Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:46 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
There was some “chicken soup” today, as well. Basically deep-frozen chopped veggies. After I requested them to replenish, I managed to find a single piece of chicken, too. Soup kitchens offer better stuff.
intuition likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 9:58 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK

Wed 6:50 am sustainable BACON omelette!

Long pause I have been here, have things changed to more höpösustaining food???
Lounge packed too.
GOTBound likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 10:29 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by FFlash

Wed 6:50 am sustainable BACON omelette!

Long pause I have been here, have things changed to more höpösustaining food???
Lounge packed too.

The way they cook their eggs just looks so unedible 😁🤷‍♂️
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: AY Gold (OWS) TK Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by kauppias
I think basically all warm food on offer in schengen lounge usually looks more or less unedible these days.
That and the fact that it is jam packed mornings and afternoons makes me avoid it most of the time.
The only good I find there nowadays is the Lonkero on tap together with Sandels beer which I think is quite alright.
non-schengen lounge is light years ahead, very pleasent space with ok food and better drink options. Plat wing is in a league of it's own, as it should be, ofcourse.
TTL likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: AY Platinum, TK Elite, BT VIP, AA, BA, SK, DL, NT, WB + hotels
That's not even made from eggs, but rather just powder stuff.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 4:05 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Diamond
Is it for the powder gang then?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by plain
Is it for the powder gang then?
We need Sanna to explain that.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:26 am

Apparently the desks with glass walls have now been downgraded when the glass walls and curtains have been removed. Ok, the seating wasn't optimal for online meetings (curtains didn't help the acoustics at all) but this feels like they are removing comfort from the lounge. The chairs near the lounge entrance in the corridor being another comfort removed.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
100% with you on that - I just cannot bring myself to taste any of their "omelettes". Are they even made of real eggs?

Originally Posted by Tuvv
I think basically all warm food on offer in schengen lounge usually looks more or less unedible these days.
For me it's a salami/egg roll or two, or on a lucky day karjalan piirakka + coffee + some cookies in the mornings. That carries me over until we land.
NoWindowSeat likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:28 am
Original Poster

The other day I heard a rumour saying the Schengen lounge will move. No location or date was given. My wild guess is the former airport conference centre and upstairs security. I’m not sure how large the space is. The current location is not any longer very central so it makes sense to move.
intuition, lkrt and manywhere like this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by nordic
The other day I heard a rumour saying the Schengen lounge will move. No location or date was given. My wild guess is the former airport conference centre and upstairs security. I’m not sure how large the space is. The current location is not any longer very central so it makes sense to move.
In my wishful thinking I’d like to see the current space with great apron views renovated into a Schengen Platinum lounge, and the new lounge would be for J and Sapphire.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by lkrt
In my wishful thinking I’d like to see the current space with great apron views renovated into a Schengen Platinum lounge, and the new lounge would be for J and Sapphire.
I love this idea 😃👍🍺
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:02 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
Originally Posted by lkrt
I doubt Finnair would want to go back to dual-lounge setup on the Schengen side. It would be much too large for just Emerald customers anyhow.

But generally, yeah, I wonder what Finavia will do with all the newly available commercial space in the Schengen departure area. They obviously were not expected HEL to lose its status as transit point for Asian tourists.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:14 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by nordic
But isn't that even more off-grid?

For me that location would have made a lot of sense before the development, ie turn the congress center into the premium schengen loung, and the riff-raff could have carried on climbing stairs down and up again for a silver wings kind of place.

With the current schengen terminal layout (the veeery long T1 arm) I think it will be difficult to put a lounge based on departure gates. I would be better to make it in the immediate vincinity to "fast track" security. Meaning in (on top of) the shopping island where WH smith, Marimekko, Aera, Balmuis is. Or where Aspire is today.

Of course, if Finnavia is willing to use some cash and dig into the structures, fast track should be connected to where the old entrance hall was, as that location would allow for shorter walking distance to both old T1 and the rest. (Cutting through the walls and not force you to take the detour around "Oak barrel".

This wuld also allow the lounge to be in actual departure level, so travellers would not have to go up&down stairs. But would Finnavia even considering devoting floor space to a lounge (or would Finnair pay for it)? Easy access floorspace is shopping mall in all airport operators' dreams...
Helsinki Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by intuition

Meaning in (on top of) the shopping island where WH smith, Marimekko, Aera, Balmuis is. Or where Aspire is today."
I think part of the second floor is demolished (the area where Aspire used to be). But there is something left (where the toilets and Sports Bar is).

I remember reading that the old departure area will be filled with restaurants.
intuition likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.