, 2012 6:54 am

Originally Posted by MsMarie (Post 19319623)
This is a great idea, I would appreciate any help!

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): RDU
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): CHS
Pickup Date and Time: 9/16/2012 at noon
Return Date and Time: 9/23/2012 at ~5am (flight at 6am)
Vehicle Size Preference: No preference
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA

The best I found was using coupon code 172454 for $50 off a weekly rate. My total (after taxes/fees) is ~$235 for an economy car. I've never rented a car before so I wasn't sure if that was a good deal or not.

Yes, that's a pretty good deal. I'm seeing around $210 for an economy car with the AAA discount code and that PC code.

yuchung5 Sep 15, 2012 8:18 am

Hello...
Help please...
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ORD
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ORD
Pickup Date and Time:10/28/2012 3pm
Return Date and Time:11/3/2012 3pm
Vehicle Size Preference: compact to full
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, IHG, AA Plat

Thanks

AutoSlash Sep 15, 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by yuchung5 (Post 19319929)
Hello...
Help please...
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ORD
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): ORD
Pickup Date and Time:10/28/2012 3pm
Return Date and Time:11/3/2012 3pm
Vehicle Size Preference: compact to full
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA, IHG, AA Plat

Thanks

I'm seeing $405.40 with Hertz for a compact with the AAA CDP and PC code 172454.

lowfareair Sep 15, 2012 11:21 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 19320056)
I'm seeing
Note that Budget has a deal on compacts which almost halves the price to $212.15.

Both that link and Budget.com offer a similar deal for a midsize SUV (Ford Escape or similar) for $236, if a midsize SUV is preferred over a compact car. Note that 1) Budget has many Ford Focuses in their fleet as compacts, which I would consider more of a midsize than a compact and 2) There's a decent chance of downgrading at no cost from an SUV to a midsize sedan, although not 100%.

raph Sep 16, 2012 3:14 pm

Here's a challenge. I'm "afraid" the company I always book with is the cheapest, whenever I check Hertz and others, they are FAR more expensive:

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time:11/14/2012 1pm
Return Date and Time:11/23/2012 1pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Full-Size SUV or Luxury SUV (Tahoe, Escalade etc)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA (ADAC), and the ft programmes shown left.

Price to beat: $492 incl. CDW, EP, upfront Fuel, all taxes and charges.

AutoSlash Sep 16, 2012 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by raph (Post 19326141)
Here's a challenge. I'm "afraid" the company I always book with is the cheapest, whenever I check Hertz and others, they are FAR more expensive:

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LAX
Pickup Date and Time:11/14/2012 1pm
Return Date and Time:11/23/2012 1pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Full-Size SUV or Luxury SUV (Tahoe, Escalade etc)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA (ADAC), and the ft programmes shown left.

Price to beat: $492 incl. CDW, EP, upfront Fuel, all taxes and charges.

It's not going to be possible to compare apples-to-apples here since the only way to get included CDW is with a corporate discount code, and we're only searching rates available to the general public in this thread.

Hertz looks to be able double the price you are getting elsewhere. Out of curiosity, through which company/discount are you able to get down to $492 on this rental. That seems abnormally low. Even looking across all companies, I'm not seeing anything close to that.

raph Sep 17, 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 19327651)
It's not going to be possible to compare apples-to-apples here since the only way to get included CDW is with a corporate discount code, and we're only searching rates available to the general public in this thread.

Not quite. I am German and in Germany CDW is mandatory, so it's usually also applied to rentals abroad whenever I book from Germany or disclose me being German. If I have to book corporate rentals without CDW in Europe (American Company / Corp. card) they always make me sign additional disclaimers that I am fully liable etc. pp. and I have to pretend I am a US resident.

Screenshot from Hertz.de showing that CDW and LDW is included in the (US) booking and cannot be removed:
http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/thum...b95v_thumb.jpg

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 19327651)
Hertz looks to be able double the price you are getting elsewhere. Out of curiosity, through which company/discount are you able to get down to $492 on this rental. That seems abnormally low. Even looking across all companies, I'm not seeing anything close to that.

It's a Deal my German Credit Card gives me with Alamo. - They have quite competetive rates with German TAs also, (maybe the reason I regularly get the impression that 70% of passengers in Alamo Shuttles are Germans... :D)

Speaking of "close to that": I did get the rate of a Yukon down to $591.52 (€450.92) including everything but fuel, PAI and Roadside Assistance when booking prepaid with CDP 763130 (Hertz Global Sale) on Hertz.de So that's a close rate, available to the public (not sure if you have to enter a German Address though). Particularly interesting if people want the insurances anyway.

AutoSlash Sep 17, 2012 6:56 am

Originally Posted by raph (Post 19328697)
Not quite. I am German and in Germany CDW is mandatory, so it's usually also applied to rentals abroad whenever I book from Germany or disclose me being German. If I have to book corporate rentals without CDW in Europe (American Company / Corp. card) they always make me sign additional disclaimers that I am fully liable etc. pp. and I have to pretend I am a US resident.

Thanks for the clarification. We've often seen that people booking abroad can get much better deals than US-based customers booking in the U.S.--especially if you need the insurance. In any case, the deal you found is quite good (at least as far as what's available to U.S. renters), so I'd stick with it. :)

yuchung5 Sep 17, 2012 7:01 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 19320056)
I'm seeing $405.40 with Hertz for a compact with the AAA CDP and PC code 172454.

Note that Budget has a deal on compacts which almost halves the price to $212.15.

Thanks a lot. It is a good rate for Budget.
Is it safe/ok to use that BCD? Is that for public?

AutoSlash Sep 17, 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by yuchung5 (Post 19329163)
Thanks a lot. It is a good rate for Budget.
Is it safe/ok to use that BCD? Is that for public?

Yes that is a Budget BCD available to anyone (click here to see details).

Note that in this thread, we will only list discounts codes available to the general public, and if there are specific membership requirements, they will be clearly stated so nobody is surprised at the rental counter.