Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I'm sorry you took it personally. Although I don't recall the encounter as well as you do, I suspect it is more likely my demeanor changed because a) you were not an available attractive young blonde woman and 2) you were not offering me a beer.

Seriously, though, I do apologize for offending you when we met. That wasn't my intent.
There is no need to apologize. I did not take it personally. In fact, I thought it was humorous, actually.

Although what I posted actually happened, I posted it for the sake of levity in response to the comment about you defending the moderators of FlyerTalk. You should have seen that look on your face when you found out that I was a moderator on FlyerTalk!

As for not being an available attractive young blonde woman, all I have to say in response is: thank goodness!

As for the beer — well, I do not drink alcoholic beverages; and I do not recall any being offered at the Freddie Awards...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
sbm12 just posted his personal valuation of the premium membership

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...um-membership/
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
sbm12 just posted his personal valuation of the premium membership

http://boardingarea.com/thewandering...um-membership/
The value of a Premium Membership will differ from person to person. For me, the only thing that it offered that I can use is the upgrade to National Emerald Executive level.

I am HHonors Diamond through March 2015, so the offer of Gold was not worth anything to me this year. That said, if it is offered again next year, by itself it will be worth the cost (just in savings on using the internet alone)

What I did do is to buy the package, then give the benefits that I can't use (like HHonors Gold and the 1,000 United MileagePlus award miles) to two friends to split between themselves.

(To my everlasting disgrace, they are both FT Mods, may God have mercy on my soul.)

When I think of the benefits that the three of us, jointly, will get I think it was an excellent bargain.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:32 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
There is no need to apologize. I did not take it personally. In fact, I thought it was humorous, actually.

Although what I posted actually happened, I posted it for the sake of levity in response to the comment about you defending the moderators of FlyerTalk. You should have seen that look on your face when you found out that I was a moderator on FlyerTalk!

As for not being an available attractive young blonde woman, all I have to say in response is: thank goodness!

As for the beer — well, I do not drink alcoholic beverages; and I do not recall any being offered at the Freddie Awards...
Funny... I DO remember there being beer at the Freddies reception that night. That's a big part of the reason I came!

But yes I have a pretty strong prejudice where FT moderators are concerned, I do admit. Especially back when Randy was in charge of moderators and moderation.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
The value of a Premium Membership will differ from person to person. For me, the only thing that it offered that I can use is the upgrade to National Emerald Executive level.

I am HHonors Diamond through March 2015, so the offer of Gold was not worth anything to me this year. That said, if it is offered again next year, by itself it will be worth the cost (just in savings on using the internet alone)

What I did do is to buy the package, then give the benefits that I can't use (like HHonors Gold and the 1,000 United MileagePlus award miles) to two friends to split between themselves.

(To my everlasting disgrace, they are both FT Mods, may God have mercy on my soul.)

When I think of the benefits that the three of us, jointly, will get I think it was an excellent bargain.
It seems to me that this offer is targeted at the FTEF's core audience: newbies. There's not much in there for folks who already have any juice whatsoever. For me, I think Seth's valuation is spot-on.

And of course there are those who will buy it because they are super-dedicated to Randy/MP and will buy whatever they are selling.

Speaking of the super-fans, I have to say, it's interesting that the MP/FTEF folks are taking the Smisek approach to the points and miles business: ancillary revenue, ancillary revenue, ancillary revenue. Squeeze existing customers for FTEF super-plutonium membership, hit them up for gold MP membership, get *MEGADO folks to pay an extra $300 for a guaranteed empty middle seat, etc.

Interesting and SMART. ^
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It seems to me that this offer is targeted at the FTEF's core audience: newbies. There's not much in there for folks who already have any juice whatsoever. For me, I think Seth's valuation is spot-on.

And of course there are those who will buy it because they are super-dedicated to Randy/MP and will buy whatever they are selling.

Speaking of the super-fans, I have to say, it's interesting that the MP/FTEF folks are taking the Smisek approach to the points and miles business: ancillary revenue, ancillary revenue, ancillary revenue. Squeeze existing customers for FTEF super-plutonium membership, hit them up for gold MP membership, get *MEGADO folks to pay an extra $300 for a guaranteed empty middle seat, etc.

Interesting and SMART. ^
I hadn't even thought of it as the Smisek approach - that's funny and pretty accurate!

I did get the premium thing, as this year HH Gold will be worth it for me based on travel plans, and the UA miles worth a few bucks. But the value does depend on each individual, and for some it's not worthwhile at all.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 1:51 pm

i lost my hilton gold earlier, so I think the package is worth more than $50 because not everyone has the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:35 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Funny... I DO remember there being beer at the Freddies reception that night. That's a big part of the reason I came!

But yes I have a pretty strong prejudice where FT moderators are concerned, I do admit. Especially back when Randy was in charge of moderators and moderation.
Let’s just say that the look on your face after realizing that I was a moderator on FlyerTalk would have roughly been equivalent to the look on my face after having a sip of beer...

...and as for your strong prejudice against moderators on FlyerTalk: whether or not there is any legitimate justification for that strong prejudice, the first thought that entered my mind is that perhaps it is not fair to simply initially paint a group of people with the same broad brush stroke...
Old Oct 14, 2013, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie

...and as for your strong prejudice against moderators on FlyerTalk: whether or not there is any legitimate justification for that strong prejudice, the first thought that entered my mind is that perhaps it is not fair to simply initially paint a group of people with the same broad brush stroke...
I agree with you. In fact, until yesterday I would have considered you one of the good guys -- but then I read Sarah P.'s account of her meeting with you.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by freeloader
Interesting thread, thanks for the link...

