Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: clifford79
Current and historical promotions

This is a thread for reporting details of promotions in the Finnair+ program.

The purpose of the wiki is to keep a repository of current and historical promotions. This works best if all details are given in a post of the thread. Once such a post is made, edit the wiki and add a short description of promo in headline-style, with a link to the post that holds the detailed information. (You can create such a link by right-clicking the post-number and copy link location).
Do not link to the promo itself from the Wiki, as the promo page is likely to disappear once the promo ended and such link will die, leaving the wiki sans historical info.

Feel free to discuss alterations to the format in the thread below.

Do not delete historical posts.

Signup period - Promotion

130502 - 130814 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000), LH upgrades for 35000/45000
140102 - 140121 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000)
140505 - 140731 SH upgrades for 3750 (norm 7500) or 5000 (norm 10000)
160105 - 160126 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
160404 - 160630 Double points for JL flights (operated and marketed by JL) PAR-TYO and FRA-TYO
160503 - 160613 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
160621 - 161009 Double points AY flights to and from FUK until 2016-10-09
160621 - 161030 Double points AY flights to and from CAN until 2016-10-30
160912 - 170131 Fly across the Atlantic and earn double points 2017-01-31 - (dead link, historical info lost)
160926 - 161030 Double points BRA, domestic swedish flights before 2017-01-31
160929 - 161017 Triple points for one trip departing Sweden, Denmark and Norway (N.b. targeted to Scandinavian members!)
161124 - 161128 2k extra points for trip (possibly trips) flown before 2017-MAR-31
161129 - 161230 2k extra points for one shorthaul, 5k extra points for one longhaul. Fly before 170731
170127 - 170130 2k extra points for booking made during the signup period to China. Only for Finns.
170115 - 170331 Use 20 Finnair plus partners, earn up to 20k extrapoints (has spawned into a major separate discussion)
170202 - 170224 Buy points with up to 45% bonus
170209 - 170215 Valentine promo, small discount econ comfort + win upgrade for two
170207 - 170227 Enter a draw to win 2 longhaul upgrades on STO-Asia, targeted to sweden
170217 - 170228 Enter a draw to win 2 tickets to Helsinki and World Figure Skating, targeted to Sweden
170228 - 170313 SH upgrades for 5000 (norm 7500) or 8000 (norm 10000)
Print Wikipost

2018 and earlier promotions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I cannot think of a single good promotion from AY in ages. They are only related to either buying something at discount, cash+points (completely useless for FFs) or extra award points for some routes they want easy and cheap publicity for..
I agree, the summer promo is the only decent one I recall and even those I end up crediting to AA for more lucrative/valuable miles!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: AY LUMO
Originally Posted by kauppias
I agree, the summer promo is the only decent one I recall
What is this summer promo?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: Finnair (AY) Platinum, Air France Silver, Tallink Club One Silver :)
Originally Posted by OH-LGG
What is this summer promo?
I guess it is the joint venture trans-Atlantic promo, they have had for a few years now.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Steve_Hun
I guess it is the joint venture trans-Atlantic promo, they have had for a few years now.
Yes this is the promo theyve had for the last 2-3 years.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: AY+ Plat (OWE)
Originally Posted by NoWindowSeat
I cannot think of a single good promotion from AY in ages. They are only related to either buying something at discount, cash+points (completely useless for FFs) or extra award points for some routes they want easy and cheap publicity for..
+1
Nothing useful for ages.
I have been holding back a few reservations waiting for Accor triple promotion or similar to pop up but need to proceed with my reservations very soon.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: AY Platinum Lumo (LTG) OW Emerald, SPG Platinum (LTG), UA Silver
Originally Posted by lkrt
It's a bit of a pity that there are virtually no promos targeted for the higher tiers. The only one I can think of was an invitation to the whisky tasting – not a very good promotion either, that one.
And even for that there was no real response.

Of course you could assume that if you do not hear anything you did not get lucky, but it would be polite to send some response so that you can free up the calendar...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:22 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Justinus
I find it weard that that as a non-Finnish Plat member I virtually never receive any promotions - except to buy more AY points.

