Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
My personal advice is, before shelling out a hundy or whatever, swing by the ft community forum and check out a local ft happy hour or dinner. You'll find not just a ton of info at these informal gatherings but you get a chance to network with points and miles geeks. I even met my wife at a ft gathering!

A great way for even introverts to get a feel for the people behind the handles and soak up some points and miles nerd knowledge.
Great tip, thanks! And congrats on meeting your wife there--how cool. You know your Hobbies and Priorities are aligned. :-) Anyone know if there's an RDU / RTP (Central North Carolina) group? Guess I will check out the Community Forum and ask. But if anyone here knows and cares to comment...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I wouldn't rule out doing one again if it's convenient and inexpensive (Chicago is easy to access for me, for example) and depending heavily upon who is presenting. But I'd like to make it to one of the informal DOs one of these days as it sounds more my style.
Thanks Fiero. This leads to an interesting question. Who are the absolute best Mile and Point presenters? And why, specifically, are they the best? Content? Style? Pace? Charisma? Ability to inspire and spark new ideas among attendees?

Without being nasty (please stay civil, polite, and professional), are there any presenters who aren't perhaps very good? Despite, perhaps, let's say, providing killer content on their blogs?

I think you've hit upon a Larger. more Widely Applicable Truth--I often based what courses I took in college upon whom I knew to be great and effective, and fun, Profs. Either from having previously taken classes with a Prof or sourcing my peers for Prof recommendations. Some Profs are just fantastic. Some are duds. Some are in-between. Some of the worst profs are Research Rockstars who find teaching Undergrads beneath them... and consider it an unpleasant chore and distraction from more "important" (from their perspective) work.

I have zero tolerance for Ego trips unless we're talking about folks operating on a certifiably Genius-level. Even then, there's never a good excuse for condescending to an audience of any kind.
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by freeloader

Regardless, personally the stuff they talk about at these seminars is usually pretty high level and not terribly helpful. Did a couple FTUs and the scene got tiring after the second - big name bloggers walking around acting like rock stars, presenters leaning on inside jokes, cliques. Some people were really cool though - Seth and the guy from Rapid Travel chi in particular

oh, yuk. I cannot imagine sitting through such a thing, much less paying money to sit through such a thing. Everyone seems to think they are a big deal on the Internet these days. It's sad but also very mesmerizing. I am fascinated by those folks in the same way I'm fascinated in a Chucky the doll film.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
oh, yuk. I cannot imagine sitting through such a thing, much less paying money to sit through such a thing. Everyone seems to think they are a big deal on the Internet these days. It's sad but also very mesmerizing. I am fascinated by those folks in the same way I'm fascinated in a Chucky the doll film.
Guess I'd like to see for myself and come to my own conclusions. But perhaps it's best in this case to Think Globally, Act Locally.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Great tip, thanks! And congrats on meeting your wife there--how cool. You know your Hobbies and Priorities are aligned. :-) Anyone know if there's an RDU / RTP (Central North Carolina) group? Guess I will check out the Community Forum and ask. But if anyone here knows and cares to comment...
PM me if you want... no specific group but between here and my blog I am in touch with a lot of us here locally and run the odd meetup
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
PM me if you want... no specific group but between here and my blog I am in touch with a lot of us here locally and run the odd meetup
Thanks ma. Will consider for some time this Summer or next Fall.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 3:54 am

Guess I'd like to see for myself and come to my own conclusions. But perhaps it's best in this case to Think Globally, Act Locally.
Re: sitting through in person, how about Try Before You Buy? In other words, of all the bloggers who present at these conferences, have any made their presentations available via YouTube? Then I could judge for myself their style, type of content presented, etc.

Many large pro conferences make video proceedings available for a fee. Wonder if any of the M&P conferences have considered doing so or would. Some purchasing video proceedings would decide to just watch and never attend in person again. But in my experience, a huge proportion of the value in conferences is the people you meet--not necessarily presenters, but fellow attendees, etc. And the memories you make. Thinking of Michio Kaku and his Caveman Principle. People are still very much wired to be social and do things face to face, break bread (or beer) together, etc. And so there's a lot of intangible value in attending a conference in the flesh.

Just some thoughts.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:10 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Re: sitting through in person, how about Try Before You Buy? In other words, of all the bloggers who present at these conferences, have any made their presentations available via YouTube? Then I could judge for myself their style, type of content presented, etc.

Many large pro conferences make video proceedings available for a fee. Wonder if any of the M&P conferences have considered doing so or would. Some purchasing video proceedings would decide to just watch and never attend in person again. But in my experience, a huge proportion of the value in conferences is the people you meet--not necessarily presenters, but fellow attendees, etc. And the memories you make. Thinking of Michio Kaku and his Caveman Principle. People are still very much wired to be social and do things face to face, break bread (or beer) together, etc. And so there's a lot of intangible value in attending a conference in the flesh.

Just some thoughts.
Some presentations from the seminars can be found online, eg, http://www.slideshare.net/mommypoint...s-presentation

Also, some detailed description of presentations can be found online, eg, http://boardingarea.com/viewfromthew...ndreds-people/

I doubt if you will ever see the presentations in online video form for free or even a fee as the organizers and presenters would then lose their ability to have attendees pay for their participation at future events. Particularly when you could glean the info from youtube then meet your social interaction desires at free local DOs.

Even the milepointTV youtube channel has become moribund: http://www.youtube.com/user/MilepointTV

That all said, just stumbled across this (limited) video from a FTU: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/deba...er-university/

Last edited by kokonutz; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:39 am
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've posted the slides from some of my presentations but, quite frankly, they're not so useful. That's because I use them to illustrate the point I'm making when I talk, not just something I read from when presenting.

I don't think anyone has made a video of the full presentations I've given. If such exists I've never seen it. And I'm pretty sure that an hour-long bit on YouTube is not going to give quite the same experience as being in the room, though I do understand wanting that option.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And I'm pretty sure that an hour-long bit on YouTube is not going to give quite the same experience as being in the room, though I do understand wanting that option.
I think you are correct. I'm sure his presentation was interesting in person, but watching that limited video of TPG is a bit like watching paint dry...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I think you are correct. I'm sure his presentation was interesting in person, but watching that limited video of TPG is a bit like watching paint dry...
Or like watching The Freddies on my computer (live) back in the day.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Stats for February:

View Screen Capture
Old Apr 11, 2014, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Stats for February:
And expect to see a similar spike to March 2014 just like last year thanks to the Freddies, though they're starting from a harder position.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by sbm12
And expect to see a similar spike to March 2014 just like last year thanks to the Freddies, though they're starting from a harder position.
Nope, thats not a spike, but a mild twitch:

View Screen Capture

https://siteanalytics.compete.com/mi...c=uv&months=12

View Screen Capture
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:15 am

Is there a 'post here for a chance to win a prize' contest going on?

Or just folks coming to grips with the DL and AA changes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.