Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll Call Thread Part III - Including Maps of Our Locations in 1st Post

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: NZ, QF
S.w. / 33 / doh

Just read this meaningful tread which talks about FT themselves

I'm S.W., gent, 33 years old, a chinese born and educated in HK. I'm a project manager. My work (present and past) have taken me to quiet a few places on earth and I'm now living in DOH. But the fact that my kiwi partner is living & teaching in NZ means I'm commuting between DOH and AKL quite frequently.

Greate to find this forum, esp. with a dedicated GTBL section

Last edited by KeepDiscovering; May 7, 2010 at 4:09 am
Old Apr 23, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Glad you found us, S.W.; I think you'll find there's a strong contingent of H.K. ex-pats here.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM , Marriott Amb, Hyatt D, HH D, Hertz PC
Hi everyone. My name is Jim, I am 47, a lifelong Chicagoan and, like others here, suffer from incurable wanderlust I am aided and abetted by Mark, my partner of 11 years. My home airport is, of course, ORD and I am fiercely loyal to United, my hometown airline. We love Chicago but have an insatiable desire to see the world so we're off and running at least half the month. When I am home I build small mixed use projects in and around the Bucktown and Wicker Park neighborhoods. I love the Cubs and Blackhawks, collect vintage travel posters and go to antique shows and flea markets around the country buying and selling vintage ephemera. Thanks to everyone I have met on FT for being so kind and welcoming. I have lurked (and learned) here for many years and have finally decided to join in the fun.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 8:32 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Welcome to posting - jchiguy1!!!!!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, jetBlue, Honors Diamond
Scott / 36 / MEM / Memphis

I must explore FT a bit more; I had no idea this forum was here. I'm Scott (guess you got that) and I'm currently in MEM (probably gathered that too) though will be moving to NYC in mid-June. My partner of 13 years is relocating with his job and I'm taking this opportunity to quit working in marketing communications and go to nursing school.

We love to travel when we can, wherever we can. That will probably be cut back a bit with me going back to school, but at least we'll have lots of great options out of NYC when we do decide to hit the road.

Last edited by ScottinMEM; Apr 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm
Old Apr 30, 2010, 1:43 pm

Welcome ScottinMEM!!!!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Hey Scottinmem- Let us know when you're settled. We've got several FTers here in NYC and we get together every now and then. And if you've never been to Gay Pride here, which is always the last Sunday in June, you had better fasten your seatbelt!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, jetBlue, Honors Diamond
Thanks, wired! Should be there sometime around June 15 so we will be in time for our first NYC pride experience. Will let you know once we've actually made it...really excited for the MEM-NYC trip in the U-haul with four animals.
Old May 8, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SW, IHG, Marriott
I'm joining the roll call too in an attempt to explore the non-awards bits of FT. Thanks to Comicwoman for the kind reception in the "L" thread!

I'm coming up on 25, and I live with my partner in Iowa City, IA, which is a short jog south from CID (and not far from MLI, either). We also hit up the Chicago area on a regular basis, and I'd love to meet some of the ORD-based FTers - our closest airports are so small that O'Hare is pretty much the only realistic option price-wise.

We're strictly leisure travelers at this point; we spent two weeks in London in March and we're looking to earn enough miles for an award trip to somewhere special.

I'm glad I finally ventured out of the miles and bonuses section - it's like I discovered a whole new forum! Can't wait until I can go to my first FT do.
Old May 8, 2010, 6:39 am

Welcome newgeneration - my partner was in Iowa City for 2 years also (but you were like 12 then ).
Old May 10, 2010, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, SW, IHG, Marriott
Ha ha! Yeah, I wouldn't have been here yet - I'm one of those people who showed up to go to college and didn't want to leave. Thank you for the warm welcome.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: A shadow of my former self
David / 39 / SYR / Syracuse, NY

Hi everybody. Love the idea of doing an update.

I'm 39 now and live in Syracuse. My husband and I have been together since 2000 and got married in July 2008. He is just finishing his Ph.D. and will begin a post-doc fellowship here at Syracuse University in the fall, en route to a tenure track faculty position somewhere in the next couple of years.

