Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > External Miles and Points Resources
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone here also post on Milepoint?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:12 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tom911
Another iPad giveaway won't hurt, either.
People still use iPads!?!!!? That's SOOOO 2012!
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
a failure in particular for that said group of people to try and redirect the discussion from here to a site they control and have a financial interest in.
Who said they were going to redirect it? I participate in multiple online communities.

Again, you assume this is zero-sum.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kokonutz
People still use iPads!?!!!? That's SOOOO 2012!
O.K. They can give away whatever FT is giving away, then.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so basically for airlines MP has UA and AA - these forums are huge on FT, so they can be a lot less huge on MP
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
MP is a great place for a new guy, it never hurts to look at other places for information...

A lot more BS on FT, but BS is good sometimes.,,

I like them both, and I started flying in the 50s.,
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by kokonutz
There is plenty to 'like' about the MP platform and management. (pun clearly intended)

I do think that the 4 co-founders sincerely thought they had a better mousetrap with the newer software platform.

According to co-founder Gary Leff, the value proposition for MP was "bringing live chats with heads of programs to members, sponsoring frequent flyer activities, supporting the charitable efforts of members (the Kiva team on Milepoint has lent out over $1 million! the site has donated thousands to Komen, etc)… plus the effort to build a friendly and welcoming community."

According to co-founder Randy Petersen, here was the value proposition:

"• Milepoint was able to start with a newer technology platform, while FlyerTalk, with its millions of users and gigantic archive, is less nimble and has to retool to make changes.
• Milepoint is easier to search and often displays newer threads than FlyerTalk, which sometimes answers queries with threads from 2007.
• While FlyerTalk enables you to subscribe to a thread and receive e-mail notifications instantly, daily or weekly when someone replies to the thread, Milepoint, which also has e-mail notifications, goes a step further. It optionally displays a red flag above "Alerts" on the top right of the page when someone updates the discussion.
• With its massive community, FlyerTalk defined "social media" before anyone knew the term. But Milepoint has become a bit more social, installing a "like" button. This enables users to highlight useful posts and Milepoint to show the most relevant content as judged by the crowd."

But, for me, their management stumbled badly out of the gate with a lack of transparency that left me cold (as the linked thread spells out). You never get a second chance to make a first impression and all that.

The fact is that there have been several attempts to replicate/improve upon FlyerTalk. Most fail. I was involved with one in 2005 or 2006 or so (moremiles.org) that petered out (the idea was FT without oppressive moderators).

But none have had Randy and his resources behind them.

In the end, the market decides.
It always seemed to me that some of those things could have been done with FT....friendly and welcoming to new members; some industry "chat" and such they want to bring in; changes in policy on megathreads to keep things fresher; revamping site administration.

And some of those things already existed on FT (Kiva team, other charitable activities).

I have no technical expertise on what it would take to change the platform that FT runs on - I'd guess it's quite an undertaking but don't know. While I do like the MP appearance and functionality better, that isn't a deciding factor in itself for me.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I have no technical expertise on what it would take to change the platform that FT runs on - I'd guess it's quite an undertaking but don't know.
The software platform on which FlyerTalk operates — vBulletin — is a division of Internet Brands, as is FlyerTalk.

In other words, do not expect a platform change anytime soon.

A platform upgrade, however, is another story — but that would only occur if it is determined that an upgrade version of the vBulletin bulletin board software can handle FlyerTalk and its traffic.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
so this is where this thread got buried

Last I saw this thread it was hanging out in Omni
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are apparently things (forum software or something) on FT that do not allow / prevent upgrade, IIRC

ive seen some discussion elsewhere suggesting some of the newer versions arent good
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there are apparently things (forum software or something) on FT that do not allow / prevent upgrade, IIRC

ive seen some discussion elsewhere suggesting some of the newer versions arent good
Those are good excuses on 99.999% of BBS; but they don't fly when your company owns and develops the software the Board is running on.

I enjoy the community here and could write volumes on what I've learned, but the software is dated and needs to be upgraded. Most noticeably the mobile version.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rehoult
Those are good excuses on 99.999% of BBS; but they don't fly when your company owns and develops the software the Board is running on.

I enjoy the community here and could write volumes on what I've learned, but the software is dated and needs to be upgraded. Most noticeably the mobile version.
take that up with the various people not just IB/etc who discussed this
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
take that up with the various people not just IB/etc who discussed this
Nobody but IB matters. They own the software; they develop the software. Any defect or un-upgradabilty is their fault, their problem and their job to solve. And it can be solved (not saying it might not be hard, but it can be done; it's programming, not rebuilding a used grenade).

I just hope they do it before they lose their market position. All companies, especially IT companies, will die if they don't innovate, and FT won't be an exception.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IBobi
Looking a tad further down the road (but probably this year), we plan to upgrade to a version of VB that allows us a much nicer mobile skin for the forums.
interesting
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:15 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by Canarsie
The software platform on which FlyerTalk operates — vBulletin — is a division of Internet Brands, as is FlyerTalk.

In other words, do not expect a platform change anytime soon.

A platform upgrade, however, is another story — but that would only occur if it is determined that an upgrade version of the vBulletin bulletin board software can handle FlyerTalk and its traffic.
Ah, I see. Didn't realize the connection with IB and the platform.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by tom911
It may be, minus the "volunteer member moderators". That's one feature I like over there.
Hmmm, I don't visit MP but your comment makes it sound to me like flying without the Americans' TSA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.