Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
Still not sure why the fascination with others. Nice work on the numbers here though not sure of the purpose. Actually it seems to indicate that members on Milepoint are happily adjusted to social sharing with others in a friendly environment and yet still are posting some very impressive content. Funny thing about your list. It would seem to indicate that there would be about 641,510 +/- posts of relative information (after deducting your list of social sharing) after 2 1/2 years on Milepoint. One might say that's pretty respectable since a quick comparison to FlyerTalk after 2 1/2 years according to the Internet Wayback Machine indicates FlyerTak had 282,315 +/- at the same point:
http://web.archive.org/web/200101232...m/boardsfr.htm

I'll leave the number crunching to you but I think it fair to say good for them with what seems like very positive success in whatever it is they are doing—it helps the average frequent flyer and there's really nothing wrong with that.

So, why don't we do this—quite worrying about any others and continue to work on building FlyerTalk for the better. One of the marks of great communities is they hold their heads high, wish other efforts well and always look forward to helping the next member with some information relative to their travel.
Interesting comment from someone whose last two posts (aside from an obituary post) were 6 months ago...and both in this same thread.

With all due respect, I'd be careful of calling the kettle black, as there is a fair share of FT criticism, and even bashing on occasion, on MP. In fact some of the MP regulars refuse to even call FT by name.

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It was to examine the validity of this bald assertion made above:-Just how "well" is MilePoint (and how useful is the 2.2 million posts metric), when:-
  • at least two out of every three posts on MilePoint has been made in the threads that I've listed (whose utility is obviously questionable);
  • the top poster on MilePoint has alone made over 150,000 posts;
  • the top ten posters have collectively made over 500,000* posts;
  • the top 20 posters have together made over 720,000* posts; and
  • the BA board on MilePoint attracted a grand total of 67 posts in the entire month of November 2013?

As for the politely-worded suggestion that we FTers should simply mind our own business, it's worth remembering that when MilePoint started, a significant number of BAEC board FTers did participate for a while. A few of us are still there, trying to answer the occasional question about flying on BA or (more often) how to use BAEC Avios to fly on other airlines. Why? Fundamentally to help others who are less well-versed in the intricacies of travel, which is one of the foremost benefits that IBBs bring to their respective fields. But most have dropped out because there's so little point in MilePoint.

Participation in IBBs is not exclusive, even when there are competitors. There could have been a place for both FT and MP alongside each other, whatever the power (or not) of incumbency. It's not unfair to ask what went wrong at MP, and to wonder whether and how it could still be fixed. I think that deep down, those of us who ask that question do so because we care rather than because we sneer - particularly when it's being asked by those who still visit MP. But spinning the numbers in the way that you do, while ignoring the underlying reality which they show, doesn't answer that question at all. It's just misleading to make a post count comparison with the total number of FT posts thirteen years ago, when the internet was still a playground for geeks, email was only just beginning to take off, broadband was a novelty for most, and access was much less easy than it is now.

* These numbers include about 30,000 from the BoardingArea news feed, which appears at no 8 in the list of top posters.
There's just no question the actual content just isn't there on MP yet, aside from perhaps the UA forum and a few others. Folks are mostly friendly and the format and functionality is great. But I already have Facebook for social interaction. I do post some on MP and I like it for what it is, but it's apples and oranges.

That's not to say MP can't or won't improve, or that FT can or should rest on its laurels (heaven knows FT has its own shortfalls, too).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
And to give context, another number: The total number of posts to the BA board on MilePoint in November 2013 was 67.
For some context the number of useful posts on FT's BA board in November was 68. So FT wins by one.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Doctor doctor, the patient is still alive!

View Screen Capture
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Interesting comment from someone whose last two posts (aside from an obituary post) were 6 months ago...and both in this same thread.
Sadly, it seems that Randy Petersen may not be interested in discussing this any further here.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 6:42 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
MP is not a bad place, much easier for a new guy, and not bad for an old guy, after 50 year I still do the Chicago Seminar, always glad for some new ideas,

FT Point Guy and many others out the and all seem to offer something, sure beats the old days, when most never understood the miles game, at least now we are not the only crazy guy.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
For some context the number of useful posts on FT's BA board in November was 68. So FT wins by one.
Muahaha! Useful is in the eye of the beholder....that forum is Dilbertian. Much like...well....

Otherwise it is without doubt :-: best in class :-:
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:07 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Sadly, it seems that Randy Petersen may not be interested in discussing this any further here.
There really is nothing to discuss.

I have reduced my posting on FlyerTalk based exactly on the type of post you are quoting. I don't believe there was any reason whatsoever to bring my posting pattern into this. You quoted some stats, I quoted some stats back. Positive exchange and I know for a fact that you have had nothing less than a positive rating with me over the years. There is absolutely nothing in your or my posts in this thread that required or demanded a "post count" for validity. I continue to hope that FlyerTalk works on being a more welcoming website and continue to urge and suggest that to others. We can all make FlyerTalk work, but picking on another members post count when in fact it has nothing to do with a thread's content is simply rude and unwelcoming and there is no place on FlyerTalk for any such introspection.

