Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Gold
Flights will be cancelled. I have points business upgrades, am I expecting too much to get those points back as well?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:34 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by FinExplorer
Flights will be cancelled. I have points business upgrades, am I expecting too much to get those points back as well?
You will get them back, email to CS will do.
FinExplorer likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I have a flight within 14 days that hasn't been cancelled yet - is EU/261 applicable? A general notice "we'll cancel the majority of our flights" is not a cancellation. The app still shows "departure in 13 days" - which I'm 100% won't happen as the destination is not on the list of published destinations that they'll continue flying to.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Flight officially cancelled, AY email just came. I spent 2h on hold w AY earlier and didn’t get through. Any way to process refund?
Yeah, received the cancellation message as well.
Now, I'm hoping that the refund (including the two segments that should have brought me to the US in the first place (FRA-LHR on BA, LHR-JFK on AA with an AY flight number), all booked through Finnair) will be processed properly.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:33 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo (LTG), LH SEN
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I have a flight within 14 days that hasn't been cancelled yet - is EU/261 applicable? A general notice "we'll cancel the majority of our flights" is not a cancellation. The app still shows "departure in 13 days" - which I'm 100% won't happen as the destination is not on the list of published destinations that they'll continue flying to.
The whole pandemic thing has been declared extraordinary circumstance, so no EU/261. My flights during the next 4 weeks, that certainly will not take off are still shown in my app as well. It's even possible to change seats. We have to wait for their cancelation message, though as otherwise, when we cancel instead, there will be no refund, but just a voucher.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:48 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
I cancelled flights and requested the gift vouchers, but in 2 days, have not yet received them. Any experiences how long it takes to get the vouchers?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:05 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
Originally Posted by Post Scriptum
I cancelled flights and requested the gift vouchers, but in 2 days, have not yet received them. Any experiences how long it takes to get the vouchers?
Janica said 1-7 days on the phone for vouchers.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: AY Lumo, AF Platinum
3 times I have requested vouchers in the past 2 weeks and it took about 3-5 days each.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by FlyeBye
The whole pandemic thing has been declared extraordinary circumstance, so no EU/261. My flights during the next 4 weeks, that certainly will not take off are still shown in my app as well. It's even possible to change seats. We have to wait for their cancelation message, though as otherwise, when we cancel instead, there will be no refund, but just a voucher.
Alright, I'll sit tight and wait for the cancellation - I prefer hard cash to vouchers. (and managed to do the refund tricks on BA as well, let's see how long it takes them to refund the Avios and the co-payment. Small beer, but still beer, khm salad )
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), SK G(*G), BW Diamond
Okay and thanks, my male Janica mentioned that voucher should be available on next day but likely now just need to wait few days more.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum
My (OSL) flight for this afternoon, as well as the return tomorrow have just disappeared from the MMB, without me receiving any SMS or email about the cancellation... I suppose I'm not the only one? AY app still shows my return flight but check in won't work of course.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
On the to AY refund form if your flight has been cancelled due to corona virus you can choose to get back the original amount on your credit card or a Finnair gift certificate with 10% extra value. I hadn't previously noticed the option for a gift certificate. Not sure if I want to take the risk of having a gift card with no good use though.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: AY+
I've a couple of flights ex-TMP for June. According to AY website TMP-HEL is cancelled till July, flights still showing in the app though.

As TMP-HEL is evidently cancelled, can I file claims for refunds/vouchers now or do I have to wait for the cancellation emails?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:24 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by napapiiri
3 times I have requested vouchers in the past 2 weeks and it took about 3-5 days each.
Did vouchers get the extended date?
My membership year have been extended, and vouchers that was inside the account at that time was also extended. But I have 2 vouchers in the black hole, I wonder what expiry date they'll get when they are recovered.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: AY+ Lumo, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Even if extraordinary circumstances are the case, that alone does not free the carrier from all responsibility. For example, they still need to prove that they've tried every reasonable and feasible attempt to minimise the disruption from the cancellation or delay due to extraordinary circumstances. For example they may be liable to arrange for a replacement bus service especially for short domestic routes. If these measures have been neglected there is a case for EC 261/2004 due compensation despite the extraordinary circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.