The AY management seems to think that it is kind of obvious that I'll stay loyal to it. Well, just for the record: it isn't.
I think it it pretty clear Finnair loyalty is a very small department. Perhaps unconsciously, but I think they devote their time to their largest markets, ie where they either have a lot of members or where marketing would like to have more members.
As such, Finland and Sweden will be the two areas getting most of their work efforts and thus promotions.

Also, as their local presence is minimal, they may not have enough insight to design good promotions for "outstations". And when they do, it will be very different promotions in each country. The only one I know of, was when they held a lottery in CKG with free Europe tickets as winnings.

It's a bit of a pity that there are virtually no promos targeted for the higher tiers. The only one I can think of was an invitation to the whisky tasting – not a very good promotion either, that one.
This.

I actually stopped thinking about it, but when I joined the program they claimed I as a plat would be the first to know about special fares and promotions. But they never ever sent out any special plat communications that wasn't just the ordinary sales prices AFAIK.
(they had a ticker-application that only ran on windows 95 or what ever - again only normal sales prices)

Again, I think they are underpowered.
But instead of looking into a super-platinum tier, I think they should work with plat special promotions to induce more business.
I have plenty of ideas of what could be done...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
Originally Posted by intuition
Again, I think they are underpowered.
But instead of looking into a super-platinum tier, I think they should work with plat special promotions to induce more business.
I have plenty of ideas of what could be done...
What kind of promotions do we have on your mind? Something like the SAS Dreams program with travels to special events?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:20 am
R2

A couple of months ago there was a promo / competition where you could win a trip to some Bocuse d'Or type of chef event in Lyon with the Finnish participant.

Just last week there was another one; a trip to the Olympic museum in Lausanne for some event.

I deleted the emails as I am not at all interested in any of these events but just for the record there has been a couple more than just the whisky event.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Originally Posted by R2
A couple of months ago there was a promo / competition where you could win a trip to some Bocuse d'Or type of chef event in Lyon with the Finnish participant.

Just last week there was another one; a trip to the Olympic museum in Lausanne for some event.
Oh yes, I had forgotten about the Bocuse d'Or chef competition. However, I've yet to receive information about the Olympic museum.

What was in mind was that there are no promotions that would encourage us to make more business to AY, that being points promos or special offers for us Plats (and Golds).
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:41 am
R2

Oh yes, I had forgotten about the Bocuse d'Or chef competition. However, I've yet to receive information about the Olympic museum.

What was in mind was that there are no promotions that would encourage us to make more business to AY, that being points promos or special offers for us Plats (and Golds).
I agree completely.

However, if they still stick to these non-revenue generating mickeymouse promos, I'm sure there are those who appreciate whisky, chefs or olympic history. For me - as an aviation fan - something like a VIP visit to Airbus at TLS would do the trick...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:04 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by R2
I agree completely.

However, if they still stick to these non-revenue generating mickeymouse promos, I'm sure there are those who appreciate whisky, chefs or olympic history. For me - as an aviation fan - something like a VIP visit to Airbus at TLS would do the trick...
When are they going to pick up LWI? That would be the occasion!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by TTL
When are they going to pick up LWI? That would be the occasion!
What a great idea! Who has the best contacts to pitch this to AY?
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:12 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Originally Posted by Jainzar
What kind of promotions do we have on your mind? Something like the SAS Dreams program with travels to special events?
Not familiar with that one, but I think they could easily make targeted promotions for tier members that would get them more revenue. They could use all different inducements, Earning extra points, discounts using points, discount on rev tickets and base it on individual former accomplishments in order to extract that little extra from high-spenders.

I am not going to be more specific unless someone is paying me for my work.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
Discussion with AY reps in Customer Community

There is tomorrow on Friday discussion with Andrew Kilkeary, Head of Loyalty Operations, at 14-15 Finnish time in Finnair customer community chat forum. They write that any participant of that customer community can join the discussion and place questions regarding anything of Finnair and being customer. Previous chat session was yesterday with Sari Nevanlinna, Head of Ground Experience & Ancillary, but learned of that too late to participate. The discussion is readable on that forum, however.

As I didn't receive any email notification on this session, but just happened to log in to see if anything is going on there, I thought to spread word if some other FTers that are participants as well but haven't got word of it would like to join that discussion.

I think that would be excellent opportunity to discuss and suggest what kind of promotions higher tier members would like to see and get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.