Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Hansie
Pickup Location: LAS (Las Vegas McCarran International Airport)
Dropoff Location: same
Pickup Date and Time: 8 NOV 12 - 11:00am
Return Date and Time: 17 NOV 12 - 5:00pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Compact - Intermediate
Memberships: AAA-NRMA(74155); Qantas; Virgin Australia; UA; KL, ...

thanks
Using your dates and preferences, here's what I found:

AAA-74155:
ECAR: $204.67 pay-now
CCAR: $208.63 pay-now
ICAR: $222.51 pay-now
Note: Pay-later rates are on average $60+ more than pay-now rates; if you must pay later, use PC# 168210 with your reservation and it will only be around $30 more.

Airline CDPs:
ECAR: $186.59 pay-now
CCAR: $190.15 pay-now
ICAR: $202.63 pay-now

Note: pay-later rates with PC# 168210 are on average $15-25 more than pay-now rates. These rates are still cheaper than PC-discounted pay-later AAA rates.

-J.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Pickup Location IAH:
Dropoff Location IAH:
Pickup Date and Time: NOV 12, 12 PM
Return Date and Time NOV 13, 12 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Anything
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA, AAA, AMEX, AARP, UA, AA, Hertz Gold

Thanks for your time.
Note that Hertz Gold is itself not a CDP, unless you meant Gold Family @:-) In my findings I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation. Unfortunately I don't know of any promotion codes that work on one-day weekday rentals (trust me I'd love to find one!); if you use an airline CDP you may want to check and see if they have any PCs which earn you bonus miles. By "AMEX" are you referring to the base Amex Cardmember CDP # 1889146 (which I just discovered exists tonight)? Since you didn't have a vehicle preference, I didn't include any rates that were over $130. Using the information you provided, here's what I found:

USAA CDP:
ECAR: $80.62
CCAR: $83.13
ICAR: $85.73
SCAR: $88.28
FCAR: $88.28
PCAR: $101.06
LCAR: $113.85
SFAR: $113.85
MVAR: $126.62

AAA HQ, Amex Cardmember, AARP, and Airline CDPs:
ECAR: $86.39 pay-now
CCAR: $87.30 pay-now
ICAR: $90.99 pay-now
SCAR: $94.67 pay-now
FCAR: $94.67 pay-now
PCAR: $121.34 pay-now

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Note that Hertz Gold is itself not a CDP, unless you meant Gold Family @:-) In my findings I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation. Unfortunately I don't know of any promotion codes that work on one-day weekday rentals (trust me I'd love to find one!); if you use an airline CDP you may want to check and see if they have any PCs which earn you bonus miles. Since you didn't have a vehicle preference, I didn't include any rates that were over $130. Using the information you provided, here's what I found:

USAA CDP:
ECAR: $80.62
CCAR: $83.13
ICAR: $85.73
SCAR: $88.28
FCAR: $88.28
PCAR: $101.06
LCAR: $113.85
SFAR: $113.85
MVAR: $126.62

AAA HQ and Airline CDPs:
ECAR: $86.39 pay-now
CCAR: $87.30 pay-now
ICAR: $90.99 pay-now
SCAR: $94.67 pay-now
FCAR: $94.67 pay-now
PCAR: $121.34 pay-now

-J.
Thanks for your efforts. Under the "Discount/CDP/Club Code" it states "#1 Club Discount Program". Figured that was my Hertz Gold discount code. Right now I am leaning towards skipping the rental. $ 70.00-80.00 for one day, actually just for one afternoon is a hefty price to pay. Last week I paid $ 19.00 at LAX for a day, much more reasonable.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
(slightly modified by jzweighaft)
Pickup Location LAX
Dropoff Location LAX
Pickup Date and Time: 20 December 2012 19:00
Return Date and Time: 31 December 2012 12:00
Vehicle Size Preference: ICAR
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): USAA, The Automobile Association. - CDP 717271, Saga CDP 720421, Hertz Europe (758671), Airlines: NZ/DL
===========
Best rate I've found is using CDP 758671 £294 for Intermediate Corolla or similar (approx. $471.20)
I added the Hertz Europe Ltd. CDP to your list since you gave us a rate in which you used it. I'm happy to tell you that I've beaten the rate you got Here's what I found:

USAA CDP: $430.47 pay-now, $468.39 pay-later w/ PC# 168210 ($5/day, up to $35/wk)
Auto Assoc. CDP: $454.45 pay-now, $478.54 pay-later w/ PC# 175221 ($5/day, up to $25/wk)*
Saga CDP: $454.45 pay-now
Hertz Europe CDP: $481.67, $456.67(?) w/ PC# 175221*
Airline CDPs: $430.47 pay-now, $473.50 pay-later w/ PC# 168210

*Note: I found PC# 175221 in a couple of posts in the coupon thread (see replies #287 and 288); per reply #287, it works ^ One thing I noticed however was that only with the Hertz Europe CDP did the final rate not show; that for sure is a red flag.

