Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: AutoSlash
Please follow this format when posting your request:
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode):
Pickup Date and Time:
Return Date and Time:
Vehicle Size Preference:
Home Country (if not USA):
Memberships (AAA/USAA/airline FFP/Amex Plat/Cent etc):
Best Price you've found, Hertz or otherwise:
More information can be found on the first page of this thread.

Additionally, you can save time by having AutoSlash generate a quote for you up-front by clicking here, or if you've already got a rental booked, just click here to enter your info and AutoSlash will check to see if a lower rate is available.

If you're looking for a specialty vehicle from Hertz (something from the Prestige/Adrenaline/Green Collections), it is helpful if you can specify the four-letter car size code (i.e. ICAR, MVAR, etc.) shown on the Hertz website for the specific vehicle you're looking for.

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS

New members who post any type of link will have their posts flagged for moderation by our spam filters. Unfortunately...
...this includes any links in quoted replies!
You can avoid our spam filters simply by not posting any links or quoting any links in your replies. This restriction applies to just your first two posts, so once you've posted a few times you can link away.

We are happy that this thread generates many new FlyerTalk members, and we hope you will stick around. By learning & sharing our knowledge freely, we all become better travelers. Hopefully some day you will be posting a reply, showing a new guy how to get a good rate.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! We are glad you are here.
Print Wikipost

The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 12:02 am

Hey all, I'll be making this rental pretty soon so any and all help will be appreciated!

Pickup Location: DSM, Iowa
Dropoff Location: DSM, Iowa
Pickup Date and Time: Oct 11th, 1430
Return Date and Time: Oct 16th, 1430
Vehicle Size Preference: F
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA

The best I was able to get so far:

Rate Details
5 weekend days at 25.40 USD 127.00 USD
Airport concession fee recovery 11.68 USD
Customer Facility Charge 13.75 USD
State rental tax 4.57 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 121.40 USD
Taxes 7.88 USD

Total Approximate Charge 129.28 USD

Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by jerleong
Hey all, I'll be making this rental pretty soon so any and all help will be appreciated!

Pickup Location: DSM, Iowa
Dropoff Location: DSM, Iowa
Pickup Date and Time: Oct 11th, 1430
Return Date and Time: Oct 16th, 1430
Vehicle Size Preference: F
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): USAA

The best I was able to get so far:

Rate Details
5 weekend days at 25.40 USD 127.00 USD
Airport concession fee recovery 11.68 USD
Customer Facility Charge 13.75 USD
State rental tax 4.57 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 121.40 USD
Taxes 7.88 USD

Total Approximate Charge 129.28 USD

Thank you!
That's not a bad rate. It's too bad you can't take advantage of FRDM since you're not returning until Tuesday. I was able to bring it down a few cents on a third party website (to $129.02) but what you have i think is the best you'll get. Book it -- and if it goes down between now and Thursday, rebook

-J.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
That's not a bad rate. It's too bad you can't take advantage of FRDM since you're not returning until Tuesday. I was able to bring it down a few cents on a third party website (to $129.02) but what you have i think is the best you'll get. Book it -- and if it goes down between now and Thursday, rebook

-J.
Hey jzweighaft! Thanks for the reply!

Yeah I know. Bummer about the FRDM/XCT1 rates but I really need the car until Tuesday. Oh well, it's not THAT much more.

Thanks again!
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:22 pm

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Woodstock Canton Road HLE (5064 Canton Road Woodstock, GA US 30066)
Pickup Date and Time: 10/16/12 - 10am
Return Date and Time: 10/30/12 -10am (flexible - see notes)
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Hertz Gold.

I'm moving out to that area and need a temporary car until I purchase one, so a couple weeks. The pick-up location & time isn't flexible really (9:30-10:30am), but the drop-off date can be extended if the drop-off time is 10am or earlier

This was my best rate I could find so far using Hertz Gold & PC#175070 ($30 off);
Rate Details
2 weeks at 167.26 USD 334.52 USD
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery 20.58 USD
ENERGY SURCHARGE 1.03 USD
Vehicle Subtotal 327.33 USD
Taxes 32.15 USD
Total Approximate Charge 359.48 USD

Last edited by spyder22; Oct 8, 2012 at 12:21 am Reason: Added a rate
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 10/16/12 - 5:30pm
Return Date and Time: 10/20/12 -12pm NOON
Vehicle Size Preference: Compact

I played around a bit with codes, but this seems pretty high!