The sad thing is that while some on this thread seem to enjoy picking on another website, I still think they would do better in creating a more positive presence for FlyerTalk by continuing to work on what makes FlyerTalk great. I noticed that the moderator for this forum posted above about the patient still being alive. Was that dig totally necessary? Funny thing about stats are those that the moderator left out. Sure, the moderator spotted a pulse—that same stat lists Milepoint as being +5.79% for the year in overall traffic. The very same standard of stats used on Milepoint list FlyerTalk as being -36.29% for the year in overall traffic. I think this is the second year in a row for FlyerTalk to be losing traffic like that, not a good sign which is why I said earlier in this thread and will again urge all members to work on those things that make FlyerTalk great—and #1 on that list is to not diss any member, focus on content, positive exchanges and don't worry about what others are doing. There's really nothing to discuss here as it doesn't make FlyerTalk or any other website for that matter any better. Here's to the best of all holidays for you and thank you for your continued and positive support of FlyerTalk.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Fair enough, Randy. Thank you for coming back to post this.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Muahaha! Useful is in the eye of the beholder....that forum is Dilbertian. Much like...well....

Otherwise it is without doubt :-: best in class :-:
Many of the regular posters in that forum would agree with your assessment no doubt.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
The sad thing is that while some on this thread seem to enjoy picking on another website, I still think they would do better in creating a more positive presence for FlyerTalk by continuing to work on what makes FlyerTalk great.
The same sad thing happens on MP as well as FT is often the target of threads in the "Off Topic" forum. I would agree that there are better, more positive things to do but pick on each other's sites. Just MHO and FWIW I post sparing on MP under the same username.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I like both places, so keep up the good work boy's.

Back when I started we had tubes, in the radios.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:58 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
There really is nothing to discuss.

I have reduced my posting on FlyerTalk based exactly on the type of post you are quoting. I don't believe there was any reason whatsoever to bring my posting pattern into this. You quoted some stats, I quoted some stats back. Positive exchange and I know for a fact that you have had nothing less than a positive rating with me over the years. There is absolutely nothing in your or my posts in this thread that required or demanded a "post count" for validity. I continue to hope that FlyerTalk works on being a more welcoming website and continue to urge and suggest that to others. We can all make FlyerTalk work, but picking on another members post count when in fact it has nothing to do with a thread's content is simply rude and unwelcoming and there is no place on FlyerTalk for any such introspection.

The sad thing is that while some on this thread seem to enjoy picking on another website, I still think they would do better in creating a more positive presence for FlyerTalk by continuing to work on what makes FlyerTalk great. I noticed that the moderator for this forum posted above about the patient still being alive. Was that dig totally necessary? Funny thing about stats are those that the moderator left out. Sure, the moderator spotted a pulse—that same stat lists Milepoint as being +5.79% for the year in overall traffic. The very same standard of stats used on Milepoint list FlyerTalk as being -36.29% for the year in overall traffic. I think this is the second year in a row for FlyerTalk to be losing traffic like that, not a good sign which is why I said earlier in this thread and will again urge all members to work on those things that make FlyerTalk great—and #1 on that list is to not diss any member, focus on content, positive exchanges and don't worry about what others are doing. There's really nothing to discuss here as it doesn't make FlyerTalk or any other website for that matter any better. Here's to the best of all holidays for you and thank you for your continued and positive support of FlyerTalk.
You've done a nice job of twisting my words. Nowhere did I say you were invalidated based upon post count. Moreover, I was merely replying to your assertions that (a) people here are too worried over what other people are doing and (b) members should work to make FlyerTalk a better place. You began the lecture of what FT'ers should and shouldn't do, I simply questioned your position and premises behind it.

Your recent posts were mentioned in context of that, as is obvious from reading my post. You're the owner of a competing website, purporting to advise and lecture FT members. For one thing, since you only recently posted here in defense of MP on this thread, that seems to be worrying about what others are doing on one single thread on FT. The irony seems obvious in that.

It is hard to put much credit in the admonishments to "work on making FT better", from the former owner who sold and then left the FT community, to start up a competing venture.

That you would point to my post as "evidence" of unwelcoming, being rude, etc. is ridiculous. You don't know me and I have always been a strong advocate of improving FT especially for newbies, helping new members, and trying to quash the flamers. Because I question your premise and the contradictions raised, is no reason to go after me.

And again, as others have noted, MilePoint has its share of mocking and sneering at FT as well.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

An update:

View Screen Capture
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:35 am

Some global numbers from Google Adplanner (since siteanalytics is US vistors only):

View Screen Capture

and some comparison:

View Screen Capture

View Screen Capture
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:10 am

FlyerTalk and Mile Point--participate on both?

I'm a happy member of FT. But I see a lot of references among bloggers to the MilePoint community.

1) Do you participate on both? If so, why? If not, why (if you a strong, but civil, opinion)?

2) What are the unique strengths of each community? Not asking for weaknesses since that puts things in a negative cast rather than a constructive one.

3) What are the origins of each community? Which preceded the other and who are the founders? Was the formation of the newer community built amicably or as a foil or protest to the other? Would like to think competition, and its clear benefits, is the answer here. But I can't choose my own answers--only questions.

MODERATOR: If this post is inappropriate, please remove it. My chief goal is to assess whether I'd benefit by participating in another Mile and Point forum community and how. But if deemed inappropriate, please let me know where I may legitimately ask the question. Seems like a fair one to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.