Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:24 am

My Intro and quick bio

Mike/33/SJC

I'm a pretty active FT reader but not a huge poster, working on changing that. I do love to fly, but don't get to it nearly enough. I was a big AA follower until they abandoned SJC. I keep current on trends and stuff in the industry and am still hoping for one day to work in Corp Marketing or some sort of function for an airline. During college I had an almost one-year stint working for WN.

Thats the short version...would love to meet more FT'ers and be more involved.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 2:25 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz PC
Can I trouble you to update mine?

028 / Auracon / Sean / 23 / LAX / Los Angeles, CA

Old Oct 22, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Thanks for delurking, mikesairways! I hope you'll consider attending the SFO Gayla coming up in February.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by FlyBalletGuy
Thanks for delurking, mikesairways! I hope you'll consider attending the SFO Gayla coming up in February.
Thanks for the welcome - I will definitely try to keep that time open!
Old Oct 24, 2009, 3:18 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thomas/39/DUB

Quick updated copy of my entry in the "Who we all are" thread:

Time to share…

Well here it goes, my name is Thomas, 39 years old and I’m based in DUB and SNN (tend not to fly out of SNN though). I work in the public sector and have been a frequent traveller for most of my adult live. My very first flight was with Interflug (the old East German state airline) from SXB to SVO on a study trip to Moscow and Leningrad at the time. Return was on an old propeller aircraft operated by SU.

My flying took off in 1991 when I became active in international politics. Mainly European destinations out of TXL. I made LH FTL at tender age of 23 and became LH SEN at 24 and kept that for 13 years. In those days LH SEN’s were identified on board with a pin which was part of your welcome package to put on your lapel, no fancy codes on your BP then. Your card also acted as a form of credit card and you could book flights with LH directly with an invoice sent to you some weeks later, how times have changed. LH SENs also had their own account manager. I still have some friends who work as lounge dragons in FRA from those days. Then they had a lot less customers and they remembered you.

Moved to YYZ in 1994 and was regularly on LH’s TATL service to FRA and onwards (the first route to introduce non smoking flights unfortunately but that is another story). In those day occasionally you would still get LH's DC 10 before they converted it to a freighter. Great aircraft!

1995 relocated to DUB and more European flights. Memorable flying moments I have many, among those an aborted take off on LH at YYZ (like a roller coaster ride) and without a doubt the most memorable was being involuntarily rerouted by LH on a DUB-FRA-JFK booking onto DUB-LHR-JFK on Concorde!!! holding an economy class ticket. The LH staff member who did this for me (accidentally) almost lost her job over this and LH had to pay BA the difference (FIM (Flight Interruption Manual) or no FIM, I had one by the way). One the return EWR-FRA-DUB I used miles to upgrade into C and they bumped me up to F. Not a bad old trip at all.

After a lull in my flying programme and having been downgraded to LH FTL I changed over to BD’s Diamond Club and have been BD*G for 4 years. Not surprisingly I have a preference for *A though I fly EI and others a bit intra European, though NEVER on that joke of an airline FR.

These days my main destinations are European and US, especially GVA and regular trips to NYC and IAD. Known to do the occasional mileage run in C or F to Florida if needed. If you live in Ireland a bit of sun is welcome. Other than that a week’s boating around Ibiza is always good.

Favourite hotel chain is Sofitel. I have a thing for that French flair. Though it is a bit worrying if they tell you that you spent 70 nights a year with them alone. Not counting other hotels. Second has been Hilton purely because of international availability.

Fell free to PM me if you want to know more.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, QR Gold, IHG Gold
Raymond / 31 / YYZ/HKG / Toronto/Hong Kong

Hello, I just joined FT very recently and am learning a ton from the wealth of information here I moved from HKG to YYZ last year but still spend a significant amount of time there (3 months out of a year?). I work in film, and the strange nature of my job means that I travel quite a lot (in economy mostly, alas). I travel to Europe (Paris, Berlin, London, Brussels, Rotterdam/Amsterdam, etc.) twice a year and Asia 2-3 times (most of SE Asia and Beijing/Seoul).

For years I fly mostly just with CX because I was based in HK. While CX has had its ups and downs, but overall I've been very happy with them, since even with only CX Silver I get lounge access and op-ups (especially on that YYZ-HKG flight!). But now that I'm in YYZ mostly, I will have to diversify because alas Oneworld just doesn't have as many flight options. YYZ-CDG direct is non-existent on OW, for example... Plus, I lost my CX Gold so am now back to Silver.