Rate Details

4 days at 70.10 USD
280.40 USD

Airport concession fee recovery
31.37 USD
Customer Facility Charge
16.00 USD
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
1.99 USD

Vehicle Subtotal
329.76 USD

Taxes
52.76 USD

Total Approximate Charge
382.52 USD
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:32 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Charlotte Douglas International Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 10/16/12 - 5:30pm
Return Date and Time: 10/20/12 -12pm NOON
Vehicle Size Preference: Compact

I played around a bit with codes, but this seems pretty high!

Rate Details

4 days at 70.10 USD
280.40 USD

Airport concession fee recovery
31.37 USD
Customer Facility Charge
16.00 USD
Vehicle Licensing Cost Recovery
1.99 USD

Vehicle Subtotal
329.76 USD

Taxes
52.76 USD

Total Approximate Charge
382.52 USD
I see $272.97 total at $49/day using USAA CDP. I haven't found any coupons to work with it since it is charged as a daily rental.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:13 pm

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LIH Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 11/29/12 - 10:30pm
Return Date and Time: 11/29/12 -9:30pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Amex Platinum / Hertz gold / USAA

This is my first time booking a rental car, and I dont know how to find a good rate. I also notice the pay now rate is usually about 10$ below pay later rate. I tried to google the differences, but came up with mixed results. Are they both cancellable if I cancel a week before, or will one have fees?

Thank you!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:29 pm

I would appreciate any help you guys can provide; thank you!

Pickup Location: SMF/Sacramento (airport would be ideal, but am fine with going to a local place in the downtown Sacramento area if it's significantly cheaper)
Dropoff Location: SMF/Sacramento
Pickup Date and Time: November 29, 2012 at 3PM
Return Date and Time: December 05, 2012 at 3PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size, but I'm OK with going down to intermediate or compact if it significantly changes the price.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA AZ (CDP 2)

I usually like to go with Hertz (too many bad experiences with Enterprise), and the best price I could find for a local place (Sacramento Downtown HLE on 16th) is $143.99/week for an intermediate and $161.99/week for a full size. The best price I could find for SMF is $298.72/week for an intermediate Pay Now price and $314.79/week for a full size Pay Now price. ($336.46/week for intermediate Pay Later and $351.47/week for full size Pay Later).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: Northwest Worlperks, AirTran A+ Rewards
I definitely need some help with this one!

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Kalamazoo, MI (Stadium Drive HLE would work best, but if for whatever reason Kalamazoo Airport would be cheaper I can do that too)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Same
Pickup Date and Time: 12/13 4:00 PM
Return Date and Time: 12/21 12:00 PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Intermediate
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA MI, Car and Driver, could possibly use USAA

I need a rental for a driver who is 20, therefore need to use the PC code 144314 for the young driver discount, yet I can't seem to get it to work online.

Best I could manage to find is $174 $198.08 for the rental period (at the 25+ driver rate which would be the rate used after the PC code is applied)

Last edited by nwafan20; Oct 10, 2012 at 11:05 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by nwafan20

Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Kalamazoo, MI (Stadium Drive HLE would work best, but if for whatever reason Kalamazoo Airport would be cheaper I can do that too)

I need a rental for a driver who is 21, therefore need to use the PC code 144314 for the young driver discount, yet I can't seem to get it to work online.

Best I could manage to find is $174 for the rental period (at the 25+ driver rate which would be the rate used after the PC code is applied)
If no one has tackled this by the morning I'll try my hand at it, but if this is for an under 25 driver, if you qualify to use the USAA CDP, use it. It will allow you to use some other PCs to knock the price down (since USAA waives the underage fee automatically).
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by nwafan20

I need a rental for a driver who is 21, therefore need to use the PC code 144314 for the young driver discount, yet I can't seem to get it to work online.

