Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There are many Schengen "leisure" flights leaving before the lounge opens, too. But while that is understandable, I don't think it's very nice to close the lounge before the last flight of the night has taken off.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:31 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Last monday morning the very premium feeling consisted of two tiny karjalanpiirakkas with slices of cheese and a glass of orange juice. Munavoi was directly from freezer. No seat available. When will this pissing to the eye end?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by TTL
Last monday morning the very premium feeling consisted of two tiny karjalanpiirakkas with slices of cheese and a glass of orange juice. Munavoi was directly from freezer. No seat available. When will this pissing to the eye end?
Not before they finalise the expansion of the lounge (which hasn't even started) or the new wing of the non-Schengen side is ready (was it 2020?) where I'd assume (strictly my opion, no information about it) they'll have another lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
Not before they finalise the expansion of the lounge (which hasn't even started) or the new wing of the non-Schengen side is ready (was it 2020?) where I'd assume (strictly my opion, no information about it) they'll have another lounge.
I thought it was already confirmed they won’t be opening a second lounge for now but instead expanding the current one.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by lkrt

I thought it was already confirmed they won’t be opening a second lounge for now but instead expanding the current one.
It very well could be that I've missed out on that!
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Those who complain about space, in the near future when the new non-schengen wing opens, Finavia boasts also about new "high-class" restaurants Ajisen Ramen, Jamie’s Deli and Moomin Coffee, so you "classy people" can head your hunger there then
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Obviously better build more restaurants and fire alarms than seating and lounging space. Monies monies monies.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by on22cz

Premium lounge has been Emerald-only with the only exception being AY Gold (no other Sapphires) for definitely more than a year. So the staff was right. I'd just not call it a recent change. They probably didn't mention AY Gold access as you clearly had a different airline's card. No BS here.

I have bene turned away twice recently flying Finnair J to LHR as a a BA OWE. I was really p***sed. Such BS.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 9:38 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
A BAEC member complaining about lounge access denied by a OW airline is likely to cause some amusement with the crowd.
Try access any BA lounge with a OW elite card, and you'll find them to always be "full". Talk about BS
What goes around comes around.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by intuition
A BAEC member complaining about lounge access denied by a OW airline is likely to cause some amusement with the crowd.
Try access any BA lounge with a OW elite card, and you'll find them to always be "full". Talk about BS
This does not apply to BA's hub(s), such as LHR. The space restrictions at BA outstations with small lounge facilities that serve a flight or two with high-J configurations and many premium customers are completely different story compared to AY's situation at HEL.

If AY denies lounge access at its hub airport the situation is not really comparable, so no need to feed trolls here.

Last edited by esledo; Apr 29, 2018 at 11:17 am
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by esledo
This does not apply to BA's hub(s), such as LHR. The space restrictions at BA outstations with small lounge facilities that service a flight or two with high-J configurations and many premium customers are completely different story compared to AYs situation at HEL.

If AY denies lounge access at its hub airport the situation is not really comparable, so no need to feed trolls here.
Exactly! I flew many many years as an AA OWE and was never denied access to BA lounges when flying BA regardless of class. That I should be turned away as a OWE actually flying Finnair in J is ridiculous. This has been a very unfortunate trend for me with the premium lounge regardless of which OW airline I am flying out of HEL as a OWE. I accept the crowding problem but then just be honest and change your access policy Finnair instead of denying access when it clearly should be granted.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, TK Elite
This is a crap experince indeed. I haven't been turned away yet from any lounge but something like that would rain on my parade pretty bad.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AY ex-Lumo, TK Elite, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
I have bene turned away twice recently flying Finnair J to LHR as a a BA OWE. I was really p***sed. Such BS.
I'd say the staff most likely overlooked the OWE status and led you to the non-premium lounge just based on the class of service. Easy-to-make mistake. If they ignore your OWE status on purpose, then it's time to show them their own webpage and / or the webpage of OneWorld. If this doesn't help with the staff at desk, let them call a supervisor. If the lounge is full, it's full (an alternative could be to form a queue outside and let people in as soon as others leave; I'd say the non-premium lounge entry is then much better option). Otherwise, stand your position if they disobey OneWorld rules - it helps.

Originally Posted by intuition
This is a good point. Maybe we've got a super attentive lounge staff member. Kind of a revenger.
ffay005, lkrt and BOStonTravels like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I'd say the staff most likely overlooked the OWE status and led you to the non-premium lounge just based on the class of service. Easy-to-make mistake. If they ignore your OWE status on purpose, then it's time to show them their own webpage and / or the webpage of OneWorld. If this doesn't help with the staff at desk, let them call a supervisor. If the lounge is full, it's full (an alternative could be to form a queue outside and let people in as soon as others leave; I'd say the non-premium lounge entry is then much better option). Otherwise, stand your position if they disobey OneWorld rules - it helps.

This is a good point. Maybe we've got a super attentive lounge staff member. Kind of a revenger.
They scan the boarding pass, the scan will tell them where to direct the customer. Highly unlikely for them not to see the appropriate lounge. What they decide to do is another story.

It usually does not bother the front desk staff to let people in for standing room only. I wonder when the lounge is too full to let more guests in....
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:50 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
While that was my favourite explanation so far, I guess unlikely.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
They scan the boarding pass, the scan will tell them where to direct the customer. Highly unlikely for them not to see the appropriate lounge. What they decide to do is another story.

It usually does not bother the front desk staff to let people in for standing room only. I wonder when the lounge is too full to let more guests in....
I think previously this has been the case, but not anymore. As they are now instructed to go find seats and reserve them for Lumos, all staff must now be painfully aware of the situation. And when everyone in the staff knows the lounges are crowded at certain times of day, it is very much likely that there have been a discussion around how to manage that and maybe even a policy to be aware of load and to deny access based on full lounge when needed.
on22cz and BOStonTravels like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.