FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Official "Help me find a good rate with Hertz" CHALLENGE thread
Old Sep 23, 2012, 7:37 pm
AutoSlash
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by xylum
Pickup Location (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Ft. Lauderdale Airport (FLL)
Dropoff Location (if different) (airport, city, or ZIP code/postcode): Ft. Lauderdale Airport (FLL)
Pickup Date and Time: March 6th, 2013
Return Date and Time: March 13th, 2013
Vehicle Size Preference: Premium or Intermediate/Standard SUV
Memberships (AAA/USAA/etc): AAA/CAA (I'm Canadian), Hertz #1 Gold

I have noticed that on my dates, full sized vehicles are far cheaper than any other class and I don't understand the massive (almost $300) jump from a full size to an intermediate SUV. I know my travel dates are a bit into the future but if anyone can find a better price on one of these vehicles I would really appreciate it!

Also, I know that the full size class includes a chevrolet malibu or similar, but what features do these cars come with? Are they limited/upgraded models with added features like leather seats or a sunroof? If only some models have these features, is it usually possible to switch the vehicle at the last minute for one with better features (I have Hertz Gold so I don't think I go to the counter)?
For an Intermediate SUV, I'm seeing a rate of $620.42 with Hertz right now with AAA CDP, and a Standard SUV would be $640.51.

Note that Budget has a Standard SUV for $317.48 for your dates.

The answer to why the Intermediate SUV is so much more than the fullsize has nothing to do with the cost of the vehicle. It has to do with demand. Hertz charges more because they can. If they have too few SUV's on rent close to the pickup date, prices will drop like a rock. That's why many people track their rentals with AutoSlash.

Fullsize would typically be a Chevy Impala or similar. It's certainly possible to upgrade (FLL has Gold Choice which may have nicer vehicles), but it will likely come at a cost if nothing available in the Gold Choice area. A Premium car is more likely to have leather, Sirius, etc, but not guaranteed. Sunroofs are not common on the standard (non-luxury) models.

Last edited by AutoSlash; Jun 6, 2014 at 11:36 pm