I'm always amused with chest puffing that goes on when they say how unfriendly FT was in the late '00 - the same FT that had their four co-founders in the power positions of site owner, talk board president, and moderators...
[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
... I don't think moderation works on a macro scale like North Korea any more than it does on a micro scale like here, and just drives the conversation elsewhere. Sure things can get ugly but that's a reflection of human behavior. I prefer to see it warts and all. Everything you guys wanted this EMRP forum to be for example has ended up on TBB because he lets people do no holds barred criticism of bloggers, not the watered down stuff you have to have here
Randy himself made discussion of moderation the cardinal sin of FlyerTalk from day one of the moderator corps. His volunteer staff were above reproach. Period.

Randy himself made decisions to ban posters 'for life.'

IMHO, our current Community Director is FAR more tolerant and reasonable than Randy was in terms of allowing discussion of the management of FT. She also does not respond to criticism with rambling overly-defensive posts, but instead directly addresses issues. And she stays engaged, contrasted with Randy's infamous 'seagull management' technique. If you have respectful and candid feedback regarding FT's management I strongly encourage you to PM Carol. It's night and day vs. FT's former management.
^^^^^^^

SanDiego1K deserves kudos for an open ear and thoughtfully implementing many quiet improvements, including showing some moderators the door or talking them into taking some "time off". But I feel FT would be even more successful if there was an opportunity for members to see the "warts and all" stuff that ma91pmh refers to.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
I post on MP as skyvan.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I love it when folks set up boards in reaction to FlyerTalk...especially when it is set up in reaction to FT moderators or to mock FT posters.

Moremiles, TireFlock, moreflyingtalk, milepoint.

They all eventually flame out, but it's always fun to watch. ^
At 2.2M posts, MilePoint is alive & well.

The others existed for varying purposes, some as refuges for FT's unwanted, others where self-annointed in-crowds would mock FT'ers. This is the first I've heard of mFT.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

The others existed for varying purposes, some as refuges for FT's unwanted, others where self-annointed in-crowds would mock FT'ers. This is the first I've heard of mFT.
Well, it's alive. I suppose it's well, if you don't need any actual information or questions answered. (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

I had never heard of mFT or any other of the "alternative/refugee/B-side" forums either!
Old Nov 28, 2013, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Well, it's alive. I suppose it's well, if you don't need any actual information or questions answered.
I haven't done this for a while, but a quick scan of a few of the MilePoint forums gives these numbers.

Of the 2.2 million posts on MilePoint, 1,558,490 are in these threads alone:-

• Count Backwards From 123,456 – 123,487
  • The FL* Lounge (Part 3) – 100,648
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 2 – 100,003
  • The FL* Lounge - Part 4 (IV) – 97,927
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 3 – 95,430
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color – 93,974
  • The FL* Lounge - Part 5 (V) – 93,802
  • [EXPIRED] MONEY FOR NOTHING | Win a free ticket on the Star MegaDO4 (SMD4) – 78,964
  • Win a Free Ticket to the oneworld MegaDO | December to Remember – 77,417
  • Fly With Friends | Win Free Tickets for the Star Mega Do 3 – 72,592
  • The FL* Lounge – 65,061
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color (Part 2) – 64,285
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 1 – 63,795
  • The FL* Lounge (Part 2) – 60,420
  • Post A Random Number – 54,118
  • The Community Lounge - Good m/a/e everybody - enjoy your stay with us. – 53,741
  • SPIN: Win custom luggage from Rimowa – 49,814
  • Teh Penalty Box – 34,159
  • I want to be liked! – 32,786
  • [JMB Forum Diamond Premier Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread – 28,345
  • WIN: a free ride on the SMD5 – 23,352
  • Delta Forum Lounge Thread – 22,020
  • Three Word Stories – 20,624
  • People Association Thread – 20,535
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color (Part 3) – 18,701
  • Seven Word Stories – 12,490
Old Nov 29, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I haven't done this for a while, but a quick scan of a few of the MilePoint forums gives these numbers.

Of the 2.2 million posts on MilePoint, 1,558,490 are in these threads alone:-

• Count Backwards From 123,456 – 123,487
  • The FL* Lounge (Part 3) – 100,648
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 2 – 100,003
  • The FL* Lounge - Part 4 (IV) – 97,927
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 3 – 95,430
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color – 93,974
  • The FL* Lounge - Part 5 (V) – 93,802
  • [EXPIRED] MONEY FOR NOTHING | Win a free ticket on the Star MegaDO4 (SMD4) – 78,964
  • Win a Free Ticket to the oneworld MegaDO | December to Remember – 77,417
  • Fly With Friends | Win Free Tickets for the Star Mega Do 3 – 72,592
  • The FL* Lounge – 65,061
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color (Part 2) – 64,285
  • Teh Penalty Box | part 1 – 63,795
  • The FL* Lounge (Part 2) – 60,420
  • Post A Random Number – 54,118
  • The Community Lounge - Good m/a/e everybody - enjoy your stay with us. – 53,741
  • SPIN: Win custom luggage from Rimowa – 49,814
  • Teh Penalty Box – 34,159
  • I want to be liked! – 32,786
  • [JMB Forum Diamond Premier Lounge] The JAL Forum Conversational Thread – 28,345
  • WIN: a free ride on the SMD5 – 23,352
  • Delta Forum Lounge Thread – 22,020
  • Three Word Stories – 20,624
  • People Association Thread – 20,535
  • Post a random number and give each digit with different color (Part 3) – 18,701
  • Seven Word Stories – 12,490
That's some serious post padding!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.