Hotel-wise, I have Priority Club and will most likely just stick with them for a simple reason - they have the widest network of hotels around the world. I have stayed at Sheratons, Marriotts and others (and even enrolled in their programs), but the amount of choices the IHG group has, especially in Asia, makes it really ideal (especially for those Pointbreak redemptions!). I just wish they have a chain in Rotterdam!

I joined FT primarily to figure out which *A program I should join to complement my CX, but decided to stick around since it's been really informative! If it wasn't for FT I wouldn't have CO's Silver status match.

I just came back from a fantastic trip to Brazil (Rio and Sao Paulo). Off to NYC this Thursday for a break, using my new CO Silver account. Wish me luck!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 3:54 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Apologies for belated greetings to both starflyergold and Werckmeister. Thank you both for the detailed introductions, please stick around and participate.

Werckmeister, I just took my first flight on CX (JFK-YVR) in economy as well. I've benefited from Asia Miles for a long time; I figured it was about time I actually flew on CX!
Old Nov 6, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
And flyballetguy how was your trip on CX?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Thought I had posted in this thread before, but not sure why I didn't get listed in post # 2 or # 3.

If they missed me, I would once state myself once again.

Kevin / 29 / ORD, HKG / Chicago and Hong Kong

Been flown between these two cities since I was a baby. My parents were cheap, so I was flown between these two cities on NW til 1998. (PA or later UA were always expensive)(Flown many many times on NW 3/4/17/18)

Dec 1998, my first UA flight got me hooked with UA. I purchased H class fare for ORD-NRT-HKG, got op up to C as a no status pax on 744OP (3 versions of 744 at that time, OA/OB/OP, OA is the one with Y start from door 2, OP is the one with C go all the way to door 4)

Star flier mostly, especially UA, ORD is my new home and HKG is my old home, UA fit perfectly for this two bases, been UA*G for a number of years now. MP has been good to me from the beginning, got me to many F award trips, so far have done F on UA, OZ (2), NH, and SQ, all my F awards were spent between ORD and HKG as well.

Hotel programs are all mostly Hilton family, some Priority Club properties as well. I choose these two just for one main reason, yes I am a smoker. Only these two chains still have smoking rooms. (Choice and Wyndam still has, but I am not too interested in their hotels) Starwood and Marriott had banned smoking in all their properties.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:12 am

David/28/YYC, Calgary

Hey all, haven't posted much but have gotten a ton of information from the site. I'm heading out on a 3 month trip to SE Asia in the middle of December, counting down the days!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:24 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Welcome David (ds1277)!!!!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
My name is Brent and I live in Sydney (obviously) and work in IT for the NSW State Government here in Sydney. Am originally from NZ. Have been on FT since 2002.

I have travelled fairly extensively since I was 18. My first big trip was when i was 18 on Air New Zealand DC10.

I have family on Los Angeles so make two trips a year (summer and Xmas). Just love LA - kind of reminds me of Sydney. I also make 2 trips to NZ each year.

I fly exclusively on Air New Zealand- fantastic airline. That wonderful NZ Lounge at LAX seems like second home at times.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:43 pm

Welcome Brent (MrSydney)!!!!!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: CO, UA, SPG
Matt / 23 / WAS

I work to travel (and occasionally travel for work). I was so young when I took my first flight that I don't remember it. Now I fly only about once a month, so it goes without saying that I have peon status with my FF program. I'm working on it, though!

Only flown in F a few times: once was an upgrade for taking a bump, once was because a friend who was Chairman's Preferred with US had a companion upgrade, and once was because I was enticed by the check-in kiosk to fork over an extra $50.

Craziest flying experience was when I flew LPB-RBQ (Rurrenabaque, Bolivia) on a Bolivian Air Force Fokker F27. Half of the seats were broken, and there were motorcycles parked in the front of the cabin. We landed on a dirt airstrip with a mountain at the end of it.

Scariest flying experience was a short hop IND-SDF on a 737. It was a hot summer day, and the brakes didn't have a chance to cool off. Fire trucks met us on the runway. Later, reading FT forums, I see that this is not that uncommon.

I'm mostly a lurker. I don't feel that I have enough expertise to contribute to most threads! Everyone here is so knowledgeable!
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:07 pm

Welcome stndrdSDF!!!! Don't hesitate to post though - that's how you learn and later on give back to future newbies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.