Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:34 am

Programs: AY Gold
Originally Posted by Unsub
I have flown the first segment. Any experience on how this goes before I queue up for CS?
Below is my experience pre-covid. Let us know how it goes for you.

Originally Posted by Antx
I can tell you that the one time I was in this situation, I was told that they calculate it in the back office only, and only if you already have decided to cancel, and thus they cannot let you know the refundable value before you make the decision to cancel or not. This was from the regular CS to a gold customer, might be different for others.
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by Unsub
I have flown the first segment. Any experience on how this goes before I queue up for CS?
They will refund "50%", but it's not exactly half of what you paid. Taxes aren't similar per direction, and the ticket price itself may wary, too, especially if you have different fare bases. YQ is usually split 50/50.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:55 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Are you sure it was not February or March?
March indeed.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by kauppias
seems rather dishonest of AY to say cash refunds take 1month but if you take a voucher they do it in a day 😆
That's not what's happening. Maybe it takes a day to get the voucher from CS phone line, but takes much more than that (and counting) from the refund form.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
just got an email that my BLQ-HEL-CAN-HEL-BLQ flight for June has been cancelled. It says at the moment they can't offer me any other flights. As this was the 500Euro super biz sale, I would prefer new dates to a refund. Any idea how far in the future they will allow rebooking? Would they let me push to spring '21?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Any idea how far in the future they will allow rebooking? Would they let me push to spring '21?
At the moment you can push it to November 2020 but if the situation is still the same on November I assume we can push our travel even further. Push it now as far as you can and ”hope” that you can push it even further. I really hope this doesn’t last too long and I could travel again on July!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
BLQ is a seasonal so it can't be pushed to november as the schedule ends earlier.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tulokas
At the moment you can push it to November 2020 but if the situation is still the same on November I assume we can push our travel even further. Push it now as far as you can and ”hope” that you can push it even further. I really hope this doesn’t last too long and I could travel again on July!
Travel isn't until June. No need for action now right? I can just let it sit until closer in?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
just got an email that my BLQ-HEL-CAN-HEL-BLQ flight for June has been cancelled. It says at the moment they can't offer me any other flights. As this was the 500Euro super biz sale, I would prefer new dates to a refund. Any idea how far in the future they will allow rebooking? Would they let me push to spring '21?
You can:
- refund now
- select new dates, 30NOV is the last possible return date
- ditch BLQ and have the ticket rewrittern for only HEL-HKG-HEL, 30NOV is the last possible return date
- do nothing and wait, as there could be new waivers in place in June
Old Mar 31, 2020, 9:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ffay005
You can:
- refund now
- select new dates, 30NOV is the last possible return date
- ditch BLQ and have the ticket rewrittern for only HEL-HKG-HEL, 30NOV is the last possible return date
- do nothing and wait, as there could be new waivers in place in June
I suppose I will wait for now. I have no idea if/when I will be able to travel. Doesn't seem worth changing now to change again later. IF I moved it to HEL-HKG-HEL would they honor the original price or charge me fare difference?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by ffay005
Is this really an option?
At least I as a platinum basic has been told that no change of O/D is allowed.

OCT 07 is last day of scheduled operations to BLQ. Thus it can't be postoned to NOV 30 even if the general waiver allows that.

One reason to not sit and wait is that without pax opting to postpone, the loads will look even lower than they actually are with the distinct possibility that BLQ gets cancelled for the entire season.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 10:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by intuition
Is this really an option?
At least I as a platinum basic has been told that no change of O/D is allowed.

OCT 07 is last day of scheduled operations to BLQ. Thus it can't be postoned to NOV 30 even if the general waiver allows that.

One reason to not sit and wait is that without pax opting to postpone, the loads will look even lower than they actually are with the distinct possibility that BLQ gets cancelled for the entire season.
I know of a few who did exactly this, rebook to HEL-HKG return that is.
ffay005 likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Ok, when I search BLQ-HEL in Expedia after Oct 7 I see plenty of alternatives.

Moreover, article 8c) has no time limit. You have the right of tree rebooking at a time in the future at your leisure.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by florens
I know of a few who did exactly this, rebook to HEL-HKG return that is.
Good to know.
The only one I know of succeeding with that is a Premium Plat.

Originally Posted by warakorn
Ok, when I search BLQ-HEL in Expedia after Oct 7 I see plenty of alternatives.
Really? Matrix sees none .
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
Good to know. The only one I know of succeeding with that is a Premium Plat.
I guess I must be Premium Plat, too, or maybe I had good luck with Janica. I asked to drop the BLQ segments, and it was okay, as I was supposed to fly in June, but BLQ is cancelled, and I wanted to fly in October, and BLQ is no longer operating. Then the HEL-HKG-HEL part was reissued on my dates of choice and she even promised a partial refund (of taxes?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.