Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AY Schengen lounge at HEL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: AY+ Plat basic
Originally Posted by ffay005
It seems that some pax actually like the stuff they offer at the lounge. A lady in her fifties asked the dragon if the lasagne is vegetarian and said that the vegetarian food in the lounge is so good that the chefs should open a vegetarian restaurant. There was no irony in her voice. I would have liked to intervene, but kept quiet…
I normally eat very few vegetarian food but imo the lounge food has been ok, good or even very good every time I have tasted, even though it doesn't look very appealing. Imo it's well made food and people should give it a try instead of mocking it without tasting.
Alawyer, florens, SPBanker and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by ffay005
I tried the lasagne. For the first time. It was completely tasteless.
Then it suits perfectly the Finnish taste of Jorma.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 4:56 pm
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Oh well. On my recent visit to the current schengen kindergarden packed to capacity and more dirty dishes and vegeschaisse allaround than normal person can take in one go, I traveled down the memory lane to the days of the Silver Wings and the Golden Gate lounges. There were times when flying AY from HEL to Europe was a pleasant experience..hard to believe for those newer to the game when looking this pathetic situation we have today. Left after 5mins and just found a quiet place to sit at the public terminal for 20-25mins before boarding.

Finnair, you need to do SOMETHING. This is not fun anymore. No more pay lounge by money/points or something, it’s not worth a penny to get in anyway..
ffay005 and intuition like this.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
Oh well. On my recent visit to the current schengen kindergarden packed to capacity and more dirty dishes and vegeschaisse allaround than normal person can take in one go, I traveled down the memory lane to the days of the Silver Wings and the Golden Gate lounges. There were times when flying AY from HEL to Europe was a pleasant experience..hard to believe for those newer to the game when looking this pathetic situation we have today. Left after 5mins and just found a quiet place to sit at the public terminal for 20-25mins before boarding.

Finnair, you need to do SOMETHING. This is not fun anymore. No more pay lounge by money/points or something, it’s not worth a penny to get in anyway..
My thoughts exactly,

My last visit a few weeks ago at 6:30AM was a crowded as you described and the breakfast selection was abysmal with the powdered egg dishes, I left after consuming a cup of coffee and some yogurt. The crowding was never this bad pre-pandemic.
Old Oct 23, 2022, 11:51 pm

No more pay lounge by money/points or something, it’s not worth a penny to get in anyway..
If this is the reason, then AY would make tons of money from the lounge. A visit costs a whopping 48€ compared with 39€ for the Aspire lounge. Also the 6k points access for Silvers vs a 10k J upgrade is not really appealing, only the last resort if you are desperate.

I assume we all know the reasons that currently add up, more status holders, the fixed lounge space and the two big waves.

The two latter ones existed before Covid, the first one creates now the spillover.
r2d2 and Steve_Hun like this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 1:35 am
Ambassador: Finnair

Programs: AY Lumo, BA Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Jainzar
If this is the reason, then AY would make tons of money from the lounge. A visit costs a whopping 48€ compared with 39€ for the Aspire lounge. Also the 6k points access for Silvers vs a 10k J upgrade is not really appealing, only the last resort if you are desperate.

I assume we all know the reasons that currently add up, more status holders, the fixed lounge space and the two big waves.

The two latter ones existed before Covid, the first one creates now the spillover.
Yeah I have no idea how many pax pay for lounge with points or money but I have overheard many pax discussing this at the reception.

It could well be it’s mainly the covid extended statuses and all the promos/point sales but reducing the numbers by killing status access would be more difficult as they would need to be looking at Golds/Sapphires where also OW rules kick in..

Maybe as an interim solution due to capacity issues they should take away all guest access, during peak hours anyway..
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Isn‘t guesting (standard +1) a OW benefit / rule too?
Old Oct 24, 2022, 2:12 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
It could well be it’s mainly the covid extended statuses and all the promos/point sales but reducing the numbers by killing status access would be more difficult as they would need to be looking at Golds/Sapphires where also OW rules kick in..
Just make Schengen lounge a oneworld First Class lounge. QR has gotten away with it at DOH for many years…
cistavoda likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lkrt
Just make Schengen lounge a oneworld First Class lounge. QR has gotten away with it at DOH for many years…
QR (and BA, QF, JL, CX etc.) can do it because they also offer a business class lounge.
Steve_Hun likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: AY Platinum (OWE), HHonors Gold
I'm new to this Schengen lounge game. What time are the morning and afternoon waves at?

Flying later this week and contemplating presenting at a a telco between 3-3:30PM from the Schengen lounge. Will I have to fight for a phone booth?

Also I have a 3 hour layover in HEL coming up on a Sunday in the near future. Is it a viable plan to leave my bags at the lounge, exit airside, go run for an hour and come back to take a shower?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Jyrsa
I'm new to this Schengen lounge game. What time are the morning and afternoon waves at?

Flying later this week and contemplating presenting at a a telco between 3-3:30PM from the Schengen lounge. Will I have to fight for a phone booth?
Pretty bad timing. But I don‘t know about the occupancy rate of the phone booths.
Jyrsa likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:54 am

Quiet lounge before 11. Pretty good lunch, I think. Mexican vege steaks. Ardent meat eaters had to settle for sausage omelet left over from breakfast.

SPBanker likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AY+ Platinum

Also I have a 3 hour layover in HEL coming up on a Sunday in the near future. Is it a viable plan to leave my bags at the lounge, exit airside, go run for an hour and come back to take a shower?
Based on few experiences of Mon and Fri afternoons, those few booths tend to be reserved. If youre able to go there few hours before and reserve one, then good. But landing there after 2 oclock and getting booth might be tricky..
Jyrsa likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 2:01 pm
Suspended

I'd check that the showers are working, but if they are, sure.. priority security is normally a breeze. It's just a bit annoying getting off airport grounds by foot (but not impossible like at some airports where you have to walk on a highway)
Jyrsa likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: Onko teillä S-etukorttia?
Originally Posted by mpkz
It's just a bit annoying getting off airport grounds by foot (but not impossible like at some airports where you have to walk on a highway)
At HEL its fairly easy, just head to Hilton/Scandic/bus terminal/AY crew garage and there are walkways along roads everywhere. Then towards Aviapolis on Tietotie.
Jyrsa likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.