-J.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Thanks for your efforts. Under the "Discount/CDP/Club Code" it states "#1 Club Discount Program". Figured that was my Hertz Gold discount code. Right now I am leaning towards skipping the rental. $ 70.00-80.00 for one day, actually just for one afternoon is a hefty price to pay. Last week I paid $ 19.00 at LAX for a day, much more reasonable.
It's because it's a weekday. During weekends, you can use the FRDM RQ and enjoy those super-low rates ($14+ per day). If you could move your entire rental a day ahead (Sunday to Monday) then you could save a lot of money (I often pay only $17/day for decent cars at my neighborhood HLE on weekends).

-J.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:56 pm

It's because it's a weekday. During weekends, you can use the FRDM RQ and enjoy those super-low rates ($14+ per day). If you could move your entire rental a day ahead (Sunday to Monday) then you could save a lot of money (I often pay only $17/day for decent cars at my neighborhood HLE on weekends).

-J.
I have a 18 hour layover at IAH coming in from SIN and continuing to SJU. So unfortunately nothing I can shift around. Better luck next time.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sthubbar
Thank you for this. This trip should already be registered on AutoSlash, so let's see how humans do versus machine.

Pickup Location: HNL (Honolulu)
Dropoff Location: HNL (same)
Pickup Date and Time: Feb 6, 2013 10:30am
Return Date and Time: Feb 16, 2013 8:30am
Vehicle Size Preference: Intermediate (smallest 4 door should be fine)
Memberships: Airline FFPs, Amex, Hertz Gold

Current
CDP Name : AUTOSLASH
Promotion Code (PC): 168210 ($35 off)

$466.31 - Vehicle Subtotal
$40.00 - Booster seat
$21.76 - Taxes
$528.07 - Total approximate charges
Heh, I didn't know AutoSlash had a CDP Where did you find PC# 168210? I remember using it many, many times in the past, but I had no idea it still worked. This isn't a bad PC and saves you up to $35. Also, is the $40 booster seat a benefit of the AutoSlash CDP? With Amex and airline CDPs the cost is higher ($83.93)

I included the booster seat cost in all of my research. The Amex CDP and different airline CDPs all yielded the same rates. Here's what I found:

ECAR: $534.09 pay-now, $562.02 w/ PC# 168210
CCAR: $546.79 pay-now, $576.98 w/ PC# 168210
ICAR: $559.52 pay-now, $591.94 w/ PC# 168210

Looks like you're best off sticking with the AutoSlash rate ^ $528 is a very good rate for a rental as long as yours, especially at HNL.

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:13 am

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Las Vegas
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): West Hollywood
Pickup Date and Time: 01/08/2012 - Anytime
Return Date and Time: 01/26/2012 - Anytime
Vehicle Size Preference: Midsize (Corolla)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, Qantas, AA, UA, JetBlue and will get AAA if worth it.

Also, just wondering as I'm a noob whether it generally works out cheaper to rent two smaller blocks with one-way dropoffs rather than the one big block?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:43 am

Using your dates and preferences, here's what I found:

AAA-74155:
ECAR: $204.67 pay-now
CCAR: $208.63 pay-now
ICAR: $222.51 pay-now
Note: Pay-later rates are on average $60+ more than pay-now rates; if you must pay later, use PC# 168210 with your reservation and it will only be around $30 more.

Airline CDPs:
ECAR: $186.59 pay-now
CCAR: $190.15 pay-now
ICAR: $202.63 pay-now

Note: pay-later rates with PC# 168210 are on average $15-25 more than pay-now rates. These rates are still cheaper than PC-discounted pay-later AAA rates.

-J.
No idea what you did to get them that low. Is there something not included like insurance or is the price different for non US residents?

please advise & thanks ^
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hansie
No idea what you did to get them that low. Is there something not included like insurance or is the price different for non US residents?

please advise & thanks ^
Ah... there may be a price difference for non-US residents. I was looking at the USA website (www.hertz.com); extra insurance, LDW, etc. is not included with any of these rates unless included with the CDP. Rumor has it the KLM CDP has LDW included, but I did not use that specific CDP # when I was checking rates; airline CDPs normally tend to all give the same rats, but the KLM one may be different since it may include LDW.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 30, 2012 at 2:18 pm
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Ah... there may be a price difference for non-US residents. I was looking at the USA website (www.hertz.com); extra insurance, LDW, etc. is not included with any of these rates unless included with the CDP. .

-- Thank you for finding that rate for me. == I'll look into it.

Yes, rates from the UK site include LDW. Sorry I should have mentioned that in my post. The USAA CDP turns LDW off, so I'd have to put LDW back in.

Our UK car insurance does not cover rental cars at all. (everything is different here)We have a USAA touring policy, but that only covers liability.

