Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 10:05 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by TTL
Good news for juniors and later also for friends and families... email just arrived.

The award points prices will be the same for all members, including Finnair Plus Junior members.
Not good news for juniors. Yes, they can get tiers which is something I've talked about for a long time, but paying full redemption price for say a 8 year old is a bag of hurt.

I guess in the future, Junior will fly revenue J and I will come along on a award or upgrade! Tables have been turned!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
As an adult I’m very happy to get some of the discount juniors been getting for years.
remymartin likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by FFlash
Confusing letter. Click on junior pages and still it says there: 50% discount for jr awards
Until June 3rd that is correct.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
They promised more news in April, so they have a week to go still..
At least this "april" has had great weather!

Originally Posted by OH-LGG
Just ordered couple days ago long haul award for Junior 62.500 points so this is not improvement. Now it wil be 90.000 points.

It was almost the best award where can use award points.
It will be 91 000 if I read it right as Juniors must redeem through CS. (That may change though as there no longer is a need for manual apply the "discount")

These "improvements" are mostly for those who fly 1-2 times in a year.

This looks like AY is fighting against DY U2 FR etc. and trying to please travellers who are flying to European cities for a weekend once or twice a year.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is a good thing if they can attract flyers from all segments. But we will see how they manage to balance it. If the program becomes aimed at only one group then it will be bad for most people here.

Hey, My dream destination is ARN. Who wants to collect award points with me so we can execute our dream.
Watch out what you ask for! Maybe they'll change the awards so that you can only redeem the same trips you usually fly. For every 10th ARN flight you'll get one ARN voucher!

Originally Posted by Guillou
So from June onwards also Juniors can become Lumos!
Finally we can all engage in the important contest!
I bet my junior gets Lumo before yours!

Originally Posted by lkrt
As an adult I’m very happy to get some of the discount juniors been getting for years.
You'll get a 8k discount (98->90k; 8%) while juniors get a whopping +82% price hike (50->91k).
I doubt junior awards has been very common overall. I am certain they've been very rare on longhaul.

Last edited by intuition; May 24, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reason: ramblings of a confused person stricken
Old May 24, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Paradoxally, I cannot somehow enjoy these good news since these stink. Something less good is cooking snd smashes soon on us.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Paradoxally, I cannot somehow enjoy these good news since these stink. Something less good is cooking snd smashes soon on us.
Yeah, like a cut in earnings?

(It would actually be fitting as there are too many lumos qualifying on points

"Finnair Plus Junior members can earn tiers just like regular Finnair Plus members and get the same great tier benefits."
I am curious why they seem to keep the Junior distinction. They removed the award discount and they added tiers. If it really is the exact same benefits, what is the purpose of a junior class of card?
Old May 24, 2018, 11:03 am

Lower the points amount and add YQ/YR to the award tickets was what I thought. The good part of the news would be still true.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:13 am

Programs: AY LUMO
So what are those fantastic improvements for Frequent Flyers?
Old May 24, 2018, 11:24 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by intuition
You'll get a 8k discount (98->90k; 8%) while juniors get a whopping +82% price hike (50->91k).
I doubt junior awards has been very common overall. I am certain they've been very rare on longhaul.
At least HEL-Asia/NA was 124k -> 90k and for juniors 62.5k->91k.

So if 2 pax from same family travel with award tix - you will save points if both of them are not juniors.

Edit: Any idea about business award rates? Until June 3rd it has been +75k for Asia and + 20k for Europe compared to Y awards.

Last edited by HJP; May 24, 2018 at 11:30 am
Old May 24, 2018, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by HJP
Edit: Any idea about business award rates? Until June 3rd it has been +75k for Asia and + 20k for Europe compared to Y awards.
If the upgrade prices stay the same I assume that the price difference for European flights stays at 20k. For Asia the upgrade price is currently 100k so there is a difference.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by HJP
At least HEL-Asia/NA was 124k -> 90k and for juniors 62.5k->91k.
Sorry, my mind is kind of screwed up. I referenced the numbers mentioned with my recently redeeemd junior J award, which is 100k. Then halved that to make it Y and then... heck I can't even figure out how I did it So I'll will keep the big bazoo shut until I see the actual table!

-- Added
Many cases we don't know yet, but for Nordics Y the change seems to be
Y: 19->15k ; 21% lower
Junior Y: 10->16k; 60% increase

As they specifically say "Nordics" maybe we can assume "Northern Europe" will cease to be its own region, and thus a HEL-WAW will move to the Europe table? Then
Y: 19->30k ; 58% increase
Junior Y: 10->31k; 210% increase

Last edited by intuition; May 24, 2018 at 12:43 pm Reason: Added new calc
Old May 24, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Quoting myself and repeating what I have said many times before: AY+ is a good and balanced program for us Flyertalkers and I dont want them to fix it if it aint broken. Now these changes are major which will inevitably lead to more changes and adjustments, and for worse if the current is fine. This already stinks in the direction of pleasing casual flyers and thus, in balance, showing butt to us flyertalkers, says me.

Well, an optimist goes now and burns awards like hell after 4.6. while it lasts!
Old May 24, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Originally Posted by intuition
As they specifically say "Nordics" maybe we can assume "Northern Europe" will cease to be its own region, and thus a HEL-WAW will move to the Europe table?
My guess is that you're overanalysing and that their publicity department isn't too familiar with the programme... So what they call Nordics is most likely the current Northern Europe zone.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
This already stinks in the direction of pleasing casual flyers and thus, in balance, showing butt to us flyertalkers, says me.
That's because they want to trick those casual flyers into AY loyalty, which I understand very well. I'd say that for the great majority of AY+ members, the programme is actually basically a scam, just like most loyalty programmes. Casual flyers will book tickets at unnecessarily expensive prices believing that it makes sense because they are members of the loyalty programme. In reality AY+ is beneficial only to a small minority, ie upper status members that get perks.

In reality, for that casual twice-a-year-to-Greece flyer, it's going to take forever to collect enough points for a European award, so there's little practial difference between 30k and 40k. However, I'm pleased to be able to spend only 30k for a €400 Euro ticket instead of 39k. And while I understand that the Junior price increase is bad news for many, it doesn't concern me.
Old May 24, 2018, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by ffay005
My guess is that you're overanalysing and that their publicity department isn't too familiar with the programme... So what they call Nordics is most likely the current Northern Europe zone.
Very good point!
Soon enough we'll see the actual redemption tables and then we'll know.

Originally Posted by HJP
Yes, there currently is a +75k between the nominal fees (125k - 200k). Online redemptions are discounted and those differ by less (124k - 198k).
I think the new Asia Y price is very aggresively lowered and doubt they will do similar lowering in J. Not even sure they wil lowere those prices, but if they do, my wild speculation is that they will make J awards exactly 2x the Y awards, ie the new online price for J asia will be 180k.

Remeber that the last time they lowered redemption prices in J, it was moving Japan/HKG/BKK/SIN from 225k->200k. At the same time they lowered the earnings on those destinations.

Last edited by intuition; May 24, 2018 at 3:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.