Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Old Apr 23, 2020, 10:45 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Just noticed, that one of my pending requests was refunded to my credit card even I chose the voucher. Well, not actually complaining. That's also fine with me. Sent the request late March, so it took about a month. One older request is still pending.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SAN_Finn
Still have not seen a refund on cancellation from Feb 17th.
This came through yesterday finally so just under 10 weeks.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
As a data point, I cancelled an AirBnB booking, the money was back on my CC within 12 hours - and that's because of AX FIN. ABnB confirmed within the hour that they credited back the money. I don't think that ABnB has less cancelled bookings than AY...
I've cancelled/rebooked 36 bookings so far. AirBnB is clearly the best of the bunch - 5 cancellations, all with basically immediate refunds. Guess they pay the home owners only close to the stay. Also been lucky with the Accor hotels, refund processed by the hotels on the day of contact. There are also opposite experiences on their forum.

Longest waiting times from airBaltic and easyJet, been waiting 5 weeks for both.

With Finnair, I just postponed my trips to the end of the year, been pretty happy with that.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
This whole CC refund thing is quite funny. For example when you check into a hotel they usually reserve $50-150 for incidentals during the stay and after check-out release the funds. However, usually the charge shows up to 1 week after.

I had a opposite experience in Hyatt Centric Key West 2 months ago. I used my SEB AY card which has the Spendwise App and about 20 seconds after leaving the front desk after check-out I got a notification of a cancelled transaction of the incidentals.

So it's definatately doable almost real-time if there is a will to do it.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have now close to 1k€ waiting for refunds - Pori Jazz, EZY, AY... luckily the money is not needed for daily bread, but I really don't think I should finance businesses. After all, I bought/paid the tix months ahead, so they already used my monies for months
Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
cancelled online about 7 weeks ago, was told it would be 1 month,

will dispute on credit card if no refund by the end of the week.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA BA
We are trying to get refunds for two seats selections on Finnair flights reserved through one world code share. Finnair cancelled the flight, so we are just trying to get refunds for the two seat selections for which we paid Finnair directly on the phone with their customer service in the United States. Finnair's automatically generated confirmation email acknowledgement of our refund request said that Finnair would take eight weeks to refund our money for the seat selections. Given that this is for a flight that Finnair cancelled, albeit understandably given the corona virus pandemic, eight weeks seems like a long time to wait for a refund of seat selection charges for the cancelled flight.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by Seaotter219
We are trying to get refunds for two seats selections on Finnair flights reserved through one world code share. Finnair cancelled the flight, so we are just trying to get refunds for the two seat selections for which we paid Finnair directly on the phone with their customer service in the United States. Finnair's automatically generated confirmation email acknowledgement of our refund request said that Finnair would take eight weeks to refund our money for the seat selections. Given that this is for a flight that Finnair cancelled, albeit understandably given the corona virus pandemic, eight weeks seems like a long time to wait for a refund of seat selection charges for the cancelled flight.
I do understand the frustration, but i dare say that there is no good reason to put seat selection refunds in front of the refund queue.
nivsy and remymartin like this.
Old May 4, 2020, 6:47 am
np1

Just as datapoint. My Xian flight (total 3 pax) was cancelled on 1st of April and during that same day I send the refund form. Refund issued for credit card on 28th of April, so much faster than estimated 8 weeks.
Also I cancelled my ticket on last Havana flight and asked for a voucher I got it in about 1 hour. So far travelstart+ Air China has been fastest for refund (1 week) at beginning of March, then Finnair. Then I've a ticket bought from Mytrip which seems to suffer from Indian government restrictions. Call center closed and not much replies for contacts through form after 1 month..
Old May 4, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Another datapoint:

Flight cancelled and refund requested 26/March, refund received 18/April (just noticed on the CC account) - 3 weeks, kudos!
Old May 4, 2020, 12:28 pm

Programs: Various
I requested a refund the day before that. Still nothing.
Old May 4, 2020, 7:58 pm

I have a refund outstanding since 09 March, the advise from Finnair CS is to be "patient and understanding", and "all refunds are being processed in the order that they are being received". This is clearly not true.
Fredrik74, florens and esledo like this.
Old May 5, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE)
I requested a refund 22nd March and have not received the refund yet.
Old May 5, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: AY+
Multiple refunds pending since the end of March, none refunded yet. I was told that the processing time would be approximately one month and I do understand the current situation, but nonetheless getting a bit annoyed.
Also wondering when will Finnair start to cancel flights for July/August - and what will the processing time be for those flights.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by AndyA
I requested a refund 22nd March and have not received the refund yet.
Same here. I have now initiated a chargeback with the credit card company. I was told it takes 4 weeks and it has been 6 weeks now. I am not any longer giving AY an interest free loan.

Will be interesting to see what the EU will decide regarding this:

https://www.euronews.com/2020/04/29/...s-for-cancelle

A majority of EU states back a move calling on Brussels to temporarily suspend a European law granting refunds for cancelled flights, Euronews understands.
Twelve governments urged the European Commission to suspend rules forcing airlines to offer full refunds instead of vouchers for future travel. France and the Netherlands spearheaded the push, which came during a meeting of European transport ministers on Wednesday.
The other countries behind the request were Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Ireland, Latvia, Malta, Poland and Portugal. Euronews has been told that four more countries -- Germany, Spain, Romania and Estonia have added their voices in support.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.