Best I could manage to find is $174 for the rental period (at the 25+ driver rate which would be the rate used after the PC code is applied)
If you use the USAA, the age differential is waived (i.e., you do not need to use PC# 144314) and you can use a different PC. FWIW the rate does not change depending on how old you are -- if you are under $25, the age differential is added as a per-day fee (unless you use the USAA CDP). Also, many people (including myself) have seen that 144314 seems to raise the base rate. I thought AAA CDPs also waived the age differential but it appears that the Michigan one doesn't

USAA CDP + PC# 175070 = $169.46 all-in

If you're eligible to use the USAA CDP, then by all means do so.

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrbofus
I would appreciate any help you guys can provide; thank you!

Pickup Location: SMF/Sacramento (airport would be ideal, but am fine with going to a local place in the downtown Sacramento area if it's significantly cheaper)
Dropoff Location: SMF/Sacramento
Pickup Date and Time: November 29, 2012 at 3PM
Return Date and Time: December 05, 2012 at 3PM
Vehicle Size Preference: Ideally full size, but I'm OK with going down to intermediate or compact if it significantly changes the price.
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA AZ (CDP 2)

I usually like to go with Hertz (too many bad experiences with Enterprise), and the best price I could find for a local place (Sacramento Downtown HLE on 16th) is $143.99/week for an intermediate and $161.99/week for a full size. The best price I could find for SMF is $298.72/week for an intermediate Pay Now price and $314.79/week for a full size Pay Now price. ($336.46/week for intermediate Pay Later and $351.47/week for full size Pay Later).
I only looked at the Sacramento Downtown HLE since the airport is guaranteed to be higher. Using the AAA AZ CDP + PC# 175070:

• Midsize = $129.86
  • Standard = $139.64
  • Full-size = $149.43

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spicecake
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): LIH Airport
Pickup Date and Time: 11/29/12 - 10:30pm
Return Date and Time: 11/29/12 -9:30pm
Vehicle Size Preference: Any
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): Amex Platinum / Hertz gold / USAA

This is my first time booking a rental car, and I dont know how to find a good rate. I also notice the pay now rate is usually about 10$ below pay later rate. I tried to google the differences, but came up with mixed results. Are they both cancellable if I cancel a week before, or will one have fees?

Thank you!
You can't rent a car for negative 1 hours -- unless perhaps you're doing a one-way between two time zones and really plan on using the 29 minute grace period

Can you check your dates and times?

-J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spyder22
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Woodstock Canton Road HLE (5064 Canton Road Woodstock, GA US 30066)
Pickup Date and Time: 10/16/12 - 10am
Return Date and Time: 10/30/12 -10am (flexible - see notes)
Vehicle Size Preference: Standard

I'm moving out to that area and need a temporary car until I purchase one, so a couple weeks. The pick-up location & time isn't flexible really (9:30-10:30am), but the drop-off date can be extended if the drop-off time is 10am or earlier

This was my best rate I could find so far using Hertz Gold & PC#175070 ($30 off);
Hertz Gold is just the frequent renter reward program, there's no discount but it certainly does enhance the experience somewhat. Unless you meant the Gold Family CDP?

What rate did you get? Using PC# 175070 like you did (I guess) without a CDP, I got $405.96.

Are you a member of any airline frequent flier programs? Even if you're not, airline CDPs can be used by virtually anyone and are an easy way to bring down the rate. Using Delta's CDP #165385 and PC# 175070 I got the rate down to $367.99.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:20 pm

Programs: Northwest Worlperks, AirTran A+ Rewards
Originally Posted by roymustang
If no one has tackled this by the morning I'll try my hand at it, but if this is for an under 25 driver, if you qualify to use the USAA CDP, use it. It will allow you to use some other PCs to knock the price down (since USAA waives the underage fee automatically).
Thanks for the tip guys! The only concern is that the person that is a member of USAA might not be going on this trip, it's still up in the air at this time. What's the best that could be done without it? Now I'm only getting the cheapest at $195 >

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.