Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: HappinesSMiles Silver
I suspect earlier BLQ dropouts were more of a goodwill due to emerging serious situation in Italy at the time rather than BLQ just being seasonal destination. Since then situation has been more or less serious everywhere.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This was just a few days ago.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:22 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
If you have a ticket xxx-HEL-yyy-HEL-xxx (long haul) and xxx-HEL is cancelled by AY and the rest is beyond Nov30, any experience what happens here?

I’d guess (read hope) the rest of the ticket should still be ok if I don’t take any action from my end..? Doesn’t really qualify as ”no-show” by the customer if they axe the first leg by themselves..?
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:09 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SK Gold, BT VIP, Radisson Premium, Accor Platinum
On Facebook finnair now quotes 8 weeks for the refund to be processed.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 3:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by aapee
On Facebook finnair now quotes 8 weeks for the refund to be processed.
Outrageous.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Reason to initiate CC chargeback? I am ready to finance AY for 4 weeks, but not for two months. Clearly they try to force people to accept the vouchers - which have an expiry date and are usable only for paying AY. Cash hasn’t either limitation
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: AY+
I got a mail from Finnair today about the 8 weeks money refund handling time, and the option to change my claim to a voucher instead (which I don't even qualify for). Not happy.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
I don't suppose they're quoting a shorter backlog for voucher issuance, are they?

FWIW, Expedia has given me a deadline of 8-12 weeks for refund... after spending about a week to answer the request... so Finnair might be within the new contemporary industry norms
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: AY+
Originally Posted by Courmisch
I don't suppose they're quoting a shorter backlog for voucher issuance, are they?
They say vouchers are handled within 4 weeks.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, OZ Diamond, LH Silver
Originally Posted by .roger.
They say vouchers are handled within 4 weeks.
My voucher arrived by email today only 8 days after refund request. So much quicker than cash and 10% extra value.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:28 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum (OWE), KQ Plat (*S Elite Plus), Amex Platinum, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by BlueCross
Had booked AY 007 / 008 HEL-MIA-HEL for 17 / 24-25 March. Got a cancellation message, requested refund on 13 March both for myself and another pax on same booking. Full refund for both pax dropped in on my credit card account today, exactly two weeks later.

Also requested refund of points and vouchers used for upgrades. Still waiting for that.

So far, very pleased with AY service.
When the points and vouchers didn't start to show up, I emailed CS three days ago. Today I got a friendly reply apologizing that they hadn't been returned to my account automatically, and informing me that it had now been taken care of. Points and vouchers now show on my account.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:33 am
R2

As many others here, I have several pending refunds being processed by AY. I always chose to get refunded money as I find the 10% extra for the voucher not sufficiently motivating.

Yesterday I got an email from AY refunds team:

Hello,
We know that you are waiting for a refund from us for your unused flight ticket. We are very sorry about the prolonged handling time and do our everything to refund your ticket as soon as possible.
Did you know that you can now choose between two refund payment options: a Finnair gift voucher or a money back refund to your bank account or credit card.
With the gift voucher you’ll get additional value – the value of the gift voucher is 10% more than in the money back option.
You can choose the gift voucher as a refund option, when you have paid your ticket fully with money, meaning through online banking or credit card. If you purchased your ticket fully or partly with Finnair Plus points, we refund your unused ticket to your bank account or credit card and return the points to your Finnair Plus account. If you booked your flight through a travel agent, please contact them for a refund.
Do you want to switch to a gift voucher? You can do it here until 5 April.
We’ll send you the gift voucher within 4 weeks. The handling time for refunds to a bank account or credit card is currently approximately 8 weeks due to a high volume of coronavirus related requests.
First of all, yes I did know I could also choose a gift voucher as I read the information on the refund form.

Anyway, I clicked on the link provided and there was a simple webpage with the two options. I chose the voucher just to see where it takes me and landed immediately on a page saying something like 'Thank you. You will receive your voucher in two weeks'.

I have no idea which of my five pending refunds (or all of them?) will now be paid as a gift card. At no point was there any reference made which ticket this was related to. AY IT, another one to fix please.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, LH, Accor, IHG, Scandic, Tallink
Originally Posted by R2
As many others here, I have several pending refunds being processed by AY. I always chose to get refunded money as I find the 10% extra for the voucher not sufficiently motivating.

Yesterday I got an email from AY refunds team:

First of all, yes I did know I could also choose a gift voucher as I read the information on the refund form.

Anyway, I clicked on the link provided and there was a simple webpage with the two options. I chose the voucher just to see where it takes me and landed immediately on a page saying something like 'Thank you. You will receive your voucher in two weeks'.

I have no idea which of my five pending refunds (or all of them?) will now be paid as a gift card. At no point was there any reference made which ticket this was related to. AY IT, another one to fix please.

Thanks for the very useful info. I got the same email and I felt tempted to click the link, just to see what woud happen. However, I decided not to do it. As you said, the email missed many essential facts, like the ticket or booking, which it was referring to. Basicly the AY's email felt a nice idea, but the implementation was rather unfinished.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Sure is taking time. I have a ticket now that has been waiting for 8 weeks (well tomorrow).
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:21 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
There is now a dedicated BA staff member over at the BA forum to help expedite refunds for FT members.

Maybe Finnair is listening and will do the same?

Wishful thinking, probably.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.