Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Still have not seen a refund on cancellation from Feb 17th.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by xkkpafi
Thanks. I feel slightly less anxious now.
I don't think you need to worry. They're really really slow, but you'll get your refund eventualy. They have 100.000 refunds in the queue and they handle them manually, so it will take time.

The Finnish state owns 55 % of AY, and they have a legitimate business (in normal times), so there should be little risk of going bankrupt.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Refund requested April 6 refunded to the card I used on April 20. not sure if refunds are based on status or not but this was fairly quick 👍 thanks to currency change I made nearly a 20€ profit 😁
ffay005 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 8:56 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by ffay005
I don't think you need to worry. They're really really slow, but you'll get your refund eventualy. They have 100.000 refunds in the queue and they handle them manually, so it will take time.

The Finnish state owns 55 % of AY, and they have a legitimate business (in normal times), so there should be little risk of going bankrupt.
How long does a refund take if handled manually? It seems unrealistic for it to take so long.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by kauppias
Refund requested April 6 refunded to the card I used on April 20. not sure if refunds are based on status or not but this was fairly quick 👍 thanks to currency change I made nearly a 20€ profit 😁
I cancelled 12th March. Tihs was because AY cancelled the flight not because I just could because of the situation

Am OW Saphire / BA Silver. Asked last week in an online chat (had a query with another booking) how much longer and was told another couple of weeks on top of the month they initialy quoted.

Appreciate they are busy but they really should be processing these in the order the refund was requested
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Appreciate they are busy but they really should be processing these in the order the refund was requested
I don't think it's unreasonable to give priority to airline's own top tier customers as they also have priority customer service phone numbers and such.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:46 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I have to give some credit to AA here; it took them exactly 7 days to process my refund request. And I'm guessing that their refund request volume must be significantly larger than AY's.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DALtoAAL
I have to give some credit to AA here; it took them exactly 7 days to process my refund request. And I'm guessing that their refund request volume must be significantly larger than AY's.
I'm still waiting for an AA refund requested on the 5th April. Spoke to them today and could not give an indication of how much longer it would be.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lkrt
I don't think it's unreasonable to give priority to airline's own top tier customers as they also have priority customer service phone numbers and such.
TBH in the present circumstances I do think that is unreasonable. You might disagree but they have already breached the deadline they themselves said they would process redunds in when I originally cancelled.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:56 am
R2

I am AY Plat and have several pending refunds, the first one I filed on 25 Feb. Nothing so far.

What annoys me even more is that one of my cancellations was not for a full 'coronavirus' refund but according to the ticket T&C's. The day I cancelled this I also requested a Cancellation certificate for travel insurance claim. This was on 14 March. Both CS on the phone and the email I received as acknowledgement for the the certificate request confirmed this would sent to me within one week. I have not received the refund nor the certificate so far.

I'm puzzled to read reports here of some people getting their refunds (whether money or voucher) within a couple of weeks. Why does AY not process them more or less in order of receiving them.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: EBG
Originally Posted by R2
I'm puzzled to read reports here of some people getting their refunds (whether money or voucher) within a couple of weeks. Why does AY not process them more or less in order of receiving them.
It puzzles me too and seems most unfair. It seems that those who were forced to cancel the first or are not located in Finland are waiting the longest. At the moment Finnair has effectively frozen on my entire year's private travel budget.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: AY+Plat
Originally Posted by xkkpafi
It puzzles me too and seems most unfair. It seems that those who were forced to cancel the first or are not located in Finland are waiting the longest. At the moment Finnair has effectively frozen on my entire year's private travel budget.
I am also puzzled about some reports of quick refund. However, I would not say "located in Finland " or "status" has priority. I am located in Finland and AY Plat but yet to receive refund applied on third week of March.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 3:16 am

Programs: AY+
It looks like calling to CS makes the refund process a lot faster... 🤔
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
As a data point, I cancelled an AirBnB booking, the money was back on my CC within 12 hours - and that's because of AX FIN. ABnB confirmed within the hour that they credited back the money. I don't think that ABnB has less cancelled bookings than AY...
florens likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2020, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is no reason why the refund of an unflown ticket which has been paid for with a single credit card (likely the vast majority of transactions) is not fully automated and thus handled in short order. The entitlement to a refund is established by data held by the carrie in its system and which a simple algorithm can handle, e.g.
1. Is the ticket refundable by fare ruiles?
2. Is the ticket refundable because the carrier has cancelled?
3. If either or both 1 and 2, what was the amount paid?
4. Payment form used becomes credit form used.

But, there is no incentive to be efficient, especially now. Cash is king and if a carrier can hold it 2 days longer than it otherwise could, that is better (for the carrier).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.