I do fundraising for the university, so most of my paid travel is for work, visiting donors all over the world. It's a fantastic job, spending time with people as they consider how to make the world better. I'll be in HKG June 9-12 if anyone's around. I also sing in our local symphony chorus and volunteer with other nonprofits.

I switched from US Airways to Continental as soon as CO announced it was joining Star. Husband & I love to go on vacation, using miles for anything farther than the West Coast or Europe. Our next big trip is Vietnam via OZ and LH in F... the last few years have seen us in South Africa, Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, New Zealand, and throughout Europe.

Long live FT!
David

Last edited by IndyDavid; May 19, 2010 at 12:46 pm Reason: eschewing acronyms
Old May 19, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Priceline Titanium
Thanks for the update, IndyDavid! Isn't it odd when you've been on Flyertalk a number of years to think where the the time has taken you - not just in terms of miles!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
USirritated/Andy/50ish/FLL/Fort Lauderdale, FL

I guess that I am a little bit late in finding this thread, after being on FT since 2007, but here goes nothing......

USirritated/Andy/50ish/FLL/Fort Lauderdale, FL (also, I'm single --> YUCK!)

I travel a lot for business and as much as I am able to for pleasure, but I must admit that my pleasure travel has been curtailed by the recession and my personal business slowdown since 2006. I've been making frequent trips to/from Montgomery, AL (MGM, sometimes through ATL) due to owning property in Montgomery, and now working on a large development project there too. I visit Baltimore and Washington, DC (usually via DCA) anywhere from 4-8 times per year for both business and pleasure (I was born in DC, grew up in Baltimore), and I am usually in Cali 2-4 times per year too. I have yet to enjoy any of the GLBT DO's/Gaylas, unfortunately, but I have participated in three GENERAL DO's so far, the "New Years DO in NYC, Monday February 1st" (with lots of talk about the StarMegaDO I & II), "Delta Mini-DO" (ATL) May 24-25, and "Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do" and just yesterday I signed up for the StarMegaDO II which includes travel to JFK, FRA, IAH, PHX, and PAE/SEA over a SIX DAY PERIOD, just for that DO! I am excited! I would love to participate in a GLBT DO/Gayla sometime soon!

I fly DL almost exclusively since 2008, except for occasional codeshares, and I'll be burning off my old US miles (using LH) on the JFK/FRA leg of StarMegaDO II this November. I haven't enjoyed international partners since a trip to Asia with some travel on SQ and TG, but I'd like to sample more international airlines, and of course I LOVED SQ! I usually do a mileage run or two per year, and sometimes take out of the way routings to pick up extra miles.

I've been Marriott Platinum since 1995, with the exception of 2 years, now approaching Lifetime status. I've had my USAirways Plat MC since 1999 (started as BOA US Visa, but BOA sold the portfolio to Barclays MC a year ago), from old days with US. I'm also trying to get my Chase Plat Visa converted to a Chase Marriott Rewards Plat Visa, but Chase isn't being too cooperative. I stay almost exclusively with Marriott brands, except when I don't have a choice, plus once per year with Hilton to keep up my account/points with HHonors. I mix my stays between FS, Select Service, and Limited Service hotels, and pursue my points with a gusto, using all the promos I can.

I've been Avis Chairman's Club about 15 months, and love it, for convenience, time and money saving, and great upgrades. I recommend it to anyone, ask me if you want to know more.

I would love to meet GLBT people wherever I go, so by all means, say HOWDY! Also, I have been thinking of arranging a South Florida DO, maybe for GLBT FTers, so anyone interested, please send me a message.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
.. "Visit A Nation's Capital Do - May 7-9 (2010) a DC-Do" ...

I would love to meet GLBT people wherever I go, so by all means, say HOWDY! Also, I have been thinking of arranging a South Florida DO, maybe for GLBT FTers, so anyone interested, please send me a message.
Welcome USirritated!!! We sat next to you at lunch at Hillwood in DC!!!

Actually the first GLBT Do (Gayla) was in FLL way back when - there was another one a few years later (unfortunately we missed that one since we were in Alaska). If you want to arrange one - please do and I'd be more than happy to help out (having either hosted or co-hosted PSP for the last 7 years).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.