I do have a US credit card that may provide collision insurance. Have to check before I go with the USAA CDP.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:02 pm

I would appreciate any help you guys can provide; thank you!

Pickup Location: SMF/Sacramento (airport would be ideal, but am fine with going to a local place in the downtown Sacramento area if it's significantly cheaper)
Dropoff Location: SMF/Sacramento
Pickup Date and Time: November 29, 2012 at 3PM
Return Date and Time: December 05, 2012 at 3PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size, but I'm OK with going down to intermediate or compact if it significantly changes the price.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA AZ (CDP 2)

I usually like to go with Hertz (too many bad experiences with Enterprise), and the best price I could find for a local place (Sacramento Downtown HLE on 16th) is $143.99/week for an intermediate and $161.99/week for a full size. The best price I could find for SMF is $298.72/week for an intermediate Pay Now price and $314.79/week for a full size Pay Now price. ($336.46/week for intermediate Pay Later and $351.47/week for full size Pay Later).
Old Oct 30, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kylefunk
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Las Vegas
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): West Hollywood
Pickup Date and Time: 01/08/2012 - Anytime
Return Date and Time: 01/26/2012 - Anytime
Vehicle Size Preference: Midsize (Corolla)
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/etc): Hertz Gold, Qantas, AA, UA, JetBlue and will get AAA if worth it.

Also, just wondering as I'm a noob whether it generally works out cheaper to rent two smaller blocks with one-way dropoffs rather than the one big block?
I'm guessing you meant 2013 for your dates? Also, I wasn't sure which location in Las Vegas you meant, so in my findings I searched for pickup at LAS (McCarran Int'l) and return at the West Hollywood HLE. Since you mentioned you may join AAA, I searched for those rates as well; in my findings I used the generic AAA HQ CDP# 1; you may want to locate your specific CDP before making a reservation.

PC# 168210 saves you $5 per day, up to $35. All of the rates I came across include free unlimited mileage ^ Here's what I found:

No CDP or PC: $825.75
No CDP w/ PC# 168210: $786.55

Airline CDP w/o PC: $750.32
Airline CDP w/ PC# 168210: $715.75

AAA HQ CDP w/o PC: $726.33
AAA HQ CDP w/ PC# 168210: $691.75

The best AAA rate is only $24 less than an airline CDP rate with the same promo code. I don't know how much it costs to join AAA but it's a very small difference IMHO. If you plan to earn airline frequent flyer miles (and not Hertz Gold Rewards points) on this rental, I recommend sticking with your favorite airline's CDP and enjoying any bonus miles you may receive.

In general, two reservations is more expensive than one YMMV of course, but I think this would apply in your case.

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrbofus
I would appreciate any help you guys can provide; thank you!

Pickup Location: SMF/Sacramento (airport would be ideal, but am fine with going to a local place in the downtown Sacramento area if it's significantly cheaper)
Dropoff Location: SMF/Sacramento
Pickup Date and Time: November 29, 2012 at 3PM
Return Date and Time: December 05, 2012 at 3PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size, but I'm OK with going down to intermediate or compact if it significantly changes the price.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA AZ (CDP 2)

I usually like to go with Hertz (too many bad experiences with Enterprise), and the best price I could find for a local place (Sacramento Downtown HLE on 16th) is $143.99/week for an intermediate and $161.99/week for a full size. The best price I could find for SMF is $298.72/week for an intermediate Pay Now price and $314.79/week for a full size Pay Now price. ($336.46/week for intermediate Pay Later and $351.47/week for full size Pay Later).
As of October 10th:
  • Midsize = $129.86
  • Standard = $139.64
  • Full-size = $149.43
As of last Wednesday:
ICAR w/ PC# 175070: $134.75
SCAR w/ PC# 175070: $144.54
FCAR w/ PC# 175070: $154.33
Using the AAA AZ CDP, the best rates I could find were the same as the ones I found last week (see above). Until a new batch of promotion codes gets released, I don't think I'll be able to get the rate any lower than this. It may be worth another look after November 15th, at which point several of the currently advertised promotion codes expire (and hopefully new ones will be released ).

-J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 3:39 pm

Using the AAA AZ CDP, the best rates I could find were the same as the ones I found last week (see above). Until a new batch of promotion codes gets released, I don't think I'll be able to get the rate any lower than this. It may be worth another look after November 15th, at which point several of the currently advertised promotion codes expire (and hopefully new ones will be released ).

-J.
I posted a reply, but it doesn't look it went through, so if this ends up being a duplicate, my apologies.

jzweighaft, thank you! Also, my apologies for not seeing your earlier posts. I got an e-mail for this post, but I didn't get any notifications for your earlier posts.

Using CDP 2 and PC 175070, I'm showing $166.49 as the price. I wonder how you're able to see a cheaper price. I guess I will hold off for now and hope that a better rate will come around after November 15. Fingers crossed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.