Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Cancelling "most" Flights April 1 onwards. Refunds?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Refund Update: I had an AY-booked itinerary (ORD-LHR-ARN on BA, HEL-ORD on AY) that I submitted a Refund Request for back on 12-Mar. At the time of submission the website & confirmation email informed the processing time was 1 month, but 5 weeks later and the refund as not yet been processed. I just chatted with customer service and was told the processing time is now 2 months.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by puckstop
Refund Update: I had an AY-booked itinerary (ORD-LHR-ARN on BA, HEL-ORD on AY) that I submitted a Refund Request for back on 12-Mar. At the time of submission the website & confirmation email informed the processing time was 1 month, but 5 weeks later and the refund as not yet been processed. I just chatted with customer service and was told the processing time is now 2 months.
Well, it's all nice and dandy to know what the processing time is NOW, but a month ago it was 4 weeks - they really should stick to it, otherwise it's just screwing the customer.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Well, it's all nice and dandy to know what the processing time is NOW, but a month ago it was 4 weeks - they really should stick to it, otherwise it's just screwing the customer.
Exactly this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by ffay005
Called today to refund a ticket. All sorted in 2.5 minutes, including waiting time. I opted for a voucher this time, and Janica told me to expect it within 30 days. What a backlog!
And the voucher arrived today, so waiting time was one business day.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: AY LUMO
AY still has over 100.000 refunds in process.

https://www.hs.fi/talous/art-2000006481235.html?ref=rss
Old Apr 20, 2020, 10:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

In twitter DM they told me it takes 8 to 10 weeks now.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
AY still has over 100.000 refunds in process.

https://www.hs.fi/talous/art-2000006481235.html?ref=rss
So.

100k refunds take 8 weeks.

12.5k refunds per week

1785 refunds per day

74 refunds per hour

Surely their capacity must be higher than issuing 74 refunds per hour only?
mpkz likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Could be manually checked. Could be by 9-5 department.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:03 pm

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
As an interesting data point: CX has on its website as a "non-war time" refund timeframe of 21 days for tickets not involving USA. Cancelled one ticket with them on 24 March and refund was back on my credit card on 2 April, way before the end of the 3 weeks. Clearly, the guys in HKG have a better level of automation.
remymartin likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: EBG
They invited me to cancelled on Mar 18 for Mar 24 travel DUB-HEL-BKK-HEL-DUB because of Covid and I received a refund and cancellation acknowledgement on Mar 18 but five weels later no sign of a refund. Has anyone else experienced such a delay?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by xkkpafi
They invited me to cancelled on Mar 18 for Mar 24 travel DUB-HEL-BKK-HEL-DUB because of Covid and I received a refund and cancellation acknowledgement on Mar 18 but five weels later no sign of a refund. Has anyone else experienced such a delay?
It’s up to eight weeks now, so yes.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:09 am

I was wondering about their gift voucher offer instead of a refund. What worries me is if they go bankrupt, which presumably make gift voucher holders one of many creditors who may receive nothing, whereas a refund of ticket purchases directly would no doubt be covered by ones credit card company.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by lkrt
It’s up to eight weeks now, so yes.
It was actually 'an average of up to four weeks' when their first acknowledgement came through, now its 8 weeks, and an 8 weeks what will it be? 16 weeks? I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that a refund may never materialize particularly as their chat no longer functions. Despite being 'number 1 in the queue' it keeps signing off with no agent available. Really disappointing after 12 years of business class travel with them.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: AY+ Gold (OWS)
Originally Posted by xkkpafi
It was actually 'an average of up to four weeks' when their first acknowledgement came through, now its 8 weeks, and an 8 weeks what will it be? 16 weeks? I'm getting an uncomfortable feeling that a refund may never materialize particularly as their chat no longer functions. Despite being 'number 1 in the queue' it keeps signing off with no agent available. Really disappointing after 12 years of business class travel with them.
I understand and share your frustration, but the AY waiting time of 2 months (or more?) is certainly much better than what e.g. AFKLM is doing right now. They are not offering refunds at all, but instead hand out vouchers that can only be exchanged for a cash refund after a 12 month period. This is directly in contradiction with EC261.
xkkpafi likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by deissi
I understand and share your frustration, but the AY waiting time of 2 months (or more?) is certainly much better than what e.g. AFKLM is doing right now. They are not offering refunds at all, but instead hand out vouchers that can only be exchanged for a cash refund after a 12 month period. This is directly in contradiction with EC261.
Thanks. I feel slightly less anxious now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.