Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair Plus will get ”fantastic new improvements”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Originally Posted by Hartsa
A recent experience on upgrading a HEL-LHR flight as AY+ Gold

- I made an update request on about T- 20 days and got waitlisted
- On T - 15 days I got an update on email that my request is still pending and that they'll check availability again on T - 5 days
- On T - 10 days I got a new upgraded ticket. Checking the seat map on finnair.com showed that about half of the A350's J seats were taken.

It seems to me that it is an automated process but the email has some misleading information.
My experience upgradeing upcoming HEL-LHR flight as AY+ Gold

-After booking ticket and upgrade tool shows 0, I emaild customer service (friday evening) and got replay back on monday morning saying something like:
”I have upgraded you to business class using your voucher and selected you seat XX have a nice flight -Janica CS”
and new ticket popped into email

My take on this is that regular CS reps can also make upgrades whitout asking higherups and never mentioned waitlist or anything. After all this J cabin on A359 was about half full.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Trav1970

BA has a solution for this: they allow their emeralds to book awards from certain revenue inventory classes also. Simple to implement.
I Think this is pretty much what AY already do, but the availability is not visible for anyone. I suspect CS have clear guidelines from Revenue in which inventory classes they are allowed to book awards for plats and other pushy people.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:04 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Sorte

My take on this is that regular CS reps can also make upgrades whitout asking higherups and never mentioned waitlist or anything. After all this J cabin on A359 was about half full.[/left]
IME they cannot, instead the new algorithm clearing waitlist is so quick that the upgrade can clear almost immediately. My quote above is from a session with a CS rep where segment 1 was waitlisted and when she started to waitlist segment 2 segment 1 came back as cleared.

I don't know if this is because there was F availability all along but it was somehow hidden or if the algorithm actually releases new availability. But the time frame from "sorry, no seats available, I will waitlist you" to "the upgrade has cleared, I will send you new e-ticket" can be less than 30 seconds.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:26 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
So does anyone had cleared a waitlist if going to the US or Cuba? I don t want to make this flights in Y.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by Ed Size
So does anyone had cleared a waitlist if going to the US or Cuba? I don t want to make this flights in Y.
You could actually also book a flight, request an upgrade and if it doesn't clear in let's say 20 hours you just cancel the flights free of charge.
ffay005 and Ed Size like this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
JFK - HEL waitlisted for two pax, cleared ~3 days before the flight. Was waitlisted for ~2 months. May 2017
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
My quote above is from a session with a CS rep where segment 1 was waitlisted and when she started to waitlist segment 2 segment 1 came back as cleared.
I can confirm this as well, exactly same experience and within the same phone call it followed the same logic (segment 1 waitlisted, proceeded to segment 2 and segment 1 cleared and before ending the call, the segment 2 also cleared).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: AY LUMO
I (+1) we were on waitlist for 2 hrs to HAV.

HAV is difficult because Aurinkomatkat selling businessclass seats for their customers starting from 300€ and it's 11hrs flight.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by _ra_
+1. I've booked several award tickets recently, with notices as short as two days. Nothing is ever available, but waitlist always clears in minutes.

The rationale of this system is completely beyond me, though. Why would you build an application to check the "availability" of award flights, if that "availability" has absolutely nothing to do with whether awards are actually available? Maybe an FTer with more insights into how airlines operate can explain?
+1000 on this too.
My point is, for ease of sampling, I would like to have the tool show me real award chances. I know that I can request award as Plat and they often accomodate that but I hate to do that if I am only in exploring phase so that I would need to request 1000 waitlists and wait-and-see which one clears. No-no.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I've asked waitlisting for upgrades on the chat and they've cleared so quickly that the chat agent's reply was that it already cleared. Obviously there's a computer doing the decision so neither do I see the point why it couldn't be integrated with the upgrade tool.

BTW, it is also unsure what kind of role status plays in clearing the upgrade. Would be nice if someone with Basic status could try waitlisting and report here.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by FFlash

+1000 on this too.
My point is, for ease of sampling, I would like to have the tool show me real award chances. I know that I can request award as Plat and they often accomodate that but I hate to do that if I am only in exploring phase so that I would need to request 1000 waitlists and wait-and-see which one clears. No-no.
Exactly. In the planning phase, there still is flexibility. For instance, you want to depart on a wednesday ±1 day and want a trip duration of 7±3 days.
If you see the true availability, then you feel confident enough to start making more fixed plans. You adjust your trip to the available dates and book the ticket and you request the upgrade. You book your hotels, cars, events, meetings and so on.

But with all dates zeroed in the tool, you have no clue.

It doesn't matter that waitlist "usually clears", it does not inspire confidence. What if departing tuesday, wednesday, thursday all show zero in the tool and tuesday and thursday have this "hidden" inventory. But wednesday is really full and rev. is not going to release another seat, even if you are super-duper plat. You could easily have choosen tuesday if you knew, but you had to take your chances and you choose wednesday.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:49 am

I had 2 seats upgraded in Jan for both legs. IIRC the return leg cleared just few days before the flight.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
In June my flights to JFK 3 months away showed F0, and waitlist cleared in half an hour for both legs.
Ed Size likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: AY, M&M, BAEC ...and don t care of status anymore
To be honest I never made a Y booking with AY in direction US since I never got Awards/Upgrades - if I have a 24hour grace period this will help. Upgrades/Awards to BKK always cleared on the phone before making the booking.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
I experienced a weird abnormality for my HKG flight. There was suddenly on my outbound and upgrade availability which I noticed in the app and I instantly grabbed the opportunity. The online tool said that there were more than 5 upgrades available. What makes it weird is that when I checked out of curiosity after 2 weeks there was no availability anymore but the J cabin looked as empty as before, Ok that is just one flight and the seat map is not overly reliable, but same happened to the other flight to HKG that day. Huge availability suddenly in the online tool and soon everything is gone though I have no idea of the seat map changes there. I really wonder if availability was not supposed to be shown to public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.