Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
This lounge is now closed and replaced by the Finnair Premium Wing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/finnair-finnair-plus/1973050-ay-platinum-wing-now-open.html

Print Wikipost

Finnair Premium Lounge in non-Schengen area [now closed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
While that was my favourite explanation so far, I guess unlikely.

I think previously this has been the case, but not anymore. As they are now instructed to go find seats and reserve them for Lumos, all staff must now be painfully aware of the situation. And when everyone in the staff knows the lounges are crowded at certain times of day, it is very much likely that there have been a discussion around how to manage that and maybe even a policy to be aware of load and to deny access based on full lounge when needed.
Just cordone a section of for Lumos only. Part of the white chair area at what used to be a window to the apron?

The challenge will be when they have 3-4 Lumos members with each 4 guests showing up..... They should really have addressed the lounge situation before creating Lumos.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
Well, there are 100 Lumos, so how many will you have showing up on any given day during the afternoon peak at the non-Schengen lounge? Hardly a problem.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:33 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
With 100 lumos flying 150 segments there are 20,5 lumos in the air any given day. Just saying..

(yes I know not all are flying segments and not all are in HEL non-schengen lounge. I'm just saying numbers quickly add up)
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ffay005
Well, there are 100 Lumos, so how many will you have showing up on any given day during the afternoon peak at the non-Schengen lounge? Hardly a problem.
You'd be surprised Was flying NRT-SFO on United with a friend who is GS recently, there were 6 GS members on that one flight. I know United has far more GS members than AY has Lunos members, but they also have a massively larger network to spread them over.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:06 am

With 100 lumos flying 150 segments there are 20,5 lumos in the air any given day. Just saying..

(yes I know not all are flying segments and not all are in HEL non-schengen lounge. I'm just saying numbers quickly add up)
If they qualified by segments, they are more likely to be seen hanging around gate 15 in OUL than in the non-Schengen lounge, I reckon.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by on22cz
I'd say the staff most likely overlooked the OWE status and led you to the non-premium lounge just based on the class of service. Easy-to-make mistake. If they ignore your OWE status on purpose, then it's time to show them their own webpage and / or the webpage of OneWorld. If this doesn't help with the staff at desk, let them call a supervisor. If the lounge is full, it's full (an alternative could be to form a queue outside and let people in as soon as others leave; I'd say the non-premium lounge entry is then much better option). Otherwise, stand your position if they disobey OneWorld rules - it helps.

This is a good point. Maybe we've got a super attentive lounge staff member. Kind of a revenger.
hahah a revenger, I like that! Revenging what though, where are all the reports of people with appropriate credentials being turned away from BA lounges at LHR?

I did take my BA OWE card out this last time but it made no difference. Since the first denial happened some time ago I just make a habit of showing up to HEL shortly before the flight so I never have much lag time. The person who turned me away from Premium was a manager of some sort and with 20 minutes to go before boarding I just got a drink from the business side and left, no point in arguing.
esledo likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 6:41 am

In the Wiki it says "Must be departing from the non-Schengen side of Terminal 2 (Although exceptions can be made)."

What are these exceptions?
Old May 5, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), TK Elite (*G), BT VIP, HH D, BW DS
Originally Posted by Frequent flyer 101
In the Wiki it says "Must be departing from the non-Schengen side of Terminal 2 (Although exceptions can be made)."

What are these exceptions?
As AY+ Plat, I've been able to use the Premium lounge when connecting from non-Schengen to Schengen. AFAIK there is no official policy on this, and don't know what is the case for AY+ Gold or OWEs from other programs.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:41 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Reporting back on two separate issues/questions:

I was allowed entry to premium lounge even though I arrived from non-schengen and was connecting to schengen. Not sure if it was the good old "platinum-policy" applied or if lounge attendant was just friendly/confused.

When entering I see 2-3 seats with sign "reserved for lumo". Not exactly sure how many seats are reserved, it was in a group of 6 chairs and some were already taken.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Another observation: Staff is actively trying to guide people to free seats, so they'll walk people to areas where they know they just cleared a table.

I also overheard staff saying "We will get a bigger lounge, but it will be at year end". No idea how well informed they are, but there's a date anyway.
SPBanker likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, SK Gold
I also overheard staff saying "We will get a bigger lounge, but it will be at year end". No idea how well informed they are, but there's a date anyway.
I would guess it's the same date as for opening the Plaza
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Apologies if I've missed it, but are there any options for lounge access from a non-Schengen flight (ORD) on arrival with no onward connections? I'd like to jump into the sauna on arrival to clean up before I continue from the airport. I'll be coming in booked in J with AY Gold status.

Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by petteriusa
Apologies if I've missed it, but are there any options for lounge access from a non-Schengen flight (ORD) on arrival with no onward connections? I'd like to jump into the sauna on arrival to clean up before I continue from the airport. I'll be coming in booked in J with AY Gold status.
No arrival access, unfortunately.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: AY+ Gold
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by lkrt
No arrival access, unfortunately.
Well, that's unfortunate. Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:49 pm

Disappointed with the Premium lounge offerings today before AY5.

Warm items solely consisted of the buffet, where the fish soup had hardly any fish and looked like it came straight from a school cafeteria. The beef burgundy wasn’t much better, and the rice wasn’t rice, but a mix of barley and brownish rice. And there’s no room where to place the kettle lids on the petite table while you're helping yourself.

The dining area was crowded with only one table free. And as cramped as ever. The architect probably never realised that people who travel have carry-ons with them. Those huge lamps, while perhaps nice design items, make it look and feel even more